Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Need help on saving preferences! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25067)

13-02-2007 01:44 PM

Need help on saving preferences!

Hey guys,

I need some help with my preferences. Every time I go into Maya and check the preferences>settings they are always in centimeters. Although I change them into inches and hit save, every time I create a new scene they keep turning into centimeters.

Is there anyway I can permanently save them to inches? :confused:

Also, when I go into a toolÔs options box the settings in there end up being really small (like 0.3937 instead of 1.000). And when I hit reset and create a new scene, they still are really small.

Can I reset my tools all at once and save them permanently? :confused:

Thanks,
-Jr.Who

enhzflep 13-02-2007 03:27 PM

'elloo.

The thing with using the Windows->Preferences etc. route, is that that just changes the settings for the current scheme. This is usefull for doing (for example) a single project in metric when you usually work with imperial measurements.

To change the default settings that each scene is created with, simply goto File->NewScene[], when you change those settings, that's what you'll get everytime from then on.

As for the tool option, this is where the water can become a little muddy. The MEL command for the polygon cube on the polygons shelf is: "CreatePolygonCube". But, if you create your own shelf button for something, using ctrl-shift(select menu option you want a button for), the command is different! The MEL command for the polygon cube button on my _custom_ shelf reads "polyCube -w 1 -h 1 -d 1 -sx 1 -sy 1 -sz 1 -ax 0 1 0 -tx 1 -ch 1; objectMoveCommand;"

If I reset the tool settings and then change them to say x,y,z = 10, then hit create I get a 10x10x10 cube. If I move it away from the origin and then go to the polygons shelf and hit the cube button, it behaves as I would expect, and I get another 10x10x10 cube. If however I then go to my _custom_ shelf and hit the cube button, I get a 1x1x1 cube! So if the problem is with a custom button, just edit the MEL using the shelf-editor so that it is the same as the "original" button.

Something else worth mentioning, that you probably saw already is that above the menu option to "Reset Settings" for a tool, is the option "Save Settings".

As to reseting all tool settings at once - it's not something I'm aware of - perhaps could could nuke your prefs folder, but that'd kill any custom shelves you had, in addition to the custom defined units you already picked before, etc.

-S.
(Btw, thanx for that - I never realised the difference between the commands of default shelf buttons and custom ones before. That'll come in handy)

13-02-2007 03:51 PM

Thanks a lot, that completely solved my problem! :attn: