Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Problems splitting polygons (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15594)

j5ive 27-02-2005 01:28 PM

Problems splitting polygons

I'm currently under-going the Male body tutorial from the Modelling PLE book/DVD, though with out using the body template as reference as I got completely lost in what I was doing.

However, I have completed the basic topology of the upper torso, but for the finer detail the book says to go to: Edit Polygon > Split, but I cannot find this in the menu all I have is

Edit Polygons> Split polygon tool
Edit polygons> Split Vertex

Each of the above lead to having an angle shaped pointer and me ahving to manually split the polygons though that is not what the book stipulates, I think this should be done automatically.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong or point me in the correct direction.

Thanks

azimuth 27-02-2005 02:30 PM

Since I havent got a copy of Maya in front of me this may be a bit sketchy!

I dont think Maya comes with a split tool that will do it automatically. IIRC there is a somesort of subdivide option but that may not be what your looking for.

I have found MJPoly Tools great for auto splitting polygons, but since it's unlikely that the book assumes you have that plugin, so I would keep it in mind for future use rather than trying to force it into the work flow of the book.

Apologise for a fuzzy info :D

j5ive 27-02-2005 03:25 PM

No worries, thanks for the reply, could you give me a brief walk through of how the split tool works, and how i can manipulate it into creating a greater scope of polygons that i can use to create finer detail on my model cheers.

BTW I had a brief play with the split tool, but can't figure out how to properly use it in order to get a full even spread of splits.

Mike

mhcannon 27-02-2005 03:46 PM

The split polygon tool is manual in the sense that you have to define how you want the face(s) split. The split must start and stop on edge.

With the split polygon tool selected, click on an edge to place the intial anchor point for the split (you can also drag it along an edge, it will be placed when you release the mouse button). This also creates a new vertex. Click on a second edge to add another anchor point, you see a new edge created between the two new points. When you added all the new edges/points you want press the enter key (or "Y" if you want keep using the split poly tool in a different area).

The other tool the tutorial may be referening is the Cut Faces Tool. This is akin to taking a cleaver to you model as it will create a new "ring" of edges/points all the around the model, in straight line determined by the the angle you release the tool at.

azimuth 27-02-2005 04:30 PM

a few extra bits you may find handy:

You cannot use split poly between two edges, if there is one or more inbetween then. It needs to be done a bit like a join the dots picture, hopping from one edge to the next untill you have split all you need.

The split poly option box gives a nice feature of being able to change the magnet strength. In other words if you just want a quick split at exactly midway between two points set the magent tolerence much higher than default. This will mean your click will be moved exactly to the middle or ends. Set the tolerence lower so you can control in more detail where the split will be made.

To see what I badly explained, create a new plot cube and try to split a face right in the middle. Once with low tolerence, then undo and try with much higher tolerence :)

mhcannon 27-02-2005 04:38 PM

Azimuth is correct and sorry if I didn't explain that properly. The cloth & fold tutorial is a good demonstation of the split poly tool:

http://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=53

j5ive 27-02-2005 04:52 PM

Thanks for the replies, I shall have a play around with the split tools until I feel confident, if not I'll be back to peck away at your knowledge again.