Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Easiest way to have different camera angles for a scene? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31491)

Mike45450 05-12-2008 12:07 PM

Easiest way to have different camera angles for a scene?

Hi guys,

I've been playing around with Maya for a few months now,and am starting to work on animating my characters with little short scenes. However i'm wonderng what's the easiest way to have different camera shots using just one camera so I can easily render out an avi file if needed?

The method that pops into my head is to key the camera at the start point, then key it again in the same position one frame before I want to change shot (so that I don't get any translate movement), and then move it into it's new position for the new shot and key that. But that seems way too longwinded and inefficient, so is there an easier way? And feel free to correct my method such as if there's a way to say "at X seconds automatically switch to Camera Y" or whatever.

Thanks!

05-12-2008 12:15 PM

Why don't you just create more cameras?

Mike45450 05-12-2008 12:26 PM

Because wouldn't that create a bunch of seperate video files that i'd need to stitch back together with some video editing software? Unless there's a way to say "at X seconds jump to Camera Y".

Like I said, i've not really animated before so not sure on the best methods. I've been looking at Mike's global rendering settings tutorial video and he suggests to render out in TGA images, so that's thrown me off a bit.

05-12-2008 12:27 PM

Just render out the amount of frames you need for the one camera, and then go to the other camera and render out the rest of the frames needed.

Gen 05-12-2008 12:32 PM

Normally different cameras would be used then the different shots would be rendered out and edited. But if you insist on rendering out avi formats (which are large and clumsy) then you could just use stepped keys when setting keyframes on the camera.

05-12-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GecT
But if you insist on rendering out avi formats (which are large and clumsy)
Yeah, but Maya's terrible with AVIs. Just about as bad as it is with JPGs. lol

Chirone 05-12-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike45450
I've been looking at Mike's global rendering settings tutorial video and he suggests to render out in TGA images, so that's thrown me off a bit.
rendering image sequences > rendering straight to avi
hence the reason why Mike rendered out a sequence of TGAs

Jay 05-12-2008 11:46 PM

its easier on system resources to render separate files out instead of an AVI which if for example is done in an HD format you would a end up with a monster file size at the end of rendering as maya does not compress. Its actually easier to render the images as the files will be smaller in size then its a case of getting them comped together.

Also advantage of rendering image sequences are you can stop the render at anytime for whatever reason and then have the choice to go back and continue from where you left off. Ideal if a frame needs fixing up. this is not an option with AVI, you'd have to start over.

JPGS are not ideal in these circumstances really unless its a desperate situation LOL

Either stepped keys are good or multiple cameras it doesnt matter, but if you dont want the hassle of editing then Gects method is the way to go there.

Jay