Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   portfolio tips and suggestions (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6945)

ckyuk 16-07-2003 06:47 PM

portfolio tips and suggestions

I've only got 12 months maybe two years to get a portfolio together for an animation course at uni (that includes learning most of the skills need to produce the work in it as i've only started using Maya about four months ago) but don't know where to start. Any tips or suggestions?

mtmckinley 16-07-2003 07:34 PM

Hold on a sec...

You're wanting to produce a portfolio in order to get into a university?

adldesigner 16-07-2003 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Hold on a sec...

Lots of art institutions ask for a portfolio when trying to get in. Maybe it´s not a profesional portfolio perse, but they do want to evaluate the artistic skills of the aspirant.

I had to show three samples of artwork before being accepted at my university.

As per your portfolio ckyuk, I would actually get into a crash course drawing course, then create several samples of traditional artwork, as it is a general belief that someone who knows a bit these principles, will actually apply them when creating 3d artwork. By the way ... Always show your best stuff first!

ckyuk 16-07-2003 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Hold on a sec...

Yep, i wasn't expecting it either, but they want me to.

As for traditional artwork i'm thinking of taking a national diploma in art this year.

Blinn 16-07-2003 08:04 PM

Which university are you planning on?

I'm thinking about Bournemouth myself

ckyuk 16-07-2003 08:15 PM

Bournemouth is a bit far for me at the moment so i'm thinking about Glamorgan. I don't know that much about it though so i'm trying to find some shorts they have produced.

Cyborg Corp 16-07-2003 08:32 PM

I dont understand. So what if you're completely new to art and suck at it...you cant get into an art college?

adldesigner 16-07-2003 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HAL 9000
I dont understand. So what if you're completely new to art and suck at it...you cant get into an art college?
Well, let´s say it this way .. someone who has a far better grasp of Math will get a better chance of entering an Engineering Career than someone who does not, don´t you think?

Same precept applies here mate. Common sense.

I mean, you might have a chance, but if someone does present a better portfolio than you, HE WILL HAVE A GO BEFORE YOU. That way the University has a far more advanced student capable of much more, thus enhancing the name and spirit of the institution when finally on the work field.

Cyborg Corp 16-07-2003 11:20 PM

so how the hell do people get into college dealing with CG if they've never done it before? the college can't expect them to go out and dish out $7000 to buy the software, can they?

Witchy 17-07-2003 12:25 AM

PLE? There is a free version of most of the major software products, if people want to mess with them they are just a download away.

Or perhaps with one of the cheaper or free software programmes. And 2D takes talent and practice (have neither myself!) not £7k.

I don't see why you wouldn't have to have a portfolio or evidence to get into any course - I had to have decent grades in certain things to read what I read at University, why would 3d be any different if the end product is a degree etc?

dannyngan 17-07-2003 01:03 AM

@ckyuk:

I suggest spending a great deal of time developing foundation art skills. Strengthen your drawing abilities. Demonstrate an understanding of light and color through painting, photography, and/or 3D renderings. Don't worry so much about becoming proficient at any particular software package. In the end, it's the work that matters, not the tools.

-----

Regarding the need for portfolios in art school applications...

IMO, as a teacher and a professional artist, art schoosl are designed for those with prior experience, regardless of whether it is self-taught or through formal training. The whole point of going to art school is to further develop and polish your existing skills and/or talent and enhance them withh additional knowledge and training. Therefore, it is necessary to see portfolios of incoming students to see if they have the fundamental skills and potential to develop into better, professional artists. Portfolios are a lot like aptitude test scores. You need to have certain minimum requirements before you can be accepted into a university (at least in American universities). It's no different with art. You can't really have test scores for art, so that's where portfolios come into play.

If you're completely new to art (and suck at it), take a couple of basic drawing classes or practice a lot on your own. Develop the basic language to survive in the art field. If it's easier to learn software to develop the foundation skills, go for it. Bottom line is you need some sort of background to get into most art schools. For example, you wouldn't become a literature major and expect the department to teach you how to read. You need to know the basics before going in there. Same thing goes for art school.

adldesigner 17-07-2003 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dannyngan
... Regarding the need for portfolios in art school applications...

Ahh, a very thought out reply. I need to start making those. :p

doodle 26-07-2003 02:50 AM

My plan: To do a Art & Design Foundation degree (1 year) to build a portfolio/enhance art skills then take a BA in Fine Art. (Hell, i can self-learn Maya/animation...etc) After the fine art thing, if i'm good enough at 3D, job hunting, if not, i'll do a MA in Animation at Bournemouth, the same one Pure's doing - i think.

Well, thats my plan, sound good?

Alan 26-07-2003 02:48 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking about Bournemouth myself
I go to bournemouth and I'm doing the MSc computer animation. It's a great course here, i'm handing in my thesis and project in under a month :( check out the link in the sig to see the project

Alan

Blinn 26-07-2003 06:37 PM

yeah id really love to go there for 3 years. although im assuming cost of living will be insane. can you give me any info on the dorms there Pure? Do they include high speed connection?

my other option is Vancourver film school. I've seen ALOT of really nice stuff come outta there. They use XSI though
:mad: and its only a one year course.

lastly, i was thinking about trying to get into nascad, a fine arts school, to become better at the traditional arts.

So many choices!

:banghead: