Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Stick Man Animation (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13174)

Mantat 05-10-2004 02:34 PM

I think the renders would look better if you used contour lines. Especialy for the dummies and tables. But you would have to use Mental Ray.

Looking forward to see the final version of the animation!

RubberChicken 10-10-2004 09:27 AM

I am so so so so so sorry for the lack of updates, but this was a really crappy week for both me and dragonhawk. I am now back on the project with triple productivity and its been maya non stop for the last 2 days!

Contour lines would be nice but firstly me and mental ray dont go together (not yet anyway :)) and secondly that would dramaticlly increase render time (or so I understand, correct me if Im wrong).

Echuu 11-10-2004 03:31 PM

Hello ím new to maya and as my first serious(done som tutorials and shit before)
project i was thinking kung fu stick fight(a little like youres.)
I have 2 Q's and i would be a happy if anyone would awnser.

How do you guys do the head band?

I also ha va problem with the joints. When i bind the joint and when i for example pull a little at the knee joint it doesend bend i thut pulls and stuff like that. Not working obviously.

Im gonna post 2 pictures and want all the critismism you can tell me. I wanna know about the skelleton things i done wrong and wy its not working.

Normal skelleton(or not?)
If it doesnt work go to http://www17.brinkster.com/hiphopnet/sti_nr.jpg

fu.cked up skelleton(not working)
If it doesnt work go to http://www17.brinkster.com/hiphopnet/sti_nr.jpg

couldnt get the pictures to be (img) but you can juto go to them.

Sorry i took youre time and bandwidth :)

RubberChicken 11-10-2004 04:16 PM

Hello and welcome.

The headband is really quite simple, its just a nurbs plane that has been wrapped around my characters head (see pic below)

http://www.3dden.co.uk/pic2.jpg

And I think I know what you mean about the skeleton, I had a similar problem. Theres nothing wrong with the skeleton itself, the problem lies in your stickman. The joints have no verticles to act upon, so make sure you divide up your cilinder with the split poly tool at the place where your joints are located (see pic below)

http://www.3dden.co.uk/pic1.jpg

Echuu 11-10-2004 05:20 PM

I've been hangin' mostly at starwars forums and in general i like forums and i think im gona stay here and check it out further.

I was figuring about chopping as you said but didnt know it was possible but doeasnt a big gap come upa at the elbow then?

and the plane thing i was figuring something like that but dint know you could bend plane ;)

Anyway thx a lot and good luck with youre movie....

RubberChicken 11-10-2004 05:42 PM

Not chopping, splitting :) (you should check out the free vid tut on using the split poly tool here on this site) and thanks, the movie is comming along very well.

Echuu 11-10-2004 06:33 PM

It's odd i didnt find the tutorial but i did find some cool models and plugins.

could you post a link or something?

RubberChicken 11-10-2004 08:34 PM

here you go :)

Iced_Eagle 12-10-2004 03:19 AM

From the trailer here's my crits:

The walking has overshooting, easy to fix. Go in the graph editor and make it so it doesn't exterpolate (it has large humps after where you ended your animation, but it tries to smooth it out... that causes overshooting, so level the top and bottom out is the easiest)

The timing is too fast/slow at times... Are you recording at 30 FPS? 60 FPS? Once you figure that out, then you should be able to do some math and figure out how long you want each animation to be.

If you are basing this off Kill Bill this is what I would do. Take a TV, put it by the computer and watch it as if it was a reference video, except it will be hard with special effects like glass and blood flying everywhere to see character smoothly, but that will definetely help out.

Start with basics and work your way up. Don't start doing all these fight scenes, unless you have a really good walk/run animation... Work one thing at a time, improve and keep going. If you want to get the timing and flow, then just do really rough animation... if you've ever seen an animatic to get the timing, it's like block guys sliding across the room... Do that if you want the timing.

It looks great though :D Can't wait to see the finished product!

RubberChicken 12-10-2004 01:53 PM

Thanks for the helpful crits :) and dont worry the fight scenes have not been started yet so there is still time to improve.
This animation is not really based on Kill Bill, when I think kong-fu style film I think Kill Bill so thats where the idea for the name came from.
Thanks again.

Dragonhawk 30-10-2004 01:55 AM

nothing special

1 Attachment(s)
After a pause of the project i worked on one scene....and it seems that im a bad environment modeler lol....but though due to the convertion to jpeg it looses a few details....
why the hell are black areas there?i cant understand that....
my shader is (from highend3d and) a consisting of a ramp with 3 colours .NONE of em is black....plus i have enough lights to erase that black so i dont understand it....

well i wait for rubberchicken after he comes back from holidays...

Dragonhawk 01-11-2004 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
with the help of rubber chicken i could erase the black areas...

Dragonhawk 01-11-2004 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres an overview....maybe a bit too shiny??

RubberChicken 22-12-2004 07:34 PM

Hey all, you probably thought that this project was dead... erm.. ok it was for a little while but now me and dragonhawk are back on track and ready to kick ass!!! Expect updates to follow shortly!

13uRneR 22-12-2004 11:59 PM

one word... niceness!

RubberChicken 23-12-2004 06:02 PM

Thanks mate. :)
Been doing some animating the last couple of days and its going really well, not much more I can say really. ;)

anita 03-01-2005 10:49 AM

keep it going it very nice

Dragon3D 03-01-2005 02:44 PM

Wow this looks like it will be very cool man can't wait to see it!!!!

D.

deathwish 04-01-2005 03:15 PM

looks class m8 nice job - looks a bit like a paintball site though. :)

RubberChicken 04-01-2005 08:16 PM

Thanks for the comments everybody! I had to pause for the last week as I have AS exams on the 10th, 11th and 12th (under a week) and been spending most my time revising. But Dragonhawk has been working away so no worries.

V00D00 14-01-2005 05:56 PM

Alright... exams are over... I am starting to get withdrawals from not having enough stick man.

VD

RubberChicken 15-01-2005 09:00 AM

Be patient ;)

V00D00 28-01-2005 02:16 PM

STICK MAN! STICK MAN! STICK MAN!

Sorry for my rant... just wondering if your still alive out there chicken.

VD

Dragonhawk 28-01-2005 03:54 PM

well do u know a program that makes a movie out of images? i need that to go on.....plz for free as possible

13uRneR 28-01-2005 04:55 PM

VideoMach

, just say evaluate, after the time done, you can still use it, all for free!!! can take pics form many formats

RubberChicken 28-01-2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by V00D00
STICK MAN! STICK MAN! STICK MAN!

Sorry for my rant... just wondering if your still alive out there chicken.

VD

Still going l0l :D:cool:

Shortay 19-07-2005 06:11 AM

Bump:)

alienscience 20-07-2005 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RubberChicken
Still going l0l :D:cool:
Cool, havent seen much progress though. :(. Really looking forword to some more.

SuperTrooper 20-07-2005 11:13 PM

Why are we reviving threads from January???