Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   My New Cell Phone (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5267)

Emo 18-04-2003 01:39 AM

My New Cell Phone

Do you guys remember that funny commercial with the Cat and the Fan that was posted here a while back?

well today I ordered the Cell Phone that they were advertising :D

Nokia 3650! the whole thing came out to $375 with a plan and activation fee.... from those I get $200 off in rebates so the final price should be $175 :)

I'll let you know how it preforms when I get it!

-Emo

essahc 18-04-2003 08:58 AM

does it come with the cat toy? Man thats gotta hurt!

Kevin 18-04-2003 09:02 AM

mobile phones :mingun:

el-ignoramus 18-04-2003 04:19 PM

Kevin still uses two tin cans and a thread tying them :p :D

Kevin 18-04-2003 06:33 PM

smoke rings :D

tariqrf 19-04-2003 12:04 AM

hehe.. lol.. i have a 6510 and i am lovin it.. simple and cool

dannyngan 19-04-2003 12:07 AM

Bah, phones are for weaklings. Telepathy. :D

tariqrf 19-04-2003 12:16 AM

i found it a lot of use espec when i go out alone... ahh.. i am scared... HEEELP!!!!!!

adldesigner 19-04-2003 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dannyngan
Bah, phones are for weaklings. Telepathy. :D
Lol

dave_baer 19-04-2003 01:17 AM

Whats the deal with rebates? Ya know.. it's like "Buy our product for $X and we'll send you back $X in rebates.

F that.. How about I just pay the cost after the rebate and save you the trouble of having to send me back my money?

:P

M 19-04-2003 07:14 AM

Thats marketing for ya, a company says they will sell their product for 150, and with a 50 dollar mail in rebate, when they would usuallly have the product at 125.. then the sales go up a significant ammount bringing in a noticable ammount of additional income.. then the ammount that get around to sending in the mail in rebate is less than 50% and then they have your extra 25 dollars in their pocket and they have just made some cash ;). I love it.

Kreed_UK 19-04-2003 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin
mobile phones :mingun:
Kev, long time no pint!!

Give me a bell on me moby & we'll have a couple;)

Alan 29-04-2003 02:16 PM

hey emo, how did this phone work out for you? Is it good? T-MObile have offered it to me for £20 so I wanted to know what you think of it. problems, bad software etc etc

Cheers

Alan

Emo 29-04-2003 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
hey emo, how did this phone work out for you? Is it good? T-MObile have offered it to me for £20 so I wanted to know what you think of it. problems, bad software etc etc

Cheers

Alan

sorry for not updating this after I got the phone... ok here it goes:

I absolutly LOVE the phone!! it's amazingly light too. My service is AT&T with mMode...

The camera that is taking pictures takes suprisingly good quality 640x480 res pictures...

The video camera on the other hand has 2 bad things:

1) Quality is pixelized
2) The defult time limit is 11 seconds at a time (can be fixed)

it has a polyphormic ringtones capability and it can play WAV files as ring tones..

it has 3 ways to connect it to your PC:

Bluetooth
Infrared IR port
and a regular cable

behind the battery has a MMC (MultiMedia Card) that can be anywhere from 16MB to 128MB of storage. The Factory one is 16MB but since it takes about 35KB for a picture i can store about 400 Pictures

The videos on the other hand... a 11 sec video takes about 90KB so as you can see... with a 65MB MMC you can last for a LONG time. You can get a 128MB card but the bigger the card, the more it will slow down the performance of the phone

Right now I plan to get a MMC reader/writer that plugs into my PC and that's another way to connect your PC to your phone... a good way to back up your MMC on your PC

it has E-mail and Web browser capabilty witch are very nice but for the web, they charge .03 cents for every 1kb of data transfered :rolleyes:

The thing that bothers me the most is that I can't get the E-mail settings right so for now I can't use my E-mail... if I get it, that'll be another way to send pictures and videos to my PC :D

Apps/Games

You can download games and applications for it. Most of them you have to pay though.

It has REAL Player on it so you can watch videos that are stored in you MMC :D

There is a CD that comes with it and it installs a program that you can easily put stuff on your Cell phone. For example it has a capability that converts MP3 files into it's own version for the phone and then you can use the phone as a MP3 player or just use the song as a ring tone :)

Now apart from all the little gagets it has, the Phone itself is really good, the bettery lasts for a VERY VERY long time considering the very bright screen. It wears off really fast when recording a lot of videos and taking picutres

the reception is really clear, and since the antena is internal that's a big plus :D

so that's about it....

any questions, just ask

-Emo

Alan 29-04-2003 07:55 PM

cool, I was wondering if you have any pics you have taken with it that you could show us? just so that we can see how they look. Is the mp3 software free? cause that's one of the things stopping me getting it right now, cause I have an 8310 at the moment and that's got a built in FM radio which I use quite a bit.

I've been reading reviews and allegedly you can download an entire movie to your phone (with the right codec and at the right compression of course! ;)) and watch movies on the fone. Is that true?

How much did your mmc card cost and how much is the reader for the pc?

Sorry about all the questions

Alan