Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Stop ya wine-ing (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24624)

tiddles 14-01-2007 01:33 AM

Stop ya wine-ing

Here is my 2nd attempt at fluid simulation. I was pretty happy with how it all turned out. But after all the simulations and then rendering I noticed a bit of a funky meniscus thing going on in the wine glass. I had remembered to set the emitters surface tension and viscosity to low but forgot to turn off the sticky setting on the wine glass itself.

Oh well, this is why we make tests I guess ;)

http://www.savefile.com/files/413383 (click the download button at bottom right - about 2.5Mb)

Enjoy!

happymat27 14-01-2007 03:58 PM

Looking very nice Dave,

as you said, it's not without it's faults but for a second attempt you should be proud. The humour is great though and outweighs any error in the simulation!!

Later,

Mat.

gster123 14-01-2007 05:49 PM

Hey man, I can only seem to play half of the animation??

Do you have another link?

Cheers

tiddles 14-01-2007 07:36 PM

Mat - glad you liked it m8. The main reason for this test was to see what would happen if the fluid was transfered from 1 object to another without using an emitter & I did learn a lot about what to look out for next time. Of course the whole thing was inspired by your wine glass render :beer:

gster - yeah, I hate savefile.com, only used it because my site was down over weekend. But it's back up & running now :attn:

http://www.kickarz.com/AA.wmv (right click - save target as 2.3 Mb)

gster123 14-01-2007 09:28 PM

haha! Nice going mate, like the humor in it!

The simulation looks good, one thing that I found with wine is that its quite dark, a lot darker than you would think, its also slightly purple as oppose to being dark red.

When the wine's pouring it appears not to fill the glass as fast as I would have thought??? Could be me....

Good work, see your having fun with realflow!

Cheers

Steve

tiddles 14-01-2007 09:51 PM

hehe - thanks gster. I'll take your word on the color m8 (I'm a beer drinker myself :beer: )

I did infact slow the fluid down a bit as I thought it fitted a little better with the tempo & music of the vid - well spotted!!

Dave.

99GsTurbo 15-01-2007 01:28 AM

Hey man I love it. Only thing i can think of is modeling a arm & hand. This way, it gives more to the pouring but looks awesome. I really need to try the simulator

20-01-2007 06:00 PM

lol ive already signed up for that and ive still got some major screws loose

thats a good animation this computer im on sucks so i cant say much about the quality of the render but the simulation is great i havent tried it but after seeing that i might give it a shot;) [ i'll show you ]hehehe

good work:beer:

tiddles 29-01-2007 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replys guys, RealFlow can be a lot of fun ;)

Anyway, I now have a new toy - MaxwellRender. Here is my 1st effort.

Incase anyone interested - this scene was lit with a single emitter plane to the right of cam. The render took 8.5 hrs and got up to 17 sample layers on a 3.2 gig P4 with 1.5 gig ram. All the materials are from the Maxwell material gallery.

As you can see there is still a bit of noise in the render - maybe another 8.5 hrs and would have been nice and clean...

Enjoy!

gster123 29-01-2007 08:17 AM

Great image.

Theres no doubt that maxwell gives superb renders with great ease of set up, but it takes far too long, especially if doing stuff like you do Dave (Movies), For stills I can see why it would be an option.

I think that some good tutorials using mental ray and a bit of a play about to get it set in your head you will get a similar result with a great time saving.

I've just got the free trial of Realflow 4, the only problem is that there isnt a plug in for maya 8.5 yet!

tiddles 29-01-2007 09:07 AM

Your not wrong Steve, 8.5hrs per frame and my wine bottle animation was somethnig close to 500 frames - that's ummm. . . errr. . . about. . . hmmmm. . . well, it's a bloody long time! :eek:

I think i'll invest some time into gettin the basics of Maxwell under my belt as it may come in handy for making a photorealistic element that can be composited into video. But I doubt very much I'd use it soley to produce animation.

Bad news about the RealFlow plugin for Maya 8.5 :shakehead I certainly hope it's not too long in coming...

Take care M8
Dave.

gster123 29-01-2007 09:12 AM

Yeah its quite funny, I downloaded it to give it a go with maya 6.0, installed it, went to get the plug in and..... it only starts at version 6.5!Got my upgrade to 8.5 then went to get the plug in..... Not ther yet!

Dammed if you do dammed if you dont!

ZeroAlarm 29-01-2007 03:34 PM

Haha that's great!
Nice work, it looks really good. Just one thing; I think the glass would fill up faster than that, but apart from that and the sticky edges you mentioned it's really impressive
Good job!

tiddles 02-02-2007 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I need help...

The sticky edges at the top of the wine meniscus that I thought where a mesh mistake I made in real flow are actually a problem with my glass shader.

tiddles 02-02-2007 11:42 AM

The glass material is a standard blinn with a dielectric_material connected to the mentalray material shader (in the blinn's shading group) with a dielectric_material_photon connected to the photon shader. I also tried to set the glass as a 'L-Glass' shader, but had similar results.

If I had to guess it would be something amiss with the refractivity, I set the mentalray settings to production quality with 10 for both reflections & refractions.

Any suggestions would be great, I'd be happy to explain the shader setups in detail if need be.

Thanks,
Dave.

PS: Just a thought - would rendering out in layers make any difference??