Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ultimate new newbie :) help me :) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5231)

Teraptus 16-04-2003 08:32 PM

Ultimate new newbie :) help me :)

I'm doing a uni course and we are using maya 4.0 atm...

i remember last week we got showed how 2 add textures 2 things such as fur, plants, leaves, skin, etc but i totally forgot how 2 get 2 em...

help me plz...

soz about being such a noobie

Tera

EagleKing 16-04-2003 08:38 PM

mmh...I am n00b ,too but I think you have to go to
window > rendering editors > hypershade

Teraptus 16-04-2003 08:45 PM

no, it was different to that...i don't know what it was but it was a kool tool that u could for example...

have a cube and make it look like a big plant or even add a skin texture to it....but i don't think we used hypershade 2 do it...

reason i'm asking is because i wanna make trees/plants/bushes?

any help would be great

Tera

Darkware 16-04-2003 09:00 PM

You probably assigned a texture to it that looked like a plant. Hypershade is the main place you do all texturing in, but you can assign materials to objects by right-clicking>materials>assign new material then click the checkered box to the right of the color slider to choose a texture. The texture you used was probably that of a plant image. (use a file texture) As for the skin, you are talking about a skin shader. It's not much different from what I just explained, only your texture will look like skin instead of a plant.

If you want to change the color or texture of an object, you have to modify it's material. By default, Maya assigns the default lambert material to any object you create. If you want to give the object some color, you have to assign a new material to the object. (it's generally bad to change the default lambert texture) So, in hypershade you can create any material, texture, or shader-modifying node quickly. You can then select your object, right-click the material in hypershade, and choose "assign material to selection." This, obviously sticks the material in hypershade onto the object you selected.

So, this is basically how materials and textures work. Hope this helps.

Darkware 16-04-2003 09:06 PM

Oh, also you may have painted directly on the object. You can do this under the Rendering menu and choosing Texturing>3D Paint Tool. Don't forget to make the object paintable. You can do this in the 3D Paint Tool options box. Under the File Textures tab, click "Assign Textures" and set a size.

mtmckinley 16-04-2003 10:53 PM

You might also be referring to Paint FX rather than actually texturing something.

Nem 17-04-2003 12:26 AM

or to apply materials without the hypershade, right click and use the marking menu :)

Teraptus 17-04-2003 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well lol i'm still stuck...

This is what we did, create a cylinder then on the cylinder we added like plant stems then in the options we could increaes attributes like amount of leaves, colours, weather they would sway in the wind, size, number etc...it was a brilliant thing and perfect for what i need? maybe it was just at uni but i know its the same version...

cus i can't find the same tool we used at uni...

basically i need to create a sort of toony backdrop/background fro a forest/mountains theme...

will need trees and bushes?...
and on the floor grass and stuff

lol i've attacted a jpeg i drew in paint lol (i know its crap)...just so u get a idea of what i'm trying to create... in the fore ground characters will be present...

any help on this will be kool!

thxs in advance

Tera

mtmckinley 17-04-2003 03:47 AM

yeah, that's Paint FX.

What you do is create an object (usually NURBS, in this case, a NURBS sphere).

In the Rendering menu set, go to Paint Effects > Make Paintable.

This, obviously, makes the object paintable.

Then, go to Window > General Editors > Visor. By default, the Paint Effects tab should be selected and the different categories are visible. Choose trees. Choose a kind of tree brush. I'm choosing birchBlowing.mel.

Now, when you mouse over the sphere, the painting icon should appear (a red circular cursor). Left mouse click and drag to paint on the sphere. You'll see a number of trees "grow" out of the sphere, depending on how long a stroke you draw. When you let go of the mouse, you'll also see many of them disapear. That's because by default, only 20% of what is actually created is displayed because of how taxing they are on the computer.

Hit Ctrl + A for the Attributes. Choose the birchBlowing tab at the top and you'll find the dozens of sliders and options for your tree to control number of leaves, colors, twigs, etc.

:)

mtmckinley 17-04-2003 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic:

Teraptus 17-04-2003 10:03 AM

YYYAAAYYY!

thats the one!

thanks alot m8!