Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   when to use bevel? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24106)

arran 06-12-2006 10:18 PM

when to use bevel?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello - I am working on this street scene at the moment and I was just wondering how often and where you would use the bevel tool. I understand that bevel takes the edge off of the corners of objects. would I use bevel on the 3d sign at the top? Or on the windows on the far left. Sorry if this question is a bit vague. I am happy to elaborate if I am not making much sense.:beer:

publicFunction 06-12-2006 10:42 PM

Hey Arran,

Using the Bevel Tool is one of those times that is really down to the individual. I would use the Bevel Tool in the corners of a cube to create a dice type shape, for example. In your case I would try to find an alternative way to create the rounded sign shape...

Either by using a cylinder, or moifying a poly cube... Only a suggestion.

arran 06-12-2006 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey R@nSiD,

thanks for the reply mate. The sign i was referring to is shown below. Would I bevel the outlines of the letters? And should I bevel the selected edges of the window that is also shown even though it is pretty much in the background?

I guess my understanding is that bevelling will give the edges of your object a less sharp computerised look and so I am wondering to what extent you use bevel? On everything? On large objects? or do you just test render and then bevel stuff that looks crap?...

gster123 06-12-2006 10:58 PM

For me using the poly bevel all depends on the level of detail that you need, for example if its far from the camera and aint gonna be close in the shot then it wont really matter if the edges are sharp, where as if its going to be under scrutiney by the viewer than it really should be a bevel with say 2 segments (three edges) to get a nice round apperance as nothin in real life has a razor sharp edge (other than a razor LOL).

with your sign i would think is it close to the camera in the shot? if so bevel it with a segment 1 or 2 depending on how close it gets, also if its neon with a glow applied you might not need the bevel as the glow might obscure it.

Looks loke a nice little scene you got there arran, good going mate, post the results if you would sir!

arran 06-12-2006 11:08 PM

hey gster - thanks for the top answer mate. That really explains a lot - cheers.

I tend to try to get everything up to the same level of detail, (see my odd architecture project!) without really focussing on what I need. With this scene I have a set camera angle so hopefully that will force me to be a bit more judicious.

:beer:

keef 07-12-2006 07:17 AM

Arran

Beveling edges will help give you sepc highlights in your achitectural scene and reder out more convincingly. Like beveling all of the sharp edges on outside window surrounds..... It will make a difference no matter how far the camera is from the building (as in fly-bys) - giving reflective glints as they pass (hope that makes sence!!!).

gster123 07-12-2006 08:48 AM

Very true Keef, but again it all depends on the level of detail that your after in the scene.

If it was me I would do some quick test renders of the scene without textures, just to see if looks how you want it too. (maybe with ambient occlusion, jsut to see the shadows etc, and then evaluate it from there??

erictacti 07-12-2006 12:31 PM

I think all of the answers here are right. There really isn't a wrong answer for this question. Like R@nSiD said, it's really up to the individual.

If you're trying to keep your geometry numbers down, then only bevel objects that are the main objects in the scene, and that are easily visible.

If you don't really care about how much geometry you have created, then I'd say bevel everything, within reason, just in case you may want to showcase an object later on in a different render, that wasn't necessarily visible in this shot.

If it were my choice, I think I would go ahead and set that high level of detail on everything, if it didn't take too long. I realize that this scene has a set camera, but who knows. Maybe you'll use it for something else, and want that nice detail later on.

Just a thought.

arran 08-12-2006 10:59 AM

thanks a lot guys for all of the responses - they have all been a big help.

gster - i'll take a look at ambient occlusion - I haven't used that yet - it sounds interesting.

I'll post some updates in WIP when I have something half way decent to show. thanks again guys.

erictacti 10-12-2006 03:55 AM

No Problem.

:beer: