Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Jan/Feb - Frayo - Norm (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10182)

frayo 03-02-2004 05:54 PM

Jan/Feb - Frayo - Noob

okay... :D this is it... i know its late but i wanna try myself on this. this is my character. he's called YAWA. i still want to improve him but i got to start now in order to make it on time. :)

Please guys...your comments and critizisms. :D

frayo 03-02-2004 05:55 PM

Background History:

His origins are unknown. one thing is certain though...he was a man before he turn into this creature that he is now. he is a very powerful creature. weapons are of no use to him. his monstrous strength and cunning agility can rip a man apart instantaneously. in intense situations...he shifts into this altered state of blood thristy beast on a killing frenzy. he's been known as Yawa.

frayo 03-02-2004 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the sketch :)

mtmckinley 03-02-2004 06:10 PM

cool stuff, looking forward to it. :) Glad people are still entering!

Clod 03-02-2004 07:41 PM

Cool history, cool character

frayo 05-02-2004 07:19 PM

WIP

1 Attachment(s)
here's my progress...kinda slow. im still learning to model human figures...and i wanna do it right.

i'm planning to convert the polys to SubDs. do you guys think i have to many faces on my model? comments and suggestions pls. :D

twisteddragon33 05-02-2004 08:08 PM

looks like a good start so far but i hope your going to add more definition to those abs.

Pony 06-02-2004 12:27 AM

Looks like a great start, you can wory about the detailing latter. I love the concept sketch.

Its also very nice to see a lot of people using concepts and haveing some story behind what they are doing.

frayo 06-02-2004 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks guys :D that's very encouraging.

i decided to re- modeled from the begining. this time i used SubDs. the back still needs some work and the arms going to the wrist.

But i have a big problem...my machine, it seems like its going to give up me already. :eek: its an old PIII. i was thinking there might be some other approach so that i can finish my model...i'm not certain what exactly. any suggestions guys..?:rolleyes:

anyway, here's what i've done so far...

mtmckinley 06-02-2004 05:24 PM

Lookin' good :)

Not sure what to tell you about your machine. Best thing I could suggest is to save smoothing the model until you're ready to render and make adjustments accordingly.

Alan 06-02-2004 05:28 PM

methinks someone may need to be pushed out of nooby land and into the normal competition ;)

The last render looks good, I think you could do with a little bit more definition where the peck meets the arm (the shoulder area I believe it's called!! ;))

Alan

twisteddragon33 06-02-2004 05:29 PM

Convert your model to poly using vertices so it diesnt subdevide. Then tweak it untill you get th desired shape. Then convert to subd when you need it smoother. Its a lot less harsh on the machin imo. I do it once and a while. But so far the guy looks good:)

frayo 06-02-2004 07:53 PM

mtmckinley:

yah dat could work too...thanks :)

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
methinks someone may need to be pushed out of nooby land and into the normal competition ;)

Thanks Alan....
really? :D how do you qualify to be norm btw...?

twisteddragon33: thanks i'll try it.

mtmckinley 06-02-2004 10:10 PM

You're definitely on the right track to being bumped to Normal.

The only criteria is myself or Dave_Baer deciding that your entry is on track to competing with the other normal entries. Of course, on an aside, I'd like to just do away with the categorization, as I'd hate for people who don't get the "bump" treatment to feel inadequate...

spekkio 07-02-2004 03:19 AM

yeah he's definitely right on track alright!

frayo: it's looking great, can't wait to see it finished...btw, i doubt that you can't finish it within the deadline, with that kind of pace im sure you will.

Darth

frayo 08-02-2004 12:20 PM

okey... :) i had to re-do the model again...coz my old PIII just couldn't handle SubDs that much. so i used polyProxy instead. i could have converted my last model to poly as twisteddragaon suggested but i was optimistic that i could reduce poly count if i'd build it again...but eventualy ended up with the same dense model. details on the model improved though... :D

this is my first time to model a human figure (with the intent of showing it)...so i'm having a hard time on the hands and feet. i'm checking out Stahlberg's tut.

here's the guy...

frayo 08-02-2004 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...sorry i messed up d attachment heheh :bgreen:

okay here he is :D

mtmckinley 08-02-2004 04:17 PM

yeah, buddy. You're up to Norm now. :D Congrats! Keep up the good work.

lonepig 08-02-2004 04:18 PM

Looks awesome mate. I assume your gona model in some nipples and some kind of seam or zipper on the trousers? Personally I would add a bit more defination around the shoulder blade area.

frayo 08-02-2004 04:40 PM

Mike:

great...! :D thanks Mike. this is sooo cool... can't wait to finish it. :bgreen:

Lonepig:

thanks mate. yeah...i'll be putting the nipples and zipper later. :) and i agree his back needs some more tweaking.

