Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Scaling in side view... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26601)

Altadena 15-06-2007 06:55 AM

Scaling in side view...

when i try to scale in side or top view, it shows the little lines to scale but wont let me scale anything.. anyone know why

mirek03 15-06-2007 09:01 AM

need more info..,

Altadena 15-06-2007 10:41 PM

well it doesnt let me scale in side or top view... dont know hoe much more i can describe it, like it doesnt show the scale tool when i push it, and i tried both "R" and the button on the left of the screen and no luck

mirek03 16-06-2007 10:27 AM

sounds like a graphics card problem?? where's the big guns.., Gster, some guy, and a few of the others know much more about this stuff than me.

sounds no good to me. Id first dump the preferences (just rename your documents/maya/preferences to 'old preferences' and a new set of preferences will be made next time you load the app.

id try a repair.., reinstall the app!

if you are using maya 8.5 I wouldn't be surprised if its a bug in the app. seems full of them.., have you checked the service pack thats available for 8.5. (personally I think 7.1 was the maya pinnacle but Im no maya expert, just a hobbiest so all the subtler tools are lost on me.)

hope someone can help you with this.., I have had this problem too but usually I just reboot and all is fine.

try dumping the preferences, that will reset EVERYTHING (well, most things).

gster123 16-06-2007 11:14 AM

I think that its like whatMirek said the graphics card, what have you got as Maya can be a bit pickey when it comes to graphics cards, I woild try to download the latest drivers for it and give that a go.

I'd be surprised if its a bug with 8.5, as this would have come up a lot in othe forums, ive got to ask what were the bugs in 8.5? I've never had a problem with it! Must be me and the lack of tools that I use!

Can you scale in the persp view but not some of the orthographic ones? If thats the case then I woukld go with the graphics card

mirek03 17-06-2007 06:27 AM

had some extrude problems problems and when I went though undos I would get some BIZZARE results in polygon/sub-D mode. Objects I had never even imagined much less made.., so the bugs i have encountered are, one for which auto desk have a fix for is, the extrude (I forget if its edges or faces or what ever) and another is a problem with history related to polygon mode and sub Ds.

not a lot Gster, but more than encountered with other versions. Im not a big fan of 8.5 and still staring t 8.5 sp1a and wondering if I should apply it and what will it do to moujou, and blast code amongst other things.., any ideas there?.., but then again I haven't used it a lot (I recently noticed the edge loop and bridge tools.., very cool) and others such as HPY Matt praise some of its features.

cheers dude

gster123 17-06-2007 10:30 AM

A lot of plug ins/scripts generally work, unless its something that goes into then out of maya (kind of like realflow) then it might have a problem, but I would think that s long as youve got the plug in for 8.5 it will be fine.

I've never had a problem with 8.5, might be the OS that its running on or something, or If i've had it I might have worked round it?

One of the worst bugs that I thought (in my history of maya) was when it was when they had the screwey image planes, that you had to mod the env file for in V7 (i think)

mirek03 18-06-2007 02:02 AM

yes, image plans are much more manageable now.., but maybe for me it was not finding the translation controls in the AE 6.5 for at least after 12 months of using Maya. I'm not sure what you mean envelope file.

mirek03 18-06-2007 05:36 AM

no problems, no reinstall anything.., help files.., no problem.., dont know what the fix is but iut must be important..??