Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Maya Modelling and Texturing Course is it worth it? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16093)

BMS 29-03-2005 06:53 AM

Maya Modelling and Texturing Course is it worth it?

There is a Short Course here in Melbourne (Australia) on Maya and its a 2 Day course in 3D Modeling and Texturing. Is it worth doing one of these short courses?

Course Content
· The ‘still life’ in the painting tradition
· Understanding key concepts; Cartesian
geometry, points and polygons, primitives
· Navigating the interface
· Breaking down objects
· Transforming and modifying geometry
· Polygons and subdivided surfaces
· Shaders and materials
· Textures and mapping
· An introduction to lighting
· Cameras and rendering

I'm wondering how much they could possibly cover in 2 x 6 hours. I'm guessing $450 Australian would buy me a fair few points on this site and I'm going to get more hours of training. Is the above a fair statement?

Thanks
Paul

lukedukeofpuke 29-03-2005 03:47 PM

I think it depends on how you learn best. For me it is really helpfull to be in a class where I can actully talk to the instructer in person. However if you think you can get more out of your money doing stuff online, it wont be worth it. If you are not sure you might want to give it a try. I guess it just depends on wether you can afford it or not. It may be a risk but I think that is the only way to make it. Another really nice thing about taking a class is you actully get to meet people, wich can prove to be a very good thing.

cung 30-03-2005 01:31 AM

you'll get more from the shortcourse because there is a level of interactivity with the tutors that you couldn't get from tutorials.

but from what your description and course titles- it seems to me to be a crash course in a basic/foundation level within the application - just going over the tools with demo of how they can be used etc.

but for me i like to jump straight into the deep end - so attending the course based on your description wouldn't appeal to me, but i'd take a closer look into what they will be going through etc before you make your decision, find out their programme and the things they are going through- if you already know it then don't bother and spend the money elsewhere-

find out what your getting out of it before you invest... as education in this application comes at a high price :(

BMS 30-03-2005 01:47 AM

I can already do basic modelling and basic animation. I've even started having a play with Maya Live, trying out some test clips. I'm just wondering how much could they possibly pack into 12 hours of training.

I have touched basis with them to see if they can provide more info.

Thanks Guys.

Cheers
Paul