Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Programming (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Is anyone using MEL? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2880)

dannyngan 27-12-2002 01:03 AM

Is anyone using MEL?

Of all the forums up here, this one seems to get very little traffic. Either everyone here is very comfortable with MEL and expressions or no one's really using it. Just curious...

Kurt 27-12-2002 02:40 AM

I haven't played with them much, I guess I should sometime soon.

kbrown 27-12-2002 12:55 PM

I play with it from time to time. Here's what I did a while back: http://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...&threadid=2032

ragecgi 28-12-2002 10:31 PM

I agree, I wish this area was a little more active, however I think that the way folks around here have been using it is on a case by case basis, and post a question when they run into problems.

Is there a particular question you had in mind?

If so, this Mel section is moderated by Kal, so feel free to post more questions:)

Kevin 28-12-2002 10:53 PM

yep... I agree, fill it up for us dannyngan :)

dannyngan 28-12-2002 11:15 PM

I don't really have any questions. I was more curious about why this particular forum has such low traffic compared to the others. MEL and expressions are just normal parts of my normal workflow -- custom scripts, animation controls, batch processes, shortcuts, etc. I realize that, in general, there are more people modeling and texturing which don't usually need a lot of scripting. Being a character rigger and animator, I always deal with scripts and expressions in my work. Anyhow, I was just curious.

And Kevin, I'll see if I can come up with something to fill up this forum. :)

ragecgi 28-12-2002 11:26 PM

GREAT!

Thanks man!

Kevin 29-12-2002 01:56 PM

yep I guess it shows what people use maya the most for, now and again we have some mels, but not that often... shame because its really usefull

Darkon 05-01-2003 07:47 PM

I'm reading the Mel manual again here....and it's just too "geeky" :(

I enjoy the use of Mel when I use it like a Photoshop action, but to actually script from scratch is just too boring for me :(

If there was a way to make it more interesting and accesible I would love it! Some people are artistic and some are technical, I can make music or 3d, but I can't make heads or tails of this techno-babble I'm reading.I would really appreciate some help as I do realize the power of Mel, just can't break through the wall of the language :(

I think it's the same for a lot of people...I always wondered why programming was done in so called "secret" languages ;)

Darkon

ragecgi 05-01-2003 08:08 PM

I agree, it's the same for me as well:)

dannyngan 05-01-2003 08:12 PM

The Mel manual isn't exactly recreational reading. You're better off whacking yourself on the head with it. :)

Realistically, I think most people use Mel primarily as "macroscripts", and there's nothing wrong with that. Most times, you don't need to write scripts from scratch, especially if someone's already done it. You really only need to understand the basics of Mel and how it functions.

There are two books coming out very soon that might be of interest to people here:

Complete Maya Programming: An Extensive Guide to MEL and the C++ API by David Gould
MEL Scripting for Maya Animators by Mark Wilkins

Both authors are Maya experts and well-respected in the 3D community. David Gould is an artist and programmer at Weta Digital, and Mark Wilkins has a long history as technical director on everything from Dinosaur to Minority Report. David Gould's book is probably more programming and tools oriented for the techie types. Mark Wilkins' book is probably going to more artist-friendly. I'll most likely end up getting both for my library.

kal 05-01-2003 08:34 PM

Pre ordered the ...for Maya animators book last week - should be with me by the end of the month.
Like most people reading the mel docs that come with maya bores me to tears, so hopefully this book is going to offer a new and interesting perspective :D
Will add a little mini review in here when it arrives and had a chace to work through some of it.

kbrown 05-01-2003 08:58 PM

I think the first obstacle to cross when learning MEL is the syntax. If you've programmed with C or C++ before you'll understand MEL pretty well. If not, it may seem like swahili language :D

So a basic C/C++ user guide could also help newbies to learn MEL as well...

Just my $0.02.

ragecgi 05-01-2003 09:45 PM

Can't wait for the review, I'm going to pre-order it on the 25th of his month, uless it's released sooner?

Anyone know when it's comin out?

dannyngan 05-01-2003 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kbrown
I think the first obstacle to cross when learning MEL is the syntax. If you've programmed with C or C++ before you'll understand MEL pretty well. If not, it may seem like swahili language :D

So a basic C/C++ user guide could also help newbies to learn MEL as well...

Just my $0.02.

By extension, if you've worked with Flash ActionScript or JavaScript (both very similar), then you can probably pick up MEL fairly quickly as well. Foundations in C/C++ are very helpful, but if you've scripted before, you've got the basics down for MEL.