Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Thing (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15518)

mhcannon 21-02-2005 09:39 PM

The Thing

1 Attachment(s)
I like Michael Chiklis and thing he'll be a great Benjamin Grimm; aka Thing, but I'm not sure about the look of the thing costume. Decided I'd take a crack at a CG version. Wish me luck.

mhcannon 22-02-2005 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thing's head is just about done, just need add his bottom teeth and bit of poly clean up. The plan is to use displacement maps for final detail of stone look.

Element_Khaos 22-02-2005 06:49 AM

nice. i read lots of comics and to me you seem to have fully gotten something about him that makes it look really like him. good work.

RubberChicken 22-02-2005 02:41 PM

Very nice, you got his look spot on.

Element_Khaos 22-02-2005 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RubberChicken
Very nice, you got his look spot on.
yah thats what i meant :P

mhcannon 22-02-2005 08:39 PM

Thanks RC, EK,
Roughing in the body now. Still a lot of tweaking to do. Not to mention hands and feet, oh and maybe some shorts.

mhcannon 22-02-2005 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick render.

mhcannon 27-02-2005 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Managed some more tweaking on the body. I know his arms are long, but based on most of the images I've seen, the Thing is a bit of a nuckle dragger. Will try to get the hands next.

LauriePriest 27-02-2005 09:37 PM

nice stuff, head looks a tad too small, the size of the head from top to bottom should be the same as from the naval to the bottom of the crotch i belive. Keep at it.

mhcannon 27-02-2005 10:00 PM

Thanks, I'll probably increase his head some, but be warned that the Thing is a bit of gumba, big body, small head, so he won't quite meet normal proportions.

mhcannon 27-02-2005 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, not quite so much of a peanut head :0 but still has some gumba-ish quality. Attached the head in order to work out the neck/shoulder area. Attached the hands also. Accidentally smoothed and appearently putter around too much to go back to the unsmoothed mesh, so I'm in the process of cleaning up the mesh to bring the poly count back down (around 11K Tris right now). Then I still have to make some feet. I've never liked drawing feet, wonder how modeling them will go...

LauriePriest 28-02-2005 07:24 AM

The head looks good now, i can scan in some anatomical stuff i have if ya want, or is it just an issue with feet and you that needs taking outside for a punch up? :D

mhcannon 28-02-2005 07:40 AM

LauriePriest,
I can do the feet, but I do appreciate the offer of anatomical reference. Must be some psychological thing that makes me aprehensive about feet :) Just wish the Thing wore shoes or boots, but no such luck... at least not in most of the Fantastic Four issues. Guess if you have stones for skin shoes are pretty much pointless.

mhcannon 19-03-2005 07:07 PM

Head update

1 Attachment(s)
Had to take a break from the bot competition, so dabble a bit more with this WIP.

Jay 19-03-2005 08:28 PM

mhcannon

Looking pretty neat, although you could do with some more detail on the mesh around the eyes, or are you keeping it lo poly, I saw you are gonna do a Dis' Map on it but I still think you could use some more detail. Doesn't he have ears?

Cheers
Jango