Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Animation (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Make flag blow and whip the other way (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35323)

brent_reel 21-03-2011 07:52 PM

Make flag blow and whip the other way

so im making a space ship and im going to have it blowing in the wind, then when the it comes down for a landing, i want the flags wind to switch from direction +x to -x, and then the magnitude to go from 20, to 50 or so. within a few frames or instantly.

any easy ideas =)

stwert 21-03-2011 09:11 PM

If understand correctly, you should be able to key the wind direction and the magnitude in the attribute editor (RMB > key selected). If you want instant change, you only need to set the original key at the start frame, and the new values where you want the change to take place, then importantly, change the tangents (in the graph editor) to stepped. Hope that helps. Let me know if I misunderstood the question.

brent_reel 22-03-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stwert (Post 316441)
If understand correctly, you should be able to key the wind direction and the magnitude in the attribute editor (RMB > key selected). If you want instant change, you only need to set the original key at the start frame, and the new values where you want the change to take place, then importantly, change the tangents (in the graph editor) to stepped. Hope that helps. Let me know if I misunderstood the question.

Well I thought I tried that. Is it just put the direction where I want it to start, they say on frame 50 I would just change the direction and use s to keyframe again? I thought I did that but I didn't do the second part with the graph. Could you go into more detail with that?

stwert 22-03-2011 05:29 PM

That sounds pretty much correct. However, I don't think you can use 's' to keyframe, as that just keys the transform channels. You'll have to actually RMB > key selected over the wind attribute you want to change.

Now, in the graph editor, select the wind field, or whatever you are using to do the blowing, and you should get the attributes that are keyed showing up in the graph editor. Hit 'a' to frame all. Marquee select over all the keys (they will turn white and tangents will appear). I believe there's a menu in the graph editor called Tangents. Go Tangents > Stepped. The shape of the curves should change to straight lines, and as you play it back, the value should change immediately at the frame you set. Hope that makes sense.

brent_reel 22-03-2011 05:58 PM

yes! i havent worked with the graph stuff yet, but just key framing the direction moved! i had no idea you could key frame values in actual text boxes =D thats going to solve so many problems for me! thank you

im still having troubles with the graph editor but im getting close to the effect i want just using the key frames. just a little thing for school so thats all good! thanks again stwert! your always great help =)

stwert 22-03-2011 07:51 PM

Glad I could help... yeah, the graph editor takes some getting used to, it's not that intuitive. Hope you get it sorted out.