Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   why robots and transformors?? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20967)

mirek03 06-04-2006 04:34 AM

why robots and transformors??

Why is everyone so big on robots and transformors?? The sky is the limit with maya but I see little WIP and stuff of beautifully lite rooms and interiors or exteriors, Organic celestial beauties and so forth, it's all battle ships and robots, what's going on???

MattTheMan 06-04-2006 11:59 AM

I like interiors :D I made one a while back

mirek03 06-04-2006 11:54 PM

LOL:beer:

swankymonkey 07-04-2006 06:13 AM

Hmm ... at this moment I don't see a single robot or battleship in the WIP section ...

I think for the most part working in 3D is pretty time consuming so people tend to work individual characters or objects as opposed to full scenes. I also beleive that you are just seeing a small fraction of whats being done out in the big bad world. And, quite frankly, I think the younger crowd that seems to dominate this particular site likes to express what they feel passionate about artistically which happens to be a lot of sci fi subjects ... and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Also, if you showed me a beautifully rendered landscape of a field of wildflowers at sunset I'd say: "Throw in a couple of ninjas fighting a terminator and call it done"

Dave

t1ck135 07-04-2006 07:19 AM

lol, you hit it on the nail there swanky :)

mirek03 07-04-2006 07:36 AM

as you know, I couldn't model my way out of a wet paper bag. I DID NOT say anything was wrong with anything, that's your take on it, it was purely a question of aesthetics. On one hand you mention the younger crowd and their love for si-fi, which was all i was asking and frankly answered the question and on the other hand you mention their are no robots, ect, in WIP, look again around on the other forums, but that's not the point, I enjoy them too, hell I would make them if i could. it was not meant to be an attack on the maya community (hell I would hope I was one of them) , it was a query in fun and at least Matt got the joke.

anyway, i'd love to see someone make an interior so i could understand the concept and learn, that is where I was coming from my friend.

but yes, you did answer the question, thank you, but I've had a rough day and frankly at the moment i'm sick of people reading stuff into things I say that are not there, (you got me on a bad day, :headbang: :eek: )

and as for hitting nails on heads, he missed and hit his thumb.

swankymonkey 07-04-2006 08:07 AM

Mirek, dude, read your first post again. Sounds pretty condescending, doesn't it? Maybe you didn't mean it that way. I honestly don't care. But all that aside you simply stated your opinion and I stated mine. Relax.

Dave

mirek03 07-04-2006 09:43 AM

cool, and tick, i'm using your bouncing ball tut, thanks, you have a kind voice.

mmoore5553 07-04-2006 11:26 AM

bouncing ball tut ???

happymat27 07-04-2006 01:57 PM

Hey there mirek,

interesting point you've made there. My opinion on the matter is that while we're learning to model we start with what we know. If you put a box of Lego bricks in front of a male child chances are that he will first of all build a gun, robot or spaceship, now if you think that most users on this forum are male and imagine Maya as a big box of Lego bricks.......

Also there is software out there, (Vue, Bryce etc.) that is designed specifically for building scenes.

You said that you couldn't model you're way out of a wet paper bag, having seen (on Jays thread) what you are capable of with graphite I'd be really interested to see some of your 3d work, I bet it's no where near as bad as you think. I've learnt pretty much everything I know about 3d from this site, people are always willing to assist your progress in any way they can. Go on jump in!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

mirek03 07-04-2006 11:46 PM

uumm, I think we see what we want to see and hear what we want to hear. I re-read the post I made and didn't think it was really condescending and thought if that's how it reads to some then, so be it. I could see how it could be mistaken for a , what? , a dig!

in a way it was but it was meant lightheartedly, it is a serious problem I have that I seem to start controversy without meaning to by people's interpretation.
Interesting, mat, you see the post differently. I was actually interested in why, and I have a couple of good answers now and some insight. the lego analogy is a good one, basically we are all still boys playing with toys, I am anyway, I think it healthy. Deadlines are a differant thing. I would just love to see some nice lighting, that's all.

my pencil work, 20 years ago was near perfect, thought it lacked expression because it was too realistic, to the point of sterile. My modelling, I plug away, There is a course here I recently discovered, 6 months, I will do when I get the money. This site has been a god send because i don't feel so alone in this heavy ended program and everyone is helpful and generous with their time, despite deadlines. I think in another 12 months I can say i am alright at modelling. I asked jay how long he'd been modelling and his answer, 20 odd years, gave me some hope because I have only been doing this alone for around 12 months so I can't expext to be good.

the thing about jay's work is I see no image plan and if he didn't use one he's a ****ing genius because that model has come to life. well nearly, it's almost ready to walk out of the screen.

the bouncing balll, yea, tick has done a tut, a free tut no less about animating a bouncing ball. It is incredibly basic but he goes through it with incredible generosity and sensativity toward the viewer. He has a kind voice and that is a helpful when learning.

anyway cheers to maya and all who love her/him (depending on how you see it)

happymat27 08-04-2006 08:37 AM

Jay's work is excellent, I'd hope mine would be to that standard too after 20 years!!

I once knew a flautist who had the same attitide to their music as you have towards your sketches, they found it too clinical. They had reached a level of competance/expertese where they felt as though they could'nt break the rules of music, if they were to pick up their flute they were totally unable to play random notes, it had to be a tune, They packed it in as they didn't enjoy it any more. I imagine that you got to the stage with drawing where you were unable to pick up a pencil and scribble like a child does.

In my rambling I've forgotten my point, it was something along the lines of not putting to much pressure on yourself to produce masterworks, show off your progress and be proud of it. Also make it up as you go along, I do all the time, perhaps it shows in my work, but I enjoy myself and discover new stuff each time I make a model.

I think that's enough for now, the rain has stopped and the kids want to go out!

Cheers,

Mat.

mirek03 08-04-2006 10:31 AM

yes, that is exactly what happened and even now I can't pick up a pencil without getting really serious, and I don't like that, it is strange. If I practise constantly for about a month I can get nearly back to that standard, a year would do it at say, 8 hours a day. My music, also, it is much better than my drawing, I had to spend a lot of time alone when I was young so I didn't waste the time or roam the streets, I learnt by watching other's mistakes. I wanted to be a rock star. Now I make my own mistakes??:eek:

Anyway, music, now it's happening to that'; I started when I was 7 but only seriously at 10, I'm 49 now. I have been studying Be-Bop for a few years and that is very theory heavy and now i am not having fun with the guitar and other stuff, MIDI, Keyboard, all the usual 21st century schizoid man stuff. Technology has changed a lot (understatement).

I really appreciate your thoughts, things are a bit rough at the moment, but we could all say that, eh?!

I am going to do that course for Maya; 6 months and A$250, I am so broke but I'll do it. Then i'll be able to show you all up LOL;) no, I know it's not a race, just fun as you say.

see you :beer:

Jay 08-04-2006 03:27 PM

20 years!! My arse!! Im only 36 for christs sake!! LOL, there was no such thing as Maya when I was still at school, I had to make do with a pencil, paper and some plasticine and an 8mm cine cam for animation back then.

Just for the record, Ive been doing PS since '94 and have been doing 3d since late '97, and in that time used Max, Lightwave and since the summer of '99 have been using Maya, so thats only 7 years of Maya and 9 total in 3d and 14 for PS
Nuff said carry on...

On the model front, I always have reference and a lots of sketches around me to carry me thru

Thanks for the kind words too.
Jay

mmoore5553 08-04-2006 07:40 PM

hhahah on the age part ...cheers to jay