Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Maya in the Video Game industry book. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10526)

mhcannon 16-06-2005 06:58 PM

shoot, looks like I'm too late on this one, but hey maybe for book three!

I'd love to see a book dedicated to texture mapping and map painting. Your first book is the best Maya book I've see with UV mapping, but a dedicated book could allow more in depth detail. So far the best texturing book I've seen is the one for Lightwave 8. Something like that for Maya would rock.

NitroLiq 16-06-2005 07:51 PM

Level/environment design would also be cool.

mtmckinley 17-06-2005 02:42 PM

Thanks, Mhcannon :) Glad you liked it! A texturing book could very well happen one day. Who knows? "The Game Artist's Guide" may become a whole series! That'd be somethin'.

mtmckinley 02-11-2005 09:43 PM

This may be a bit "plug-ish" but my 2nd book proposal will be really given the run-through regarding whether it'll be done in another week, and one thing they are going to be looking at is the critical reception of my first book.

I'd just like to request if anyone here bought and enjoyed my book, if they'd take a moment to write a nice review at Amazon. It'd really be a great help! (link in my sig)

(if you didn't like the book, then this is a time of silent contemplation as we look at ourselves and our relationship with nature and all that... ;))

t1ck135 03-11-2005 12:04 PM

Good luck mike, hope it gets all the green lights you need.
Was it about animating wildly different objects? If so I'll be after a copy please :D
p.s, if you need a beta tester on the book then just ask ;)

MattTheMan 03-11-2005 08:23 PM

Hey Mike, YOU ROCK! I love your book, but my crit would be not enough in-depthness about texture painting.

Cheers, :beer:
,Matt :alien:

mtmckinley 03-11-2005 09:26 PM

as in, painting the texture in photoshop?

If that's what you mean, then yeah... because it was an official Maya Press book, I couldn't really go into anything from a seperate application, such as photoshop.

MattTheMan 03-11-2005 11:41 PM

Ya, I catch ya. But it still would be c00lio if you made the "Game Artists Guide to Maya (and in one of the books "The Game Artist's Guide to Photoshop"!)" series.

Cheers, :beer:
,Matt :alien:

mtmckinley 10-01-2006 04:39 AM

This book is now available for preorder at the link below. :)

t1ck135 10-01-2006 12:03 PM

Good stuff mike, its very tempting to click that pre-order link :)

Any chance of a discount if you have the first book? :p

EX-Nitro 10-01-2006 09:09 PM

I'm very dissapointed that there is no book about designing levels for PLATFORM-arcade game. Everywhere I look it's about Quake and FPS. Not everyone likes that kind of game.
cheers!

publicFunction 11-01-2006 12:28 PM

Mike,

Got your book, "The Game Artist's Guide to Maya", for Christmas and have found it a really good read and has sorted out my issues with UV Mapping (could never get my head around it for some reason). I am about finished and only have the particles chapter to read.

Fantastic and Well Done on it. Easy to read and I didn't fall asleep once ;).

Nitro, the problem with level design is that a book would have to cover multiple game engines and sooooo many different apps.

HL2 - Source
FarCry - FarEngine
Unreal Series - UnrealEd/Unreal Warfare Engine

There are other engines out there to cover platform games, try the following sites for info:

GameStudio
BlitzBasic

Have Fun