Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Creating Rivers (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33198)

I-Iybrid 19-10-2009 10:21 PM

Creating Rivers

Whats the best way, to make a river run through a field of grass? I have a poly plane Ive sculpted, and made a path for where I want the water to be. Ive tried using the pond feature, but you really cant mold it and make it curve to follow the path on the plane. Any suggestions?

Im using Maya 8, BTW. Dont know if that helps any...

Perfecto 20-10-2009 08:39 AM

depends on whether you want it game quality or movie quality. Game quality would probably be to create the indentation into the ground plane for the depth of the river, then put a plane that represents the top of the river water and is cutting into the ground plane (banks). Then you could make a river texture and animate the texture.

Not sure about movie quality, might have to use another program for the water animation. I've not really messed around with Maya fluid too much so hopefully someone more experienced in this area can help you out. And I'm not sure that an emitter would look right for a river but you could play around with it. As long as your river bed was sloped downward, and you had gravity applied, the emitter should follow the path.

bendingiscool 20-10-2009 12:38 PM

Maya fluids is more for vaporous/gaseous fluid simulations as opposed to liquid simulation.

nParticles can get you on your way though with their various meshing features, give thema peak.

Cheers,
Chris

Chirone 20-10-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bendingiscool
nParticles can get you on your way though with their various meshing features, give thema peak.
he's using 08 though, so no nparticles for him

i think i've seen lava, you could look for a tutorial that makes lava and modify it to look blue/clear like water

not sure how easy/possible that owuld be, but it's an idea

Gen 20-10-2009 09:39 PM

If he's using Maya 8 Unlimited, he could use fluids, I think there is a mesh option in there.

mtnhome3d 20-10-2009 09:45 PM

in the fluid options, there is a section titled surface, and there is a tick box for hard surface rendering. just be sure you have a ton of hdd space lying around as caching the sim will be huge. i never got very far with maya fluids when trying to make a river but i never had a computer that could handle it.

I-Iybrid 21-10-2009 12:56 AM

Wow, didnt expect this many responses. Im using Maya 8 Unlimited, so I have access to the fluids feature. Ive tried it once before, but it didnt turn out oh so well.

Im aiming for a somewhat realistic style. Not so much photorealistic, but not all cartoonish (if that makes sense to anyone.)

I'll try your guys' suggestions, though. Thanks!