Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wing Tip (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1307)

gazzamataz 27-09-2002 02:03 PM

Wing Tip

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to model a Fokker Wulf using NURBs and it is proving to be a FOKKER!!! I am having mares about the cockpit but I think I know know how to do that bit having swotted in the online manual, the problem I have is the wing tip.

It is a series of NURBs circles molded and lofted into a wing but I cannot get a wing tip! Please look at the pickki below and see if anyone can tell me how to do it. I had the same problem when I was working with C4D two years ago...

mtmckinley 27-09-2002 04:24 PM

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to insert an isoparm at the very edge and then scale the new hull inward to close off the shape. Rebuild with 0 to #Spans, UV checked, and CVs, checked, and it should come out ok. At least, it has when I've done similar things. :P

gazzamataz 01-10-2002 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well Micheal

I did this first of all (see top half of image) which is probably going around the houses but it produced a lovely wing tip! Then I tried your suggesttion (see bottom half of image) which worked also, but if you were to view it close up you would see a hole or something of a crease.

So, thankyou for your help and those tutorials on your website - excellent! I hope that this little post has taught others out there a bit about NURBs modelling - it takes learning, application and practice...

undseth 01-10-2002 05:56 PM

Heres another solution.

1 Attachment(s)
I had this problem earlier, but i found a way to make this wing tip. Although it would now seem that my way takes a little more time.

Well, i used the boundry function under "surfaces".

1) I first copied the curve(s) from the end of the wing-tip, and made another curve to function as theborder of the to-be-wing-tip. I also made a similar curve to show the wing-border vertically.

2) Then I made sure the three curves were connected, and split them all at the intersetions.

3) Then I could apply the four boundry surfaces, two on top of the wing and two on the underside.

For showing off I am hereby presenting a project of mine, almost finished.

Ask me for the propellars if you want :) , unless you want to make them by yourself.

This is a spitfire MkI. and the following is, pics of a PBY-5a Catalina, and I just love nurbs these days!

Although things seems neat, they are almost never after scematics and such. I dont have the construction plans, so i cannot design things 100%.

undseth 01-10-2002 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And heres the Catalina. Im currently having problems with the cockpit at the front.

undseth 01-10-2002 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres is some details.

It took me 6 hours to make these two blister, and antoher 6 to correct something i designed wrong in the first place. :banghead:

If you keep a tidy modelspace and stay away of annoying errors, like mixing up the curves, nurbs is fun to work with.

Some planning in advance is adviced.

adldesigner 01-10-2002 06:12 PM

Whoa .. now thereĀ“s some great Nurbs modelling!
Keep up the good work undseth!

I agree on the nurbs planning subject ... specially with spans and vertexes counting.

By the way .. you should try posting that in the WIP section :)

undseth 01-10-2002 06:20 PM

One important thing about "boundry tool"

Thank you adldesigner!:beer:

I picked three curves to make a surface with the boundry tool.

BUT!

You get different results according to what order you pick the three curves!!! You might want to fiddle around to make it look like what you want.

undseth 01-10-2002 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a better explanation of what i had to say.

irv_bryan 03-10-2002 01:49 AM

another spitfire wing

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Firstly that other spitfire model looks bloody good.
Im trying to make a spit model myself and im having real problems with the wing. I made it by extruding a curve along contruction lines to give me the top and botom surfaces. Then i wanted to align curves from the top and bottom surfaces on the leading and trailing edge of the wings (to give the profiles for these parts) then use the birail tool to make a nice smooth continuous survace (or two or three) to complete the wing.
Cant align curves to the surfaces, thus cant get the right curve on my birail. Any ideas anyone? This is certainly an excercise.

Thanks in advance

Bryan

mtmckinley 03-10-2002 02:40 AM

you probably don't want to use a trimmed surface

undseth 03-10-2002 02:52 AM

I tried to use the birail function for my spitfire-wing, but i couldnt make it work the way i wanted.

