Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   DOOM3 texture maps? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10681)

killbot 28-02-2004 09:57 PM

DOOM3 texture maps?

I'm looking at the textures for the shotgun and it has 4 targa's.

don't think i'm allowed to post them but i'll try and describe them.

i just want to know what each of them are used for.

1:one of the texturemaps is all grey with the details of the gun.
look just like if you where to take the actuall model with the deufault grey shader and lay it out.

2:there is a metalic rough one, this looks like the actually texture but it might be used for bumpmap.

3: then there is another grey map. but it's has a about 4 shades of grey and the edges are are highlighted detailing the parts that stick out. it also looks like there are streaks going arcound the whole thing.

4:the last one is looks embossed but it is like a purpleish rainbow colour. i'm assuming this is the reflection map?

this game is crazy. I'm just tring to learn from the pros.

CHeers!

mtmckinley 28-02-2004 10:46 PM

I'm not sure which of the first 3 may correspond to what, but this is what they're using, as it's the same kind of thing we use at my job:

1) Color map - The visible texture of what something looks like.
2) Specular map - Greyscale image. The whiter, the more specular. The darker, the less.
3) Bump map or Hieght map - Greyscale image. The whiter, the higher.
4) Normal map - The purple hued image. This is a light information map and tells each pixel how to react to light sources, so you can essentially have shadows from a detail that isn't actually there.... just an image.

Other maps that are also used:

- Opacity map aka Transparancy map - Greyscale image. White areas are opaque, black transparant.
- Incandescense(sp) map - Greyscale image. White areas are self-illuminated and will "glow" in the dark.
- Reflectivity map - Greyscale image. White areas are reflective.
- Offset map - Greyscale image. Similar to hieght map.

mtmckinley 28-02-2004 11:38 PM

FYI - Normal maps can be generated using 2 main methods.

1) Creating a high res version of the mesh and using a plugin or seperate app to generate a normal map from it to be applied to a lower res mesh of the same object/character.

2) Use a photoshop plug in that will generate one from a texture.

killbot 29-02-2004 01:05 AM

Cool Thanks MIKE!

I'll make a copy of this thread for future reference.

mtmckinley 29-02-2004 01:24 AM

Sure thing. Feel free to ask any other game related questions. :) That's my forte. :D

twisteddragon33 02-03-2004 01:25 AM

Mike. Out of curiousity(man i need to work on my spelling), what type of games does warthogtx make? Fighting games, strategy?

mtmckinley 02-03-2004 01:32 AM

well, it's a young company. Prior to being called Warthog Texas, it was Fever Pitch Studios and they made 1 game, an RTS called Conquest: Frontier Wars. Our current project would be classified as an action RPG.

twisteddragon33 02-03-2004 01:42 AM

Action RPG sounds interesting. Ive never heard of conquest but i might check it out. Do you recoment it or does it have obvious flaws? From what ive seen most companies first games are great, after that it usually goes down hill untill they get another breakthrough.

Well.. semi game related do you have any familiarity for the UT2k3 engine?

mtmckinley 02-03-2004 02:28 AM

I've not played it myself, but Conquest was critically acclaimed and still has a dedicated fanbase years after its release. The graphics are dated, but the game is great.

I do not have any familiarity with the UT engine.

twisteddragon33 02-03-2004 02:33 AM

Whens the game warthogs working on now projected to be released? And for the pc?

mtmckinley 02-03-2004 02:43 AM

'fraid I'd rather not get into that on the forum. Feel free to PM or something if still curious.

Sil-Valeor 02-03-2004 10:59 AM

Hey mtmckinley, is ther any sequal planed for conquest (officaly)?

ragecgi 02-03-2004 06:18 PM

I thought DOOM 3 was NOT released at all yet????

Not even a beta.

How did you get hold of a copy?

mtmckinley 02-03-2004 06:33 PM

there are videos and textures and such around to look at.

ragecgi 03-03-2004 06:47 AM

ohhhhhh.....

nvrmnd:)

my bad:)