Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Some Newbie, Some not-so Questions (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13661)

Phopojijo 26-09-2004 09:11 PM

3 Keyframing Questions

1) (Newbie Questions) How would you go abouts turning an emitter (especially fire which appears to have a fixed emitting speed) on or off at various keyframes.

2) (Newbie Question) How would you go about creating and destroying (or showing and hiding) an object in a maya scene throughout various keyframes. (without keyframing the object to appear from behind the camera)

3) (IMO: Not newbie Question) How would you go about keyframing shader-changes in a Maya scene?

Say you have a beaker model in Maya, and you drop an object in it. A particle emitter turns on at that point to create a cloud raising upwards, the object disappears, and the fluid in the beaker changes from a blue to a red color. (Example which covers all 3 questions -- not the animation I'm using it for though :b)

Phopojijo 26-09-2004 10:07 PM

For those who played the game Halo, I'm doing a fan-animation which involves a character turning Active Camoflagued. That requires an average skinned character slowly shifting to a clear refractive (and slightly reflective with a bit of glare) mesh which (when raytraced) will yield an object that kind-of warps the objects behind it. Those of you who have seen Die Another Day, the Aston Marton "Vanish" does the same effect (with Q's foot), only in Halo its a smooth transition, where in the Bond flick it kinda flickers out before becoming visible.

sjlocke 27-09-2004 04:27 PM

Re: 3 Keyframing Questions

Quote:

Originally posted by Phopojijo
1) (Newbie Questions) How would you go abouts turning an emitter (especially fire which appears to have a fixed emitting speed) on or off at various keyframes.

2) (Newbie Question) How would you go about creating and destroying (or showing and hiding) an object in a maya scene throughout various keyframes. (without keyframing the object to appear from behind the camera)

3) (IMO: Not newbie Question) How would you go about keyframing shader-changes in a Maya scene?

Say you have a beaker model in Maya, and you drop an object in it. A particle emitter turns on at that point to create a cloud raising upwards, the object disappears, and the fluid in the beaker changes from a blue to a red color. (Example which covers all 3 questions -- not the animation I'm using it for though :b)

Hi,

1. I would keyframe the emitter rate.
2. I would keyframe the visibility of the object.
3. I would keyframe the shader's values.

Seems like you know what to do, so I'm not sure what you're looking for.

sj

mtmckinley 27-09-2004 06:26 PM

1) Agreed.
2) Yep. Or, keyframe the transparancy of the object's material.
3) Agreed.

Phopojijo 28-09-2004 10:03 PM

How do you keyframe shader values? The "S" key doesn't seem to work :b

Also -- how do you freeze particles in time for X frames... say I want fire to be emitted from an object, and when it reaches one point, I want to do swirl the camera around that point in time without the particles being emitted, moved, or destroyed.

mtmckinley 28-09-2004 10:21 PM

Right click on the attribute and choose "Set Key" from the drop down menu.

Don't know of an easy way to do the freezing thing.