Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Sept/Oct- Noob - THX1138 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18218)

THX1138 19-10-2005 02:33 AM

I might just add some colored rim lighting now that you mention it, but I wont experiment on that till I get the whole model finished, rigged, and textured in less than 2 weeks, heh. Right know I'm going to keep it black and white for the time being. Glad you like the lighting! :beer:

swankymonkey 19-10-2005 05:35 AM

Working in black and white is an awesome way to begin a piece. Simplifying by working in monochrome or b&w forces you to concentrate purely on value and work built on such a foundation is usually much more dynamic and exciting. I'm refering more to working in 2d but I believe the theory still applies.

THX1138 19-10-2005 06:55 AM

Yes, I agree that working in black and white should be the foundation of any 2D piece. I have seen it many times in alot of really great digital paintings. Black and white for a 3D piece is a bit harder. Lighting is the key to 3D in my opinion. I'm hoping the color textures wont take away but emphasize the monochrome effect. In doing that I'm not going to make the textures very bright. They will be on the grungy side. Dark is the key to this model, but just enought light to catch the color and detail. :beer:

THX1138 20-10-2005 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Here is a color render of the head. Probably the last "render" I will post till final concept. Will post WIP's of the body soon.

t1ck135 20-10-2005 07:32 AM

looking cool, definately a good lighting angle :)
Is the head still in two pieces? Just wondering as the light on the top looks a little wierd how it catches.

THX1138 20-10-2005 07:43 AM

Yeah, it's still in 2 pieces. Wont merge the 2 together till I'm ready to rig. Still have some tweaking to do on the light and textures, but just a little bit. Im really focused on the body at this point. The deadline is approaching.

Thanks for the reply, glad you like the progress! :beer:

clericuzzi 26-10-2005 10:53 AM

good lookin model man, keep it up :beer:
cant wait to see the body with it!!!

THX1138 26-10-2005 08:51 PM

Thanks clericuzzi. It should be finished by this weekend. I'm going to cut the body down a bit because model would be too small to see in it's entirety, especially the detail. So I'm going to make it into a bust. Just like the concept sketch I posted. Will post wips of the wire tonight.

Thanks for the reply!:beer:

THX1138 26-10-2005 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Here is an old wip of the body without the horns along it's back. Trying to get to a stopping point on the current WIP.

THX1138 27-10-2005 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Here is the body cut down a bit. Added it's horns ( still in rough stage ) and bulked out the body a little. They will be resized when the model is complete. Got some underbody work to do aswell.

t1ck135 27-10-2005 07:11 AM

looking good, hope you get it finished in time :)

THX1138 29-10-2005 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Model is almost complete. Finished the horns ( still tweaking them a bit though) ) and under belly. I also tweaked the brows and mouth a bit. Final texturinmg is next. Should have this project finished by sunday.

A shot of the top.

THX1138 29-10-2005 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A shot of the bottom.

THX1138 30-10-2005 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Body finished. texturing is taking me a little more time than I thought. Should be finished by monday.

Some shots of the complete model.

THX1138 30-10-2005 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one.

t1ck135 30-10-2005 08:44 PM

the side of the head around row two of the spikes is looking a bit wide at the moment (to me)

nice underside though and the added detail is looking good :)

THX1138 31-10-2005 06:09 AM

Yeah those set of horns are a bit wide, I forgot to tweak those two. I will scale them down a little to match the others better. Been trying to get the model compete so I can throw the textures on it, and finish by the deadline. Was rigging it yesterday and it looks like I need to add a little more length to the body.

Thanks for all the comments, your probably the only one that likes the model. I got tons of views but hardly any comments which leaves me to believe the model is a piece of crap. I'm glad I didn't enter as a normal , I would have gotten last place, heh.

jramauri 31-10-2005 11:17 AM

...your probably the only one that likes the model. I got tons of views but hardly any comments which leaves me to believe the model is a piece of crap. I'm glad I didn't enter as a normal , I would have gotten last place, heh.

Not really. There's nothing wrong with your model, it looks very good. The problem is that you posted so few updates people haven't coments to do about! I viewed your thread for many times, and honestly, I was thinking you have gave up, because it was always the same picture there. But for your comments in my thread and others thread, you look a very competent and critic person. So don't understimate yourself buddy. But for the next challenge try to post more pictures, and maybe do like I did: ask for crits, ask for comments. I did this many times, and because that, because of your comments, and the comments of many other good guys, my model becomes good as she looking now(If you don't remember my first efforts in her were desastrous). But I'm keeping my fingers croosed for you, and hope sincerely you finish your model in time, and get excellent results. Keep it up!:beer:

THX1138 31-10-2005 03:22 PM

Thanks for the reply jramauri, Means alot!

Most of my time spent on the model was done researching snake anatomy on the mouth. Could not find much of decent size to work from. About the comments, it doesn't really bother me if I don't get any, I don't really take it all that personal. I have a small habbit of helping others more than asking help for my self. As far as daily progress of the model is concerned, I have only a couple of days out of the week I can actually work on the model. Thats why the updates were few and far between. I usually updated on tuesdays and wednesdays.

Anyway, thanks for the kind comments, your the second person that actually likes the model, heh. I should have done something else besides a snake.

THX1138 31-10-2005 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Here is a wire of the final model with it's pose. Finishing up on the textures and final render comming this afternoon.

jramauri 31-10-2005 07:51 PM

What are your model made of? Subds or polys?

t1ck135 31-10-2005 08:03 PM

nice pose, it definately shows your model off well :)

good luck with the textures and looking forward to seeing it up!

Joopson 01-11-2005 02:19 AM

looks like polys

THX1138 01-11-2005 05:36 AM

Final entry is up! The model is made of poly's. Hope it's not too dark for you all to see. If it is, brighten up your monitor a little. My monitor is set on graphics ( bright mode) for all my model work. This message board could use a darker themed background by the way.

Stormgetto 01-11-2005 06:06 AM

really nice!
I belive you have a great chance to win this one.

but the image looks littler dark even with my bright set it to up.

Anyway its looks great.

THX1138 01-11-2005 07:47 AM

Updated the final pic. It's a bit brighter now, you should be able to see it better. :)

jramauri 01-11-2005 10:43 AM

Wow, very good entry! With textures and lighting, it became really great. My only complain is that you should have done the entire model, not only a peace. If it was entire you would gain a lot in dramaticity. I didn't play Lifeforce during all my life, and I don't know what this snake do in the game. But if it attack the ship, you could have done a liitle ship and put it in front of the snake. So we could realize the real size of snake (of course I'm just imagining this, as I said, I don't know anything about the game). Many congrats for your results, I hope you win, old man.:beer:

THX1138 01-11-2005 11:26 AM

Thanks for the comment jramauri, that means alot to me!

I would have done the whole snake if I had the time, and if I was allowed to post at high resolution. I only had a few days out of the week between work to actually spend time on the model, and most of that was spent searching for refferences. I started to do the full body. I even had a WIP so show it, but time started to run out and I had to decide on something. That decision could very well cost me the challenge, but if I don't win, it doesn't bother me, It's the experience I gain that counts the most.

I enjoyed being part of this simply maya challenge, and if must say, I think I made a good impression as an old nooby.;)