Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   mirror problem (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33183)

daverave 15-10-2009 12:21 PM

mirror problem

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
when mirroring I get a offset, any idears what has caused this? dave

honestdom 15-10-2009 12:30 PM

maybe try reseting your tool... you could just put 0 in the channel for now.

Perfecto 15-10-2009 01:15 PM

The reason you have pivot values for x, y, and z is because your mesh has transform values of x, y, and z (values other than 0). The only reason I can think of for your mesh having a gap like that is that you have at least 1 vert out of line.

Check the vertices along the center edge to see if one of them is not lined up with the rest.

edit: The pivot values are most likely not the reason for the gap. It's normal to have pivot values if the geomety that you are mirroring has transform values other than zero. You probably just have a stray vert or face or something. somewhere. Go to a front view and look at your geometry in wireframe mode to see if you can see anything like that before you mirror.

Mayaniac 15-10-2009 01:43 PM

You will probably find your meshes pivot point is out of line. Hit 'insert' on your keyboard. Then 'v' snap it to the a vertex running along the edge of your mesh. Then try the mirror operation again.

EDIT*

Looks like you have smooth mesh preview turned on. I would try switching it off and then performing the mirror operation.

Also, make sure all the verts are aligned and snapped to the x axis.

daverave 15-10-2009 04:15 PM

Thanks for your help, it was two vertices out of place, im going to put this in work in progress let me know what you think as this is the first head ive done without tutorial.........thanks dave

Perfecto 15-10-2009 04:34 PM

Mayaniac: That's a good suggestion but with the mirror geometry tool, the pivot point usually doesn't matter. I think the way it works is that if you mirror something in the X direction, then the mirror is based on the vertices farthest in the +x direction.

If you mirror in the -x direction, then the mirror is based on the vertices farthest in the -x direction rather than being based on the objects pivot. That also means the geometry doesn't have to be centered on the origin.

But that was really good thinking though

Mayaniac 15-10-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Perfecto
Mayaniac: That's a good suggestion but with the mirror geometry tool, the pivot point usually doesn't matter. I think the way it works is that if you mirror something in the X direction, then the mirror is based on the vertices farthest in the +x direction.

If you mirror in the -x direction, then the mirror is based on the vertices farthest in the -x direction rather than being based on the objects pivot. That also means the geometry doesn't have to be centered on the origin.

But that was really good thinking though

Ah, right. I thought he had done a duplicate special. Oh well.