Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   September/October Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27338)

mtmckinley 31-08-2007 07:02 AM

September/October Challenge

Ruins!

Yeah let's give some kind of environment challenge a try. The object of this challenge is to create some sort of ruin. Whether it be ancient roman, realistic, cartoony, futuristic, medieval, stone age, under water, anything goes!

I'd recommend trying to do some sort of diorama and not an *entire* scene. Here's an example of what I mean:

http://mtmckinley.net/ruin3.jpg

The guidelines:

1) This is a modeling and texturing challenge, but presentation is important. Anything extra you can do for the final presentation will definitely result in a much more appealing final entry!

2) The deadline is November 1st!

3) All work must be done by the artist submitting. You may submit one entry.

4) There's no limit as to what software you can use to create your models and textures.

5) A finals thread will be created toward the end of the challenge. Finals should be posted there, with screens/renders of the final result.

If you have any questions, ask them here. Keep a look out for any addendums or additions to the guidelines as issues are brought up and answered.

For now, signed copies of my books are what I've got for prizes, but if I can think of something cool, I'll definitely offer it up before the end!

happymat27 31-08-2007 07:28 AM

Sounds great Mike,

something like this may well be the diversion from my project that I need!

I think that I'll be joining in with this one.

Cheers,

Mat.

gster123 31-08-2007 08:06 AM

Hey Mike

Great Idea!

One thing I think is that I would limit the software, if someones gonna use Vue, Bryce, i.e landscape gens than thats going to give a massive advantage.

End of the day its up to you man.

Joopson 31-08-2007 08:19 AM

i agree with Gster, vue and bryce shouldnt be allowed, but any software in which you actually model it should be allowed.

anyway, Mike, i dont see why you think the signed books are bad prizes, i think they are great! i would love to win one

mtmckinley 31-08-2007 09:44 AM

well, in my opinion, landscapes generated in bryce or whatever are fairly obvious, and thus, recognizable. And also, if someone posts a fully realized environment within the first day (or even week) of the challenge, yeah... that's kind of a red flag.

So no worries, I won't be blinded by bryce-level graphics. :)

fawkesr 31-08-2007 12:42 PM

jejeje i would be participating in your chalenge for shure!!!:beer:

Some Guy 31-08-2007 03:11 PM

When you say ruins, is it medieval castles and stuff? Cause i was thinking of a Power Plant, Chernobyl type thing.

EDIT:: Never mind.. i just re read the first post...

Therverian 31-08-2007 08:09 PM

Well I think I'll try to squeeze into this one, time constraints with school/work/business and all I think I might be able to pull something off. Hopefully I can compete with the rest of you (seems I will be going against some serious pros :p)

As to your question Some Guy

"Yeah let's give some kind of environment challenge a try. The object of this challenge is to create some sort of ruin. Whether it be ancient roman, realistic, cartoony, futuristic, medieval, stone age, under water, anything goes!"

I think your Chernobyl/Powerplant idea will fit into this broad spectrum :D

THX1138 01-09-2007 05:02 AM

This looks like a fun and easy challenge. I think I will spend a few days thinking about what I want to do. BTW, Mike could you create a seperate page for this new challenge?

Jay 01-09-2007 09:54 PM

Mike:

Is a matte painting allowed?

Just a bit off Topic... On the link you have provided with the image, how did you get the 'little Mike Icon' to appear in the browser? And what size? I've been trying to do this for my site and its stumped me for ages...

Cheers
Jay

jsprogg 02-09-2007 10:48 AM

I am going on holiday for a couple of weeks but if I get time when I return I will give this a crack, I have an idea for a scene from the Blitz .... quite fancy a WWII theme.

t1ck135 02-09-2007 10:45 PM

Jay: Do a search in google for 'favicon' and you'll find exactly what you need :)

Just found this which will do a quick dirty favicon generation for you:
http://www.htmlkit.com/services/favicon/
Just upload your image (square for best results) and click generate and then on the next page just use the download link for a zip with the new icon

Si

Jay 03-09-2007 02:31 AM

Si

As always, saving me with my web hassles, thanks - yet again

Best
Jay

t1ck135 03-09-2007 04:28 AM

no probs ;)

Si

03-09-2007 09:51 AM

Well, I still got a lot of training to do before I’m going to enter one of these (and I’m going to be busy for the next 2 months), but I hope everyone else does well!
:beer:

BTW, who won the summer challenge?