Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Alien caught on video (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26074)

Velusion 01-05-2007 04:02 AM

Alien caught on video

here is a video that shows what happens to aliens that come to Earth.

Alien video

This is a Flash video.

ColdWave 01-05-2007 04:16 AM

I like it :attn:

01-05-2007 06:55 AM

Sweet dynamics!
:beer:

01-05-2007 12:08 PM

that was sweet man 9/10:beer:

wasatch5_sparticus 01-05-2007 07:03 PM

Very cool!! I just think that he could have a bit of a shaddow while he's in the shade. That's it for my crits! I love the personality in the face and he really look just super cool!! Good work my friend!

KUTGW

Sparticus

Velusion 01-05-2007 08:41 PM

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I did put a shadow on him in the shade but I think I need to turn it up a bit. You're right; it really doesn't show at all..

Rhetoric Camel 02-05-2007 12:37 AM

I thought it was pretty cool looking, wasn't a fan of the music choice but thats not what we're really looking at here. I dont' know much about how you do what you did and anything about animation, but I do know it looked pretty good. How long did it take for you to animate this scene (counting the modeling and rigging)?

Velusion 02-05-2007 01:26 AM

I modeled the alien last year. I think it took about 40 hours to model(including the active muscles beneath the skin) and maybe another 10 to rig. The animation for all 4 shots took about 10 hours. That doesn't include the deteriorating skin or the particle FX. The hardest part of the whole project was just trying to figure out how to make the skin deteriorate. I ended up using a 3D noise texture on the model to generate a matte that I used to create the holes in the skin. Most of it was done while I was compositing the layers together.

Rhetoric Camel 02-05-2007 01:35 AM

just out of curiosity, what is the active muscle you created under the skin? is it something necessary for animation or is it just something you do to help yourself and make it more realistic?

Velusion 02-05-2007 02:50 AM

The muscles are a part of a muscle/skin system that I bought called Cmuscle. It's a plug-in for Maya. It allows you to create muscles that flex and jiggle. The system also allows you to create skin that reacts more like real skin. I didn't have to use it but I wanted to. I like the results I got but I think that my next model will make use of blendshapes and a softbody skin instead.

Cmuscle is a great muscle system but I think you can get more controlled results from using well modeled blendshapes and softbody skin set up to collide with objects beneath the skin.

Thanks for asking

bobalie 02-05-2007 05:02 AM

Well, I liked the movie, only things were
1. Little short ( yeah, yeah, I know it's an animation and it takes a long time to make/render, but it still was pretty basic. No offence)
2. A little brutal:
START OF SCENE: introducing a cute alien, who looks like he's enjoying the cars and other things of earth...
END OF SCENE: Chokes on air (?), and then explodes/implodes....
Don't get me wrong, it was impressive, I'm just wondering what you were trying to. . . for lack of better words, DO with this.
I'm sorry if I've caused offence, and I didn't mean to. Also, you're way better than I can hope to be in many years, so don't take this the wrong way.
Chris.

Rhetoric Camel 02-05-2007 05:52 AM

no problem thanks for the explenation, although some of it is kind of foreign to me, but with the help of google I will understand better.

Velusion 02-05-2007 06:20 AM

No offense taken.

I wasn't trying to "do" anything with this clip. It is what it is. Now I'm on to my next project.... Thanks for the comments though!

arran 02-05-2007 05:55 PM

good job velusion - i remeber when you modeled this guy last year - glad to see the final animation.
:beer:

bobalie 03-05-2007 12:14 AM

Right on, I'd love to see what your next thing is.