Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   small elephant (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26358)

xmikx 22-05-2007 02:13 AM

small elephant

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

here's my new project, as i got a bit bored with my other one. I wanted to model a toon like elephant. Its completly modeld with polygons (about 44500tris) Soon i want to try some IK and Animations, because i didn't work much with that.

As usual, feel free to grab the red pen :)

Joopson 22-05-2007 02:33 AM

well, you dont need that many polys. maybe put it back down to like 20000 or less

but thats just my opinion

and maybe make the tusks bigger

gster123 22-05-2007 10:33 AM

Could you show a wireframe of your model prior to smoothing, the polycount that youve got seems quite high, did you smooth it twice?

arran 22-05-2007 10:56 AM

Looks good xmikx!

Apart from the high poly count - the eyes are looking a little odd - i think you need to set them into the head a little bit more - at the moment the raised edge is making them pop a little. Also the ears are looking a little funny - not sure they would bend back like that. Not sure if these are stylistic choices that you've made, but at the moment they look a little odd.

It would also be nice to model his toes - elephants have crazy chunky toes and they would really add to your model.

Good job, though - this has a lot of character. :beer:

xmikx 22-05-2007 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Friends,

yeah i smoothed it twice. after joopsons post, i returned the model to smooth +1, and added a hell of edges and faces. now it looks definiatly better, and i have about 15000 now, with smooth +1.

i modified the ears a bit, the eye is different (maybe still too far from head?) and the tusks are shorter, as this will be a small baby elephant :) :attn:

yeah thats a really good idea with the toes. :beer:
can't wait to let him, walk :) :attn:

cheers and thanks for the comments,

mike :beer:

xmikx 22-05-2007 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wireframe after cutting, and adjusting about 2000 polys

xmikx 22-05-2007 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
back view :)

gster123 22-05-2007 04:13 PM

Hey Man, looks good, one suggestion that I would give you is to add some extra loops round wheres your model will be deforming, it will really help when you come to skinning the model. Also if you want to anumate the high poly have a look into using the wrap deformer, this way you can rig and skin the low poly model (which is a lot easier when it comes to painting weights for the model) and then use this to drive the high poly model.

Also when you use the low poly model to animate your PC will move much faster (you basically hide the high poly, animate then at render time unhide the high poly then hide the low poly.) so it will make the animation a bit easier on your system.

xmikx 22-05-2007 05:33 PM

thanks gster for your advice.

but i acctually didn't get it how to use the wrap deformer. i read that it needs an object (probarly polygon) but didn't figure it out.
would be really nice if you had some sort of advice about that, as i'm not really common with rigging and skinning.

cheers man. :beer:

xmikx 24-05-2007 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Everyone please say hi to Paul, the Baby Elephant :-) :attn:

mastone 24-05-2007 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
looks great man:beer:
the only thing that needs fixing in my opinion are the lines i drew on your picture( sorry for that:p )
if you want to make the skin more realistic add a leather texture to the bump map channel.

keep up the good work man:beer:

arran 24-05-2007 12:40 PM

yeah - nice work xmikx - very cute - i might make his tail a lot shorter - seeing as he is a baby - he needs a really short stubby tail.

olfa 22-03-2015 06:51 PM

nice
very nice