Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   learning physics (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4419)

dbirider 06-03-2003 11:59 PM

learning physics

Hmm.. well, im debating weather or not to take physics in my senior year of highschool nexed year. If I dont take it, i would propably end up taking more art electives instead. And i am finishing my science sequence this year so i dont have to take it. (i already did earth science and biology. and im taking chemistry now)

How important would learning physics be for 3d animation and such? Have you ever found yourself having to write up an equation to get best results for an animation or something??
what would you suggest?
thanks.

oh, and i need to know this now, cause my course selection sheet for nexed year is due tommoro for school.

Emo 07-03-2003 12:04 AM

if you are good in math, you wont have a problem in Physics... I took it in High school and to tell you the truth, it's really good to know some things about physics beause it might help you with 3D later on...

-Emo

M 07-03-2003 12:17 AM

Even though you dont need it dbrider, it looks hella good. But if your GPA is kinda low, choose an easy course like keyboarding or such.. which if you know how to type its almost a automatic 100%.. thus boosting your gpa :). But yea, physics for me is not a drag, i kinda like the stuff... i prefer chem tho :).

Emo 07-03-2003 12:42 AM

Have you guys seen the movie The Time Maching (2002).? I love the way they did the part where he is on a lather and writing all of his walls with formulas... I wanna do that someday :D

-Emo

undseth 07-03-2003 01:45 AM

The movie with Guy Pierce?

I was suprised by the quality of that movie!
Recommended!

The virtual guy in the museum was a cool idea too.

Emo 07-03-2003 02:44 AM

yeah taht movie.. at the end it got weird with all the underground monsters but I liked it

-Emo

mshoward82 07-03-2003 04:03 AM

How important it would be for 3d? I don't know. :confused:

I think Physics is a very interesting subject. It'll make you look at things differently and maybe understand simple things better. You'll probalby learn the basics of gravity and moving objects and light. Maybe some mass related topics and heat also.

I just think its interesting because its what makes up the entire universe that we live in.

According to a theory me and a few freinds came up with, is that if you can create a computer that calculate every action in the universe, and then by the theory every action has a reaction, then you can predict the future just by seeing what reaction a particle will have another particle. Then this possibly ending a life all life as its know because there is no future.
(lot of free time on my hands. :) )

Well don't want to get into that any further. But you can see where i'm going. It'll make you start to think a lot more. It can be very complex and intersting. Very cool subject.

Anyway, I'm glad I took it in high school. It helped out alot for when i went to college for engineering.

PS.- That movie was cool. Just didn't like the end with the wild ape men.

Zombra 07-03-2003 04:10 AM

In physics you learn optics (lenses, raytracing, reflection, etc.). mechanics (anything that moves)

I took physics in what we call CEGEP here in Canada, well in Quebec, before going to University and I find that it helps a lot. I am still a newbie, but so far the little things that i've done, I thought 50% physics and 50% art.

I think it would be interesting for you taking physics.

depends on each individual you know!

mshoward82 07-03-2003 04:18 AM

I quess you learn different things everywhere.

See, I didn't learn anything about optics just touched on light waves and wave lengths.

Zombra, you got more in depth in optics than I did.

Ohwell, everyone learns something different.

mark_wilkins 07-03-2003 05:15 AM

I have a degree in physics and I've worked seven years in animation production. Here's my take:

* Effects animators could benefit greatly from physics knowledge, as dynamics simulations are a significant tool. The important thing is to remember when to leave physics behind and go for something that looks good.

* Character riggers can also benefit from a physics background in that the mathematical foundation of geometric transformations, which is important to character rigging, will be familiar if you've done much physics work. In physics, as in CG, the idea of "frame of reference" (which in CG is usually referred to as "choice of coordinate space") and the mathematical underpinnings of it are very useful.

* Finally, lighters may be able to analyze their ways out of interesting problems by using some of the problem solving skills learned in physics, though this would not be such a direct application.

-- Mark

LSphinx 07-03-2003 06:44 AM

hey, c'mon man,....
Physics is the key to everything!!!... you definitely should take it.. physics will open the door to a real life!!! :-) and what concernes 3D, you are definitely going to need it!!

P.S. Physics is the KEY mate :-)
thanx

-<{ JB }>- 07-03-2003 06:57 AM

yay, I'm in physics at the moment at high-school. We're just finishing up our optics unit - with raytracing and all (the test is on Friday 14th). It's great and I love it :D .

dbirider 07-03-2003 09:26 PM

Thanks guys! I decided to take physics. But instead of taking a regents course in physics, i decided to take the more hands on physics class called conceptual physics.
The difference between the two courses, is that... the regents one is learning tons and tons of formulas, taking tests all the time, tons of math and not all that much hands on stuff. colleges usually like it if you take this course. The conceptual physics one is a little easier, more hands on stuff, less tests, less formulas, and more fun the. Soooo.. i pretty much decided on that one because i dont want to spend my senior year of high school all stressed out and stuff.. and i like hands on type stuff also.

so my nexed year school scedual is going to be... (9 periods)

2 periods of english every other day
2 periods of social studies every other day (usually on the days i dont have english)
1 period of conceptual physics
So those are basically my learning classes. totalling up to 3 out of 9 periods per day.
Then i have
1 period of lunch
1 period of gym every other day
and then 4.5 periods of art classes :)
- drawing a and b
- painting and drawing a and b
- sculpture a and b
- ceramics a and b
- time travellers a and b (you study the different typse of art throughout history and take field trips to museams and stuff)
- this course where you mix computor graphics with painting somehow...

those are all the art classes i chose to take.. but one of them is going to be omitted when they make my scedual, unless i decide not to have a lunch period.