Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   NURBS Surfaces (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5775)

mshoward82 15-05-2003 02:44 PM

NURBS Surfaces?

1 Attachment(s)
My drawing is made up of many NURBS Surfaces.

How can I get them all joined together and smooth?

BabyDuck 15-05-2003 04:59 PM

from what it looks like it would be very complicated to stitch this together in nurbs. you can try to fillet blend them (this will give you smooth blends) and after that - globally stitch it together. going to subd and merge the edged together and go back to nurbs and then globally stitch it together might be an option too. the only thing that will happen, that the individual parts will be differant than what you planned them first to be.

mshoward82 15-05-2003 09:20 PM

Thanks BabyDuck. I'll try it tommorow.

I've learned from other posts that you can't stitch or attach NURBS that have been trimmed. And all of my surfaces have been trimmed.

I'm going through right now converting to polys and trying to combine them.

ragecgi 16-05-2003 12:52 AM

Thanks babyD!

Havn't seen you around latley, glad to know your still out there:)

BabyDuck 16-05-2003 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ragecgi
Thanks babyD!

Havn't seen you around latley, glad to know your still out there:)

i know - and i wont be as much here as i would like to be. right now i am in the middle of the process of immigrating to the usa. so i put maya aside for a while, as i dont want to abandon all the projects due to lack of time. and i promised myself one thing: i will not post any more wip until i have sucessfully finished something from scratch - and i will do that hopefully this lifetime.

BabyDuck 16-05-2003 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mshoward82
Thanks BabyDuck. I'll try it tommorow.

I've learned from other posts that you can't stitch or attach NURBS that have been trimmed. And all of my surfaces have been trimmed.

I'm going through right now converting to polys and trying to combine them.

what you always can do if you have a bigger gap and you dont want to fill it with polygon tools is this:

you copy the isoparms at the edges and loft, birail or quad surface them together before going to poly.

i suggest you go to subd though directly, as you will be closer to the original nurbs.

mshoward82 16-05-2003 12:16 PM

Thanks BabyD I'll try the converting to sub-d's.

And I welcome you to the USA. :)

NitroLiq 16-05-2003 12:28 PM

Hey BD,

The immigration stuff is finally going through, huh? Congrats, man!!

BabyDuck 16-05-2003 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NitroLiq
Hey BD,

The immigration stuff is finally going through, huh? Congrats, man!!

yap - the longest wait was to get it approved on the us side - they have a big backlog - but it left the usa - and is on its way to germany :)