...on with the feet

twisteddragon33 08-02-2004 09:18 PM

Congrats on the bump. Looks like its coming along nicely.

frayo 09-02-2004 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks twisted. :D

here's the feet. i never thought it would be so hard to model a foot. took me almost 6 hours (and i didn't even noticed it pass) to make it look decent enuf.

ugly feet :P

mtmckinley 09-02-2004 08:05 PM

nice. :) are the nails going to be textured or modeled? The smaller toes look a little flattend.

Pony 10-02-2004 12:58 AM

I don't know. the toe next to the pinky one looks like its to flat. But really damn nice feet over all. Feet are hard if you have not done alot of them. your doing great though.

3dgurl 10-02-2004 05:08 AM

wow dude looking cool

Clod 10-02-2004 02:50 PM

Very impressive.

frayo 10-02-2004 03:03 PM

Mike:
thanks Mike :D i was thinking of making the nails a diffrent mesh and jus attach it to the foot mesh. what do you think? will that work? coz in Stahlberg's tut he was using SubDs in which he can apply a crease. in polyproxy the only way to do it is by adding more edges...there are too many edges already...i'll try and see though if i can do that also. and i agree...its a bit flat hehe :D

Pony:
yeah ur right and so is Mike...i finally saw it after i had some sleep. lol :D. thanks!

3dgurl:
ey thanks! :D

Clod
Thanks Clod... :D

vizion 11-02-2004 01:10 AM

Nice modeling and character. Does he have any special power(s)?

cybertec 20-02-2004 04:06 AM

good work franz! grabe gyud di na gyud ma-reach!!!!
teach me ana beh kay nahan na pud ko maya di lang ko kahibaw!!!

frayo 22-02-2004 09:49 PM

FINALLY....

1 Attachment(s)
aaaaaahhhhhhh.....!!!! finally i think i'm done with the model....i had to be...there's not much time left. :p modeling time is definintely over.

i've had some serious delays....i couldn't work on it for a week. i hope i can still make it though...

the hands were a super pain in @$$....hahahaha. so small yet it takes so much time.

the head.....oh i had to do 3 until i got satisfied witht third. it was worth it though. i learned a lot...

all in all im happy....considering i'm learning as i go...being a first timer anfd all that.

so here's the guy:

frayo 22-02-2004 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a closer shot...

frayo 22-02-2004 09:56 PM

possible rigging problem

1 Attachment(s)
ey guys... i think i may have a big problem regarding rigging my character. i wasn't really able to plan out the whole thing...i just jumped in...and made myself a very dense mesh. i never rigged a acharcter b4. do you think i can rig this one....what are the things i should watch out for....things to keep in mind. i dont have enuf time to experiment.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

mtmckinley 22-02-2004 10:00 PM

Nice job. :) One thing I might suggest with the model is to have the little horns on his torso seem to actually protrude from the skin more. Right now it's kinda just intersecting the surface, if you get my meaning.

Yeah, the mesh is a bit dense. Might be too late for this one, but in the future, you might want to rig it before smoothing.

frayo 22-02-2004 10:25 PM

yeah i get what you mean Mike....its kinda difficult coz the topoly of the torso is actually messy. i tried putting details like the nipples..i also tried the seams in his pants....but the result is ugly. my topology is badly built i only paid much attention on topolgy when i was trying to build the head this is biggest lesson i learn about topoly. so i was thinking maybe it can be remedied with the texture... some bump or displacement maybe...

about the rigging...well, i still have the unsmoothened mesh. the smoothed one i render is a smooth proxy. is skinning mentained if i use smooth proxy or do i have to use smooth operation...?

well. i guess i'm about to find out...

thanks mike :)

vizion
sorry i forgot to reply....yes he's got powers. he can concentrate energy and use it however he wants it. like bolts of electricity...fireball...things like that.. :D

cybertec
J! hehe salamat bai....patudlo ka maya...way problema na :D nhan kaayo ko mo-share pra daghan ta. hehe suway2x ra gud ni bai...kadaug pa diay ko sa libro...heheh

dragonsfire 22-02-2004 10:36 PM

Real nice and clean :beer

frayo 22-02-2004 10:46 PM

thanks dragonsfire :D

mumbojumbo_13 23-02-2004 12:33 PM

man thats dense
--
but good luck with it all :D

spekkio 23-02-2004 10:28 PM

cheers! nice work bai...

Stormgetto 24-02-2004 02:49 AM

mY GOSH!!!
U are crazy.....Are u trying "enter in the Matrix"???
Anyway.....great job!!!!!I wish that I could get at this stage.....
So just a question what kind of machine u using????

flib 24-02-2004 03:23 AM

It does look very dense, is it smoothed? Have you tried editing the smoothness level with it's input node.

Looks excellent though! Nice job :)