Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Need a little guidance on my female character (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5192)

NitroLiq 15-04-2003 03:35 AM

Need a little guidance on my female character

1 Attachment(s)
Just doing some mirror and smooth tests to see how things are lining up on my model as this is my first attempt at character modeling. I'm worried about the mesh around the arm (see attached pic) and the way it's bunching up. Also concerned with the best way to model breasts. If someone can shoot some tips my way, that'd be great. I've attached a few screens for ya to see.

NitroLiq 15-04-2003 03:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another shot...smoothed figure (seam in the center).

NitroLiq 15-04-2003 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Current working version (no smooth, no mirror, no breasts or definition)....i need to fix the arm area seen in the first screen as well as define the muscles of one side.

kbrown 15-04-2003 08:00 AM

Can you take a close-up of the arm area from the low-poly version? Can't see it properly from this angle but it seems that you need to do some more poly splitting...

Great start btw!

NitroLiq 15-04-2003 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
KB,

Here are shots of two sides of the arm area. If you're still having trouble checking it out, let me know and I'll email the scene file to you. There are gaps I still have to take care of between vertices when the arm is attached.

Also, with regards to the breasts, would I just split polys into a circular shape and extrude?

Pete

kbrown 15-04-2003 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'm in a hurry so I don't have time to check this properly but anyway here are some tips.

Combine the arms with the torso if they aren't already. Split along the red lines like in the pic below. Snap-move and merge the vertices circled with yellow...

Bottom line: You should try to maintain quads. It helps a lot in the long run...

Lemme know if you still have problems and I'll check back later when I have more time...

otaku 06-09-2003 09:50 PM

oh yeah same problem i had.. this is exactly what i didn t know

1 Attachment(s)
oh yeah same problem i had.. this is exactly what i didn t know

cool thx! :)

but... it want not let connect?

i put exactly with snap point the vertexes togeter arms was one shape and body was.

i was combine body with arms...
and i tried also without combine both...

its doing something but afther vertexes of body and arms still are not merge into one....

i have picture with market vertexes of both shades and thes are selected,,,

what the heck im doing wrong...?

do you did it well
NitroLiq? how you did it finally?

thx for helping :)

NitroLiq 07-09-2003 12:58 AM

Did you merge the vertices (Edit Polygons --> Merge Vertices) after combining and snapping? It's been awhile but I think what I did was a combine to make the body and arm one object. Next, I used the split poly tool on the body to match where I wanted to attach the arm and deleted to make a hole. Then, I snapped verts on the arm and snapped them to the matched verts on the body. Finally, I just drag selected over each pair of verts and merged vertices.

Hope this helps.

adldesigner 07-09-2003 02:14 AM

Might want to be carefull about the placement of the vertices buddy.

Right now it feels (In the legs for example) very tube like*. As if you only scaled the verts down a bit. Try to place them to match anatomical features (Such as the muscles and the knees). That should liven up a lot the model.

*As if it´s just a cilinder .. with varying thickness.

NitroLiq 07-09-2003 04:07 AM

Which model are you talking about, Al? Mine or Otaku's?

adldesigner 07-09-2003 09:18 AM

Yours buddy. :)

NitroLiq 07-09-2003 12:31 PM

Ah, no worries, then. I originally posted my question a long time ago and otaku must've come across it recently browsing/searching the forum. I hadn't really started defining musculature other than basic shapes, yet. Was just roughing out one side of the model. Poor girl...she's been lying dormant in a folder for months and months now waiting for me to get back to work on her. :)

3dgurl 12-09-2003 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
jebus everyone uses that pic LOL i used it as the base for one of my chars lol