Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Stick Man Animation (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13174)

FubaR 04-09-2004 01:55 PM

LOL !!!!!:D :D :D
very nice !!!
i like the style how the person is walking !

EvoxReloaded 04-09-2004 03:45 PM

very nice RC cant wait till it comes out!!.. Thanx for the tutorial!

RubberChicken 04-09-2004 07:53 PM

Thanks guys.... you better be patient because me and dragonhawk still have a long way to go :)

EvoxReloaded 05-09-2004 07:22 AM

man that tut is fast..

RubberChicken 05-09-2004 04:49 PM

Like I said a quick little tut :)

Dragonhawk 05-09-2004 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys....this is the building i made.i will make the edges more in a chinese style more looking up....and maybe ill change the ground shader....or what do u think....

ckyuk 05-09-2004 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by EvoxReloaded
actually trey claimed that southpark was "made entirely of construction paper and hours on the crapper"..
Only the pilot episode.

RubberChicken 05-09-2004 07:43 PM

:D :D :D

Good work on the building dragonhawk but as you said try and make it looks more chinese.

Kerosene 05-09-2004 10:47 PM

Love the stuff so far! Do we get to see hoardes of leaping ninjas?

EvoxReloaded 06-09-2004 04:40 AM

your right the pilot was made with cut outs but it is all done with maya now..

RubberChicken 06-09-2004 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kerosene
Love the stuff so far! Do we get to see hoardes of leaping ninjas?
If that is your desire then yes :D

Alan 06-09-2004 04:06 PM

ok I watched the "promotional trailer" here's my thoughts...

1. Walk cycle is ok for a rough one, but it looks just like one long loop. There's no change in pace or anything. Mix it up a bit add some randomness.

2. The model appears to slip as it walks. fix this because it's a very simple thing to fix and it really makes things look awful when it happens! ;)

3. If you are going for a cell shaded look then fine, but at the moment it looks like it was done on a BBC Micro from the mid 80s (no offence!) :D Sort out something better and really take you time on the style. Look at some VFS shorts they tend to have some really nice styling (look for the dinosaur one called "ouch!" i think that's it's name).

4. Don't try too much, get some simple stuff that looks cool and is well done rather than a large quantity of mediocre stuff.

5. Change the particles of blood so that it fountains down rather than shooting straight up like a geyser! ;) maybe have some splat the camera as well ;)

:ninja:
Alan

diseasekrot 06-09-2004 04:43 PM

wow!

wow,i really like what youve done so far and the enviroment is looking great. guess i have lot to learn because im new and never knew you could do something like that! is the cel shading also done in maya? or another program>?

RubberChicken 06-09-2004 06:49 PM

Pure_Morning: Thanks for the tips, I will work on the walk cycle and try and get it looking tip top :), but in the actual animation there will be just too much stuff going on to be able to pick out all the details. As for the blood tho it was my intention for this unatural (cartoony) spray. If you seen Kill Bill you might know what Im talking about.

diseasekrot: Thanks, and yes cel shading is done in maya, well its an optimised shader downloaded from highend3d.com.

ckyuk 06-09-2004 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
5. Change the particles of blood so that it fountains down rather than shooting straight up like a geyser! ;) maybe have some splat the camera as well ;)

Alan

In alot of old kung-fu movies (the good ones) the blood would shoot several feet from bodies. Either that or in the cheap ones someone would get cut and then the blood would apear a few minutes later It depends if you want a retro style.

EDIT: That post wasn't there when i clicked reply, sorry.

murph 06-09-2004 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
If you are going for a cell shaded look then fine, but at the moment it looks like it was done on a BBC Micro from the mid 80s

Ha HA HA hA Ha HE HE HE he he hooo hhooooo,

sorry that made me laugh for ages, only because i remember it...

Great work you guys, looking forward to this... ;)

Dragonhawk 07-09-2004 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the builind with tweeked building-edges and toon shader...... what could i tweak?

Dragonhawk 07-09-2004 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a part from top:

RubberChicken 07-09-2004 07:23 PM

Hey dragonhawk, firstly I am sorry I wasnt able to come on msn but I was swarmed with school work :mad: :angry:, secondly I like the building it looks good. You could start to model some of the insides.

Dragonhawk 07-09-2004 08:53 PM

nah RC that`s no problem....i will have these days too ,where school minimizes my free time....besides i decided to learn drawing and photoshop...so a lot to do these days....

