Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Good example of bad animation - By ME (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19243)

BMS 25-11-2005 06:28 AM

Good example of bad animation - By ME

I had a go at my first bit of animation

Here is a great example of bad animation Right Click and Save As. I was only having a play, still I have a lot to learn!!

Looks like it could be time to buy more points.

I've got a pretty good idea about what's bad about it, but would love some feedback :)

Cheers
Paul

magicsy 25-11-2005 07:57 AM

Cool well done Bms. did u make the model too?
my crit would be the leg he kicks fast which is good. but it kinda comes back down too quick, u miss the animation almost ;)

BMS 25-11-2005 11:48 AM

I have a lot to learn don't I :)

I'm going to take a step back and try to get my head around it all. The model is from a competitors Gn___ DVD . It was a gift for my BD a couple of months ago. The DVD is OK, but too slow and boring to watch.

When David announces the Christmas Special offer, I'll buy a few more points and pick up some of the rigging and animation tutorials from here.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

Funky Bunnies 25-11-2005 04:00 PM

Hey, BMS, I think the main thing you have to do is put some extra motion in there - though it is a robot, so i guess it could work...

in my opinion, though, I'd like to see more springiness instead of pure primary movement, there should be gradual transitions of sorts into each movement. I think the initial movements are all good, but there should be more torso twist at the beginning, then more pelvic twist afterwords, a small hint ofa bounceback for the left elbow- overall just a bit more animation occurring in preparation and for the primary animation and also more after the primary animation - just so it's less sharp.

the only other part I have any beef with for the primary animation is the kicking leg. I think the lower leg should bend back to the upper leg before going back down - which is how most martial arts kicks work, I think. Though I'd also like to see some more torso bend - it may be a bit too upright. Which would falloff to neck movement, right now all it does is turn, but there would probably be some bend in this action I think.

anyway, I think it's good so far, keep it up. Spend a bit more time to the subtle movements and I think you'll be all set.

Lt Jim 25-11-2005 06:07 PM

A pretty good first pass. All the above comments are definitely good ones. My $.02 is that the robot needs some 'weight". Right now, it looks like it's made of paper! :-) The "follow through" movement after the kick and other secondary movement will be a good place to do this. Also, maybe the leg lift prior to the kick can be a little slower, or have an "ease in" effect.

Remember that your character would have weight in real life, so anything with significant weight (ie a robot limb) that gravity would affect should be animated. Keep up the good work!

Carry on...

metallicjet66 25-11-2005 06:19 PM

yo BMS, its very good, id like u to put some life into the robot, when he kicks, make if feel like hes using alot of energy to do that kick, have u watched irobot, if u have, try to think about tha movie and try to keep in mind, when they animated the robots, when they went into combat, they were fighting with lost of movements, i think u should just had lost of emotional movements to the mody, and that should do it, dang i type too much :P

BMS 25-11-2005 10:58 PM

Thanks Guys for all the great feedback. I think I need to study the motion in real life first then try to recreate it. Only my first crappy attempt but I will make progress . . . well I hope so :)

I will have another attempt soon.

Cheers
Paul