Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Zbrush 3.5 r3 UV master (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34027)

daverave 26-04-2010 11:21 AM

Zbrush 3.5 r3 UV master

Hi all
Is any one using the uv master, I normaly delete the polys were the eye ball goes on a face model but in uv master it keep placing a seam there, I have used the paint tool but that does not stop it placing the seam on the eye do I need to close of this area with some polys or is there some thing I am missing..........dave

Jay 26-04-2010 12:00 PM

Dave

Im using it. Can you post up a pic so I can see. Ive not had any probs with it. If I do I usually tweak in Maya then bring it back

cheers
J

daverave 26-04-2010 12:27 PM

Hi Jay
I didnt save it, is it as good as it looks no more spending hours tweeking uvs...................dave

Jay 26-04-2010 12:36 PM

Yeah it is, theres always a little bit of tweaking to do though but nowhere near what you'd expect - it does give you a good head start.

Jay

Mayaniac 26-04-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay
Yeah it is, theres always a little bit of tweaking to do though but nowhere near what you'd expect - it does give you a good head start.

Jay

Yeah, I've found that. It's not too great at optimizing your UV space. It's always worth pulling them back into Maya for tweaking.

daverave 27-04-2010 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Guys
I sorted that problem out it was the mouth not closed, trying to understand uv master why is there a distortion in the mouth and nostral area as the model is symetrical..........dave

Jay 27-04-2010 08:39 PM

Cool..good to hear.

Although this UV master is pretty damn good and is probably the best out there to get stuff unwrapped fast, I think theres a fair amount of laziness within the modelling community when it comes to the actual laying out of uvs - in earnest everyone wants to do it quick with these auto mappers and pelters etc with actually really no knowledge of the fundamentals of uv layout.

If I were to show some of the uv layouts Ive seen in the last two weeks for a multi million dollar movie some of you would just cry in horror and hopefully laughter at the rubbish myself and a few of the other experienced artists (including texture artists) have witnessed and had to correct to get stuff thru a pipeline has just been insane. The amount of modellers who just take it for granted that once uv software has done the unwrap, thats it - and then send it on for texturing without any care or attention to things like overlap or reversed shells. It just insane. and what kills me is there are people I know who would do it properly and kill for a job like these and yet the fudgers always get thru.

Anyway my point being here dont rely on these automated mappers no matter how good you or the next guy thinks it is. Yes use them to a degree to get a good head start but the more care and attention you give the uvs after the intial unwrap, then so much the better your final model will look once its textured lit and rendered......

anyway rant over

Jay

daverave 27-04-2010 08:59 PM

Hi Jay
I dont mind a rant but is this normal, do I have to fix this myself if so OK then I know the limitation of uv master.........dave

Jay 27-04-2010 10:25 PM

If you have inner mouth and nasal cavitys try detaching them in Maya first. Then just bring in the head. Shoud be better, but as I said before in an earlier post, expect to do some tweaking

Jay

daverave 27-04-2010 11:04 PM

Hi Jay
Is this normal for a uv master projection.............dave

Jay 27-04-2010 11:29 PM

Depends how you define normal, but it will have limitations. As Im not sure how you are doing this completely I cant really answer that.

But how are you doing it? Are you just doing unwrap or are you doing Control Painting, Also try painting areas where you dont want seams.

And have you got symmetry hilited in the UV master options????????

everything is answered in the PDF user for the UV master, if you get super stuck, ask over at Zbrush Central, they usually have thread on stuff like this

anyway off to bed.....

Jay