Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Texture Image Scale (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27578)

thespongebob 23-09-2007 12:02 AM

Texture Image Scale

I am combining a few different textures into one 1024*1024 .jpg. ex. Bricks, shingles, windows, etc. It seems like an orderly approach.

Now, to properly texture a large face (rood), I would like to scale the selected image. ex scale the shingles smaller.

If I only have one texture within the .jpg, I am allowed to "Image Scale" the UV projection, to replicate the texture across the face. If I "Image Scale" my texture-combo ... it replicates the entire texture.

Is there a way I can "scale" within a material?

Jay 23-09-2007 03:25 PM

I know what you are saying. The problem is that unless you create your uvs with a 1:1 ratio and apply a single material with a single texture map you wont be able to repeat any particular texture on the one texture map.

You have two choices:

1) create uvs within a 1:1 ratio and then take the uv map into your paint package and adjust the textures so they are different sizes and look fine in the 3d space

or

2) create separate maps and different materials. If its a door for example create 1:1 as suggested above or if its a brick wall created a tileable texture where you can just dial in how many times it repaeats over your model.

But bear in mind also that a door texture will look different to a brick texture specular wise etc...so one texture map or material will not necessarily be useful

Hope this helps
Jay

mtmckinley 23-09-2007 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What you could do, and it'd be more work, is if your roof is lots of faces, each face could be mapped to that one section of your texture. if it is made to title within itself and those faces are mapped properly, it'd look like it's tiling. You can't just scale that one part though.

thespongebob 24-09-2007 01:06 AM

Thank you gentlemen. This is a great help.

I recently discovered mapping uv's to different sections of a texture map, within a material. It works like a dream when you are updating dynamically from a .psd project. No creating new materials! I think, however, I have taken this past it's usefullness.

A tiling texture should be on it's own. A "details" texture map should contain 4 textures (eg) ... one for each side of a television. The difference is in ratio of the texture to the face. A brick is tiled to keep the scale close. A tv is already close. I will create materials mBoards, mShingles, mConcrete, mGrass and then create a details material mHouse (mailbox, window, door).

This approach seems to swim a little less upstream.

... and I was well on my way to having an entire video game rendered from one texture map. ;)