Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Problems offseting and filleting curves (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14813)

Idiot 23-12-2004 11:39 PM

Problems offseting and filleting curves

Let me preface this by saying 1) I'm new to 3d modeling, 2) I'm using Maya PLE 6.0 and 3) the book I will be henceforth referencing is Maya 6: the Complete Reference

I am currently learning basic NURBS modeling and the tutorial I'm on (cutting and filleting curves) calls for me to make a curve, which I've done, and then use "Offset Curve on Surface". Nothing happens when I try, and that's my first problem.

I circumvent this roadblock by simply using "Offset Curve" instead, which seems to yeild the desired effect. I get a curve parallel to the first. Next, I add a strait line on top intersecting both and snip the ends off, making all of the edges flush. Now I'm supposed to fillet the top left corner, but nothing happens. This is the biggest problem.

FAQ's, Maya's built in help system and the book are no help, and this looks to be the best forum I've yet seen, but a search gave me no useful information. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what Maya, the book or myself is doing wrong.

I made sure that all of the curves were going the right direction and followed the book's directions to a T, but it still does nothing. If I can clarify anything further, or you'd like pictures, I can do that.

Your experience, help and time are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NextDesign 23-12-2004 11:55 PM

Maybe go to the option box, and then select edit>reset settings. then click on offset curve on surface in that window.

Idiot 24-12-2004 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peltra
Maybe go to the option box, and then select edit>reset settings. then click on offset curve on surface in that window.
That didn't work either, and I even tried reinstalling Maya. Thanks for the quick reply, though.

I thought I should also mention I've already tried changing the radius settings in the Filllet's options.

NextDesign 24-12-2004 01:49 AM

Did you go to edit>delete by type>history?

Idiot 24-12-2004 02:14 AM

Ok, I'll try that.

No luck. I started the project from scratch and deleted history once before offsetting and once before filleting.

Is it possible the Maya 6.0 PLE is buggy? Has anyone else had this problem?

NextDesign 24-12-2004 02:25 AM

hmm... tell me step by step what to do, and Ill try.

Idiot 24-12-2004 02:53 AM

Well that's very kind of you, I appreciate it.

This will be word for word out of the book. The object is going to end up as a teapot.

Quote:

1) Use the CV Curve tool or EP Curve tool to create a curve that resembles the profile of a teacup. Start at the origin and move up. See the illustration shown here for help.

[Since it'd be too hard to give you the illustration, here's the coordinates it gives, if you want them: (0,0) (-2,0) (-3,1) (-4,3) (-4,6) ]

2) Choose Edit Curve | Offset | Offset Curve On Surface. This will create a parallel curve.

3) At the top end of the curves, use the EP Curve tool to create another curve that intersects both of the profile curves, as shown in the following illustration.

4) WIth both curves selected, choose Edit Curves | Cut Curves. The intersecting curves will be cut into multiple peices. At this point, you could select any two of these curves and use the Attach Curves tool to connect or blend them.

[Here there is a paragraph which is saying why we're using the Fillet command instead of the Blend Attatchment Method. ]

1) Choose two of the resulting curve segments and delete the pieces of the new curve that extend beyond the intersections of the existing two curves, so that you hvae something that resembles this example: (illustration )

2) Before using the Fillet tool to create a round corner where these curves meet, it is important that you check the direction of the curves.* Maya will attempt to create the new curve in the angle of the U direction. For this reason, you may need to select one or both curves and choose Edit Curves | Reverse Curve Direction. Firgure 3-23 shows the curves before and after the fillet has been created. Notice the direction of the curves in the image on the right.

3) Now select both curves, and choose Edit Curves | Curve Fillet (options)

4) In the Curve Fillet Options window, reset the tool's settings to use the defaults and click Apply. You should see a new circular curve that transitions between the two existing curves.

5) If the operation failed, it is either because the curves were going in the wrong direction or the radius attribute in the Fillet tool options was set too large. Undo the fillet operation and try decreasing the size of the radius.*
* denotes possible solutions I've already tried. I may have done them wrong though, but I don't see how I could.

NextDesign 24-12-2004 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hmmm not sure dude. But I did make one for you (using my own way :P) see attached for file:

I have a strange feeling this is not the softwares fault.

Idiot 24-12-2004 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peltra
hmmm not sure dude. But I did make one for you (using my own way :P) see attached for file:

I have a strange feeling this is not the softwares fault.

Ha, yeah. I'm sure it is my fault, I just don't know where I'm going wrong. Thanks allot for your help, I'll try to work with your cup and see what I can figure out.

Idiot 24-12-2004 06:43 AM

Which curves did you select when you filleted, Peltra?

NextDesign 24-12-2004 04:11 PM

hehe. I didn't. All I did was make those curves, then I attached them, and then all I did was surfaces>resolve.

danilo20 24-12-2004 04:36 PM

Its ok, I have the same problem

Im not sure what it is either, but i am a noob using the same book, and i have the same problem. Maybe its a mistake. Here is some good advice, skip the tutorial and move on to the next

Idiot 24-12-2004 05:54 PM

Success! I've solved the problem. First, I just got fed up after Maya wouldn't let me put down more than 2 CV points, so I reinstalled again . Once I did that, it worked fine after I reversed the original curve, and none of the others (odd since that orients it in the wrong direction.) That might work for you danilo20, though it may just be my cooky system that despretly needs defraged.

Thanks again Peltra. I'm going to try out that other technique you described as well.

NextDesign 24-12-2004 06:32 PM

No prob mate.

If you have anymore questions just email me.

danilo20 24-12-2004 09:25 PM

Peltra, for you

Hey Peltra, i read your tutorial and printed it out to try it. If you looking on a website, i am a webdesigner, i can make you something nice for some lessons.