Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Problem With Particles and Rigid Bodys (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18602)

gster123 09-10-2005 05:04 PM

Problem With Particles and Rigid Bodys

Hi Guys

Hope you can help me out, I'm trying to put an expolsion in a cube so that the particles "Blow up" the cube by interaction.

So far I've created the basic explosion and shattered a cube using the shatter tool, i've set all the shards up as rigid bodies that allow particle collisions and created particle collisions with the objects (this works fine If I want the particles to colide with a primitive shapes rarther than the shards as the particles make the object move) but when I run the simulation the particles just bounce off the shards.

I'm sure this is gouing to be something simple that i've over looked but I'm stuck at the moment so any help would be great.

cheers

Xander-0 10-10-2005 05:22 PM

Two things I can think of without experimenting or seeing your file;

Make sure the cube is 'active'. If you've figured out how to get particles to bounce off an object, then you probably remembered.

Second, check the mass of your shards. The momentum of the objects will change how particles affect the larger objects. Default weight is 1. What do particles weigh (do they even have weight?)? Try setting the weight of the shards as close to 0 as possible, and if they have it, weight of the particle up.

If that still doesn't work, try something like this; set it up so that each particle is surrounded by a tiny, invisible box (I don't know exactly how, but this should be a fairly simple expression job). With the invisible cubes set to passive, and their posistions determined by the particles, you should get nearly the same results (..... I think. I really ought to try this. I just have too many working theories).

So, umm, see if any of that works. I'd like to know if it does. Or if it doesn't, too. Anyone see holes in this?

gster123 10-10-2005 05:26 PM

Got it going now, cheers for the info it wasn't anything to do with the set up of the shards.

What I had to do in the end was to create the shards first before the particles. Dont know why but it worked and has been working with other scenes that i've tried it out with.

Might be a glitch with my system as I cant see whats the difference!! LOL

Xander-0 10-10-2005 06:01 PM

ummm....

Glad to hear it's working.

Just one thing.... you did say the particles were bouncing off the shards, right? Not possibly penetrating them?
Not extremly important, just curious.

Razor Blade 11-10-2005 01:13 AM

or....

put a field on the particles that cause the shards to move....such as a radius field..... maybe a per particle basis but may be too much...

gster123 11-10-2005 01:24 PM

Yeah the particles were colliding with the shards but not causing them to move which I wanted so therefore they were bouncing off them!

When I started a new scene, created the shards then created the particles it worked fine, when I do it the other way round the particles jsut bounce off the shards.

seems a bit strange but hey its going now and looking good to boot!!

Cheers for the advice Razer blade, but I dont want to add too many fields where possible so I was just goig for the particle to rigid body collision route