Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Shiko WIP (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14236)

Kerosene 05-11-2004 05:46 AM

Shiko WIP

1 Attachment(s)
My little Elfin guy has been put to one side. My little bro has finally given me an image to work with. I've been nagging him for quite some time now. The only thing that got him going is kurt's character challenge!

Oh well, here it is.

Kerosene 05-11-2004 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and my progress so far... got assignments (non-maya) due in tomorrow so I best at the very least have a look at the paper. Chances are i'll be back working on this before long :)

Kurt 05-11-2004 06:22 AM

Good start so far...

Kerosene 05-11-2004 09:47 AM

and some more...

Kerosene 05-11-2004 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
always helps if i post the pic

Ninja-Padawan 05-11-2004 01:25 PM

Lookin gd bro

... but if ur modeling it to the proportions on my image , then the only thing i would say is that the torso is a bit stretched ... i drew it to about '6heads' tall , ur proportions look as if they are about "7heads"

:P

Kerosene 06-11-2004 12:51 AM

Well now its got a head to start counting head heights by... If u want it exactly the way u draw it then at least give me some front and side sketches...:rolleyes:

C&C please. built the whole model on a low poly count. 1600 at present with hands left to go. So I haven't quite got as many lines as i'd like to. mite post the unsmoothed version soon.

Kerosene 06-11-2004 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
don't know why it won't post the images...

Kerosene 06-11-2004 12:57 AM

and the low poly version

Billy_Cat 06-11-2004 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kerosene
and the low poly version
where?

Kerosene 06-11-2004 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This cud get really annoying... is it because all the file names are the same?

Kerosene 06-11-2004 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and now the hands are done, along with some tweaks to overall body shape and proportions. time for her clothes and gear

RubberChicken 06-11-2004 08:48 PM

Looking good, I really like the concept. One minor crit, the fingers should not be the same leanghs.

Kerosene 07-11-2004 01:39 AM

thanx chicken, looking at the fingers in my workspace they seem fine. rendered them from some different angles, look dodgy. going to have to look into this one :)

Kerosene 10-11-2004 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Right then, had a real play around with the model. Rigged it, found lots of modelling flaws. in particular an elusive 5 side that wudn't behave. found some more proportion problems.

So it was back to modelling again. hopefully i got it close enough now. any C&C?

contrast 10-11-2004 02:00 PM

Your speed amazes me, you really made that head fast as well. The only crit I can give is that the hands look a bit flat on top, but maybe that is all the detail that you need since you will be giving her those gloves. Excellent progress, I'll have to keep watching this.

Kerosene 11-11-2004 02:09 AM

Thanks contrast! Ur rite about the hands, they are a bit flat above. Although she will have the gloves I thought the more detail i build into her the better so i can always have options.

Things are going a little slow at present, my midterms are upon me so I have very little time, and all of that is going on rigging her up. Its the first time i've managed to complete a character. Nearly time for some test poses though. Then i'll accessorise....

NextDesign 11-11-2004 03:14 AM

Awsome mate. And like Contrast said your speed amazes me. How did you build the head so fast? Also I too agree that the hands look a bit boxy. okay, thread's bookmarked now. Nice work mate!

Kerosene 11-11-2004 04:38 AM

Not sure how many my other threads u guys have seen, but they've been very intensive head building lessons. I found the speediest technique to be start with a cube, proportioned roughly for ur head. one extrude downwards to give the jawline, one more to give urself the start of the neck. Then poly smooth it with just one sud division. gives a nice form to start from.

Then its just split poly and finding where those lines can run with minimum fuss.

I'll post a wire of the head when i get a chance, its not perfect. far too heavy around the nose for one.

And again thanks for the interest!

Kerosene 11-11-2004 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started modelling on the hair after having a little play with a skeleton chain. Wanted to know where i needed to work on things for a final pose.

So, polygon modelling for the hair. good or bad idea? Don't know the first thing in going about doing this so any advice wud be more than welcome :)

Kerosene 11-11-2004 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and a wire of the head... like i said earlier, a bit nose heavy.

MainlineX 12-11-2004 01:23 AM

Hey Kerosene, that is looking really nice....keep it up man..:)

Kerosene 12-11-2004 01:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mainline. Heres an update for the moment. Shud get back to studying for my midterm tomorrow... yet Maya beckons...

contrast 12-11-2004 01:23 PM

Ahhhh, nothing like a girl in a tight top, tall black boots, and no pants. ;)

But seriously, looking good, what process did you use on the shirt?

Kerosene 12-11-2004 03:59 PM

I've had a play around with several different methods. First was a play with cloth. I had too, it was tempting me. Then I had a look at building a polygon shirt from scratch. That just wound me up. Then I 'cut' the shirt out of shiko herself and just duplicated faces and played around with the vertices.

The one u see there is the cloth version. I thought I'd get it up and on here as soon as i was able... not sure what i'm going to stick with though... any ideas anyone?

RubberChicken 12-11-2004 07:04 PM

Very nice progress there, good work!

NextDesign 13-11-2004 01:40 AM

Boots look a little too blocky to me. But good job with everything else.

Kerosene 14-11-2004 05:42 AM

hhmmm... zbrush 2... goood.

Looking into the possibilities of doing a bit of cross package work here. is zbrush as good as it looks for texturing?

Kerosene 15-11-2004 10:00 AM

still no real progess... but midterms are finally over. Been playing about with different rig setups. quick question on that point.

With hand controls, if i set a driven key on the finger rotations then how can i fine tune the motion with individual rotations. Setting DK's makes the rotations uneditable, but certain finger movements still can't be achieved. The only idea i can come up with is too make two seperate driven keys, one for the first knuckle and one for the other two.

If i'm after finer control wud it be more sensible to leave it until the GUI phase?

Someone please help, its driving me nuts! :s

And is it possible to switch expressions on and off? like if i had an expression that averages the distance of the torso between the two feet, cud i then disable it for certain purposes?

Kerosene 19-11-2004 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I've finished me midterms and assignments and reworked the model (again). Beginning of the hair...

NextDesign 19-11-2004 03:29 AM

Looks really nice so far mate. Good job.

Kerosene 20-11-2004 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and a little more...

NextDesign 20-11-2004 02:54 AM

Nice.