Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Speed it up (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1763)

Rodi 24-10-2002 08:21 PM

Speed it up

Hi guys,

I was thinking about my computer and maya in terms of speed.

I have a p4 1.8ghz with 512 mb. It is not the best but works for now. So here is my question.

How can I speed the maya up without spending money with hardware? Is there any configuration in my OS that can helps? Does the Antivirus slow it down? :banghead:

I use Xp Pro.

Sorry for this kind of question.

:beer: :argue:

Kevin 24-10-2002 08:24 PM

never use an anti virus! they screw your pc up, I have never used one....i would rather catch the virus and re-format!

so much quicker it runs without it... just be carefull what you open! but scrap the antivirus

Rodi 24-10-2002 08:35 PM

tknx kevin,

is there any other thing that I can do to speed it up, like virtual memory and so on?

mrmacca 24-10-2002 09:14 PM

That's not the best advice Kevin :) I have no problems with my anti virus, Nortons. It's your right not to use it but the problem comes if you have a virus and you're not aware of it and pass it on to others.

Anyhow, the question, i doubt there's very much you can do with XP to make Maya run any quicker. It's really mostly hardware related. You can make XP a little quicker, more responsive but the improvement in Maya would be minimal. You can have your swap file on it's own dedicated hard drive, it may help a little. It does with photoshop and is actually recommended i think by Adobe. In XP i use the classic interface as well as opposed to XP's overloaded one.

smood 31-10-2002 06:03 PM

1) change your system to 2000 pro its the starngest and the best from microsoft.
2) the anti viros isnt slowes nothing but in XP its alwes more slow then 2000-pro, me. 98 . 95 and so on beckos she using your grafic card more then thos so beckos that XP is socks.
3) yes its alwes good to set up an virtrol membory but not to mach beg beckos then the program isn't use the membory in the best why.
4) in 100$ you can upgrate your computer in alout over-clocking thats thae word you buy an colt seysitem put her on your pc/ atalon (i dont now this is with mac) and on your garfic card and then do over-cloking you can found how to do it over the net but if you are afriad then call to an pro-man that well do it for you (i on my own macke my pc from 1.6MG to 2.8MG and speed up my grafic card in abut 300% from his start) but its also stop your nasorsty at inter or what ever is your compny

Kevin 31-10-2002 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mrmacca
That's not the best advice Kevin :) I have no problems with my anti virus, Nortons. It's your right not to use it but the problem comes if you have a virus and you're not aware of it and pass it on to others.

Anyhow, the question, i doubt there's very much you can do with XP to make Maya run any quicker. It's really mostly hardware related. You can make XP a little quicker, more responsive but the improvement in Maya would be minimal. You can have your swap file on it's own dedicated hard drive, it may help a little. It does with photoshop and is actually recommended i think by Adobe. In XP i use the classic interface as well as opposed to XP's overloaded one.

its a fact... anti virus software slows down your pc. It makes it run like a heap of junk, Just be-carefull what you execute in your mail and you will be fine.

Just back your pc up reguarly.... if you get one (which you probably wont) just reinstall...takes 1 hr for a reinstall! rather then go through everyday with an antivirus churning away.. and anyway the viruses that are out now norton wont see anyway as they are 3 months behind everything!

Just ask dave...he has beed dealing with this sort of thing for years...

honestly mate..get yourself an antivirus kit on your sytem and watch it run like crap

keops 31-10-2002 07:49 PM

I'm agree with kevin..
but without any hardware improvement, keyword in improving speed is defrag!

mrmacca 31-10-2002 10:07 PM

I've been running antivirus forever now and i just don't see any slow down but Nortons has stopped viruses for me a couple of times. Maybe if i was running an older machine, pentium 3 500 mhz or something it might be an issue. Running a dual machine, as you know yourself, i've never experienced any slow downs. I just like having the protection. Nortons aslo seem to update their definitions pretty quick. Normally when a new virus is released they have a download ready within 24 hours. If it was such a big issue with slowdowns i wouldn't use it. :)

Saiyan 04-11-2002 11:37 PM

I will say this and it's all you ever need......

OVERCLOCK

it's the best to improve speed without spending money......optimizing applications is good to do anyway.....regardless if you need the speed or not:beer:

mtmckinley 05-11-2002 02:17 AM

but keep in mind that it voids your warranty and if you don't know what you're doing, it can be easy to damage your stuff.

tariqrf 06-11-2002 07:09 PM

ya go with 2000 if you have problems with XP... 2000 utilizes the ram more efficiently since you have 512 megs.. this would'nt be a prlblem.. as kevin said DUMP THE ANTIVIRUS.. they are memory hogs and drags the system... they make it so sloooooooooow!!!!

tariqrf 06-11-2002 07:11 PM

and..... which memory do you use... SD,DD,RD???

Rodi 07-11-2002 12:20 AM

SD