Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Elephant Swordsman (W.I.P.) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32115)

WoodsyB 21-03-2009 01:40 PM

Elephant Swordsman (W.I.P.)

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a character I'm working on to add to my portfolio. He's still got a loooong way to go, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I was inspired to make him from a Four Horsemen articulated character concept and I'm getting ready to bring him into ZBrush to start adding the finer details like wrinkle folds and musculature. Let me know what you guys think of him! I appreciate ALL critiques both good and bad!! Thanks for looking!! :alien:

elephantinc 21-03-2009 01:59 PM

Love this project :D
cant wait to see it finished

WoodsyB 21-03-2009 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the front image for the swordsman.

WoodsyB 21-03-2009 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Close-up of the waist wrap.

WoodsyB 21-03-2009 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Close-up of the shoulder plates

elephantinc 21-03-2009 03:13 PM

IMO he needs to be taller

WoodsyB 21-03-2009 03:55 PM

I've been playing around with different size/shape variations for the overall body, in particular the legs. So, I'm still not certain of the final size I'm going to go with though. However, in comparison to the final surrounding scene props, his size will be much larger than the rest. He also has 2 different styles of swords, that he uses, which I haven't modeled yet.

arran 21-03-2009 05:07 PM

great job - i really like this character so far - looking forward to seeing what you do next. :)

Chirone 22-03-2009 01:16 AM

that's impressive :bow:

can we see wires of the close up of the waist strap?

thatsmybrand 22-03-2009 08:47 AM

Wow

I really like this, if you had sometime would be really interested in knowing the techniques you used to do some of the the details on the armour and such.

-Andy

WoodsyB 24-03-2009 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The waist wrap is basically a large group of polys that I shaped out to make up what I needed, then I added some bump maps for the designs I liked. Here's a wire of the basic wrap with an example of one of the maps. Thanks Chirone, keep those comments and questions coming!

WoodsyB 24-03-2009 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Waist Shield Bump Map

WoodsyB 24-03-2009 05:09 AM

Hey Andy,

I shaped the armor out using Sub D's and Polys. Once I got the basic shapes that I wanted for the armor I would use non-linear deformers to adjust the sapes how I needed them. If I needed the armored skewed in some spots and bent in others then I would move the deformers as needed and would bend the shapes to wrap aorund certain areas. That's the basics of it, if there were any parts of the armor in particular you wanted to know about just let me know. Thanks for the questions, keep 'em comin'!! :nod:

Dango77 24-03-2009 05:11 AM

Excellent work! I'm really liking this character, I know it's for your portfolio, but are you going to use him in anything in particular? It would be cool to see him in a battling pose against someone else, also, did you make up the language on his belt?

WoodsyB 24-03-2009 05:16 AM

Buster Battle Sword

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the swordsman's first sword I finished earlier today. It's still a w.i.p. since I'm bringing EVERYTHING into ZBrush to add more detail!