Alan 08-09-2004 08:26 AM

Dragonhawk there is no detail in that building you have made. It's basically brown cubes, blue (!?) windows and red cylinders... the toon shading doesnt work because it is removing all of the edges bewteen the components and thus it just looks like a bit of a mess... sorry dude I'm just trying to be honest with you. IMO scrap the texturing for now and concentrate on the building, add some lanterns, fences, extra walls, little stuff. At the moment it's just boring and to be honest not very well done. Spend a little more time with what you're doing and don't just say "that will do" make it perfect.

I hope you take this as a constructive crit and not as a harsh comment.

:ninja:
Alan

Dragonhawk 08-09-2004 03:35 PM

we really decided to keep it very simple and concentrate on the animation part much more because that's the part where we both need a bit learning by doing.....

to the building....The shader really doesnt show the edges anymore and i dont know why...maybe RC can help me (if he would come online)

To your comment pure morning:
I have no problem with critiques....never.
And now i show you some positioning oh a stickman modeled by RC (i was bored )

Dragonhawk 08-09-2004 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ì

Dragonhawk 08-09-2004 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
o

Psuedo Realizm 08-09-2004 06:08 PM

thats one of the coolest things i've seen in a long time.. i'm gonna try that out here real soon.. but i need to get better at organic modeling so this is going to be next on my to-do list

ckyuk 08-09-2004 06:26 PM

hang on, let me get this right. You need to get better at modelling to make a stick man? It's just a sphere with a few cylinders attached. :confused:

RubberChicken 08-09-2004 06:32 PM

Hehe, hese right you dont need to be good at modeling to make a sticman, in fact a sticman was my first ever model I made when I started maya.

Psuedo Realizm 08-09-2004 06:35 PM

haha nooo... i dont mean i need it as a prerequisite to modeling a stickman.... organic modeling is just something i've been needing to get better at for a long time... so its something i want to learn before i start allowing myself to goof off on other stuff... sorry i should have clarified

murph 08-09-2004 06:41 PM

sorry guys, iv'e not read every post on this thread, but
Dragon hawk - your using maya 6/0 ple
And RC, your using maya 6.0 unlim,

is there not a problem with transferring files between you both, or have i just talked out my ass again?

ckyuk 08-09-2004 07:01 PM

I'm guessing Dragonhawk has an earlier version of maya and just used 6 to import RubberChickens stick model.

RubberChicken 08-09-2004 07:03 PM

Well dragonhawk has version 5, and yes i do have 6 un. but dragonhawk has promised me that he will be geting version 6 very soon :) I hope....

EvoxReloaded 08-09-2004 07:42 PM

he can have my license for 6 unl

murph 08-09-2004 07:43 PM

ow, thinking outside the box there, like it!

EvoxReloaded 08-09-2004 07:45 PM

well im losing my life to the man soon and i wont be needing this copy, nor thiskey, nor this computer. i can donate..

RubberChicken 08-09-2004 08:06 PM

I want your computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back on topic now, you will be glad to hear thet the first 500 frames is batch rendering as I write. Progress will be slow now as my teachers just wont leave me alone and they keep giving me homework! :mad:

EvoxReloaded 08-09-2004 08:08 PM

give me your addy.. i cant pay for shipping though.. the man has rang me outta all of my money...

murph 08-09-2004 08:19 PM

do you need $500 ?

EvoxReloaded 08-09-2004 08:25 PM

sadly i do... but due to the position im in i will lose everything because of an f-up on the gov's side.. they have cost me my job to start so i must move away to find more computer work.. next they tack on fines for reasons i cant figure out.. (randomly:OMG!! a huge car wreck just occured in front of my house).. if i dont pay the 500 by tomorow im screwed... i had just enough to move and nothing more.. then they take that and demand more.. they have shutdown my bank accounts.. suspended my license.. and who knows what they will do next.. i have a feeling i might be on the run for a while..

btw sorry to rant on here.. but the internet is the only voice i have left...

murph 08-09-2004 08:43 PM

stick your maya on "buy it now" option on ebay, and your puter, you'll easily make $500

EvoxReloaded 08-09-2004 08:49 PM

i dont have any money to list it.... and i dont have much time.. thanx for trying though.. but this situation is much more dier thani have made it sound... i hope i dont go postal...