Im not quite sure how you were planning to make the wing.
You seem to be missing the front curve on the wing, i dont know why you havent made that curve yet, maybe you weren't planning to.

Here's what i think :)

1) Like gazzamataz with his fockewulf and with my spitfire, i think it would be easiest to first make the wing without the wing-tip, and do that tip later.

2) If you birail the wing again with this (see below 1) curve innermost and outermost on the wing;

(1)...instead of making two different curves like you propably have done for the upper and lower side of you wing... You can first make a whole (unclosed i think) profile with ONE curve

then...You should get the same wing as the one you made i think, with the difference that you also have
some rounding of the front of the whole birailed wing.
(you would then have ONE birailed surface i think)(or just pick a point on the first innermost and the second outermost profile-curve and detach the curve into two parts... which you can make two seperate birail-surfaces)

3) When making curves from the isoprams of the wing (if I get your idea right)you would get ONE curve per wing-profile or two curves if you made two birail-surfaces.)

4) After copying all the relevant isoparm into independent curves (am i right?) in both(?) u and v directions, which gives you profiles of the wing in both alongside and cross the wing, i guess you could use some birail tool, but i never figured it out... so here it ends...
---
I used only regular profiles (one way);
1) first making one main profile (one curve, unclosed)(innermost) and making copies and then distributing the copies out towards the wing-tip.

2) the copies would be scaled to be smaller and thinner as they comes nearer the wing-tip.

3) BUT, it is impossible i guess, to just make the profiles in lofting (like i did eventually settles for) AND produce a flawless wing, without bumps and other wierd shapes.

so...
4) I got into the open GL mode with real lights(7 on the keyboard) to use you own eye to spot irregularities on the wing, and correct them on the spot. Tweaking the few CV's on the provile-curve eventually giving the wing-surface that shiny, flat and close to flawless surface.

When using the GL with real ligths you need of course to position the light so that it shines on the parts to be corrected. You rotate the model and watch the coloring/shining change as the light hits the various parts of the surface. One doesnt have to be an einstein to spot irregularities, its quite easy. But it takes some practice to know how much to tweak the cv's here and there. The cv's are optimally to be moved just up or down, but I didnt bother to do that, anyway the final result was ok with me.

You spot on the wireframe mesh, how skewed the mesh becomes,(if you moved the cv's around without too much coordination)(i didnt take it too seriously, but i guess ill try to be more symmetric and such the next time i make an airplane) you may want to move the cv's here and there to get a nice mesh. But it isnt hard.

undseth 03-10-2002 03:10 AM

Oh another thing. I see that gazzamataz has made a tail with the provile curves, and i made my tail the same way :).

On the pic of the catalina, its whole tail is made out the same initial profile-curve. All to the end where i cheated a little, the error there isnt noticable, the last curve was scaled way small.

I made the tail by pulling up cv's from the profile-curves. But i had to add some cv's (knots) to the back-most profiles to get a rounded shape on the tail.

And the profile-curves cannot be evenly distributed on the tail, the profiles have to be tighter in distribution and more in numbers (but not that many) around the back-most tail-area. Else the shape goes wild as you pull the cv's upwards.

Btw, i used loft to make the tails of mine.

Kevin 03-10-2002 07:32 AM

wow...what a very informative post!!!! great work guys.. great explanation undseth..

many thanks

irv_bryan 03-10-2002 11:12 AM

the wing

1 Attachment(s)
Hi again,
Thanks alot for the info Undseth.
Your description is pretty much how i made my wing in the first place, untill i got to the tip and it went all wrong.
Im not sure i explained what i was doing very well, it was late. Ill have another go.
I want to create curves round the wing between the top and bottom surfaces that are aligned with both surfaces like 1,2 and 3, cept smaller and not painted on in photoshop lol.
I then want to use these curves to run a birail, or two round the wing to create the front, tip and back edge all at once. This should give a nice clean result and make the wing smooth with out tweaking.
I came to this solution after talking to someone who works in A|W Studio. Im sure there must be some way to do it in Maya too.

Thanks again
Bryan