Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nov/Dec - Norm - t1ckL35 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18976)

t1ck135 21-12-2005 09:56 PM

Thanks for the final gather tip THX1138, once I turned it on I got the texture fine :)
It does take a bit longer than just upping the ambience to render though ;)

Heres a (very) quick dirty render as I've been trying to get some of the UV maps done and get some of the texturing out of the way. Still working on the neck hence it being grey.

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/cello/cello15a.jpg

THX1138 21-12-2005 11:22 PM

Ok, firstly, thats a good first render.:) Now, for your next render, up your Anti-alaising levels. Tick on your quality presets tab and scrool down to preview Final Gather and select it. That option will give you a default setting for final gather renders.

I'm writing this under the assumption that you don't know much about final gather. If you do kindly dissreguard this reply.

mayafreak3 22-12-2005 02:50 AM

Ok.. this is looking sweet. :beer:

3 things.. I know its in prog.. so u prolly already know this stuff and can tell me to stfu if u like. I just thought I'd give you some feedback.. as your feedback on my project has helped me out greatly ;)

1st:
Nice render.. and nice UV mapping. I like the texture on the wood.. it might be a bit brighter than the original picture is the only thing I can see.

2nd:
The reflection on the wood might be a bit too much.. but it depends.. the shadows look nice.. and nice shadow detail.

3rd:
I agree with thx1138 about the aliasing, which could be easily fixed by upping the quality/samples settings and I would choose the gaussian setting as it is the best(might already be set on this).

All in all.. it looks great :attn:
I'd like to see a high rez render of it...

peace out

mayafreak3

t1ck135 22-12-2005 09:24 AM

THX1138 - Good assumption :) I have no idea about final gather type stuff. The only thing I did after enabling it was to lower the (photons?) or something so it rendered faster. I was going to up it again when I've got the textures out of the way. Thanks for the pointers, they are much appreciated and I'll give them a try tonight :)

mayafreak3 - not at all, criticise away and the more the better :) I'm still a total noob when it comes to rendering (and more or less to texturing!) so help is greatly appreciated!
1 - Yeah the wood texture has come out a little bright, think I'll darken it in photoshop and see how it comes out.
2 - Good point on the wood. I've been playing with the reflection this morning (when I should have been uving) to drop it a little. It is quite reflective in certain light but not as much as on the render.
3 - Willdo :) any pointers on getting better renders will be helpful

Thanks guys, you're making what seems a (very) complicated area a lot easier to understand :beer:

t1ck135 22-12-2005 04:55 PM

I've played with some of the settings and tweaked it as suggested by mayafreak3 and THX1138 (cheers guys!) and here is another quickie render:

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/cello/cello16a.jpg

muteking1 22-12-2005 05:47 PM

very good!!!!
i like it. i think that it is the right way
:beer: :beer:

mayafreak3 22-12-2005 06:58 PM

Wow man that looks awesome! :beer:

The wood looks perfect.. and the jaggies are gone

Well done!

t1ck135 22-12-2005 07:59 PM

thanks muteking1 and dave :beer:

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the neck fully laid out and start applying its texture :)

Just for reference I've gone back to my old posts and changed the path to the pictures (so people can see them). This is because for some reason I changed the image path when I set my new website up (d'uh). Thats just in case people wonder why they have an edited message at the bottom.

BMS 22-12-2005 09:05 PM

You know every time I've looked at this tread I couldn't see any of the pics, but today they seem to be working for me this time. So I've gone from seeing very little to this last render of yours . . . . man it looks awesome. The wood look GREAT well done! :beer:

magicsy 22-12-2005 09:38 PM

yeah great stuff the wood does look real :D maybe a little darker
i think, its kinda like Mayafreaks his darker version with less colour was better too.
Hope this helps :D

THX1138 23-12-2005 12:09 AM

Looking great tick135 !! THX1138 poses hand like a martal arts master and says "soon you will be ready".

t1ck135 23-12-2005 10:38 PM

Cheers BMS :) I changed my host and yesterday added all the images back up (that the previous posts were pointing to) it looks like its done the trick

Thanks magicsy :) I agree it could do with the darkness playing with a bit. I'll post an outdoor shot of the cello up soon to show that it is really quite light and the original photos I took seemed to darken the wood.

lol THX1138, the paduin doesnt feel ready for the trials just yet though ;)

Just uv mapped the head/neck and have started on some texturing:

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/cello/cello17a.jpg

t1ck135 24-12-2005 09:24 PM

Finished the texturing this morning. Here's a couple of renders with all the bits in (ignore the stretching in the first). Basically all that is left is to play with is the shaders, find a good angle and render some large versions.
A lack of time over the holidays might mean that a variant of this will be the final entry though. Not quite photorealistic but I'm well happy with the outcome :)

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/cello/cello18b.jpg
http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/cello/cello18d.jpg

swankymonkey 25-12-2005 08:17 AM

Truly beautiful, dude!

THX1138 25-12-2005 03:30 PM

I'm very pleased with the outcome.:beer:

mayafreak3 28-12-2005 05:36 PM

Nice renders!

t1ck135 28-12-2005 09:59 PM

thanks dave, THX1138 and mayafreak3 :)
much appreciated :beer:

no progress and probably none to report unless I can get a quick few hours in before the new year. Hope everyone is having a great holiday and are looking forward to a very merry new year!

speak to you all soon :)
Si

MattTheMan 29-12-2005 12:05 AM

Awesome! And happy new year too!

magicsy 31-12-2005 04:46 PM

yo just seen ure final entry n i swear i had to look twice to see if it was real. truly outstanding.:beer:

cris007 31-12-2005 06:55 PM

Indeed. I just checked your final entry too and it is amazing. The composite shot is outstanding. It integrates almost perfectly. Congratulations :beer:

t1ck135 31-12-2005 09:30 PM

thanks guys and a BIG thanks to everyone who helped with comments & criticism over the competition period, it was greatly needed and received! :)
here's hoping we all do well and more importantly have learned loads of new things in the process

Now where are those new year beers? :beer:

jsprogg 31-12-2005 10:56 PM

This is such a cool model ..well done tick on a superb job.
Goodluck mate with your entry..oh and Happy New Year :)

BMS 01-01-2006 12:07 AM

Just checked out your final entry. Great stuff, love the render, well done man :beer:

THX1138 02-01-2006 06:34 PM

I believe this is the most outstanding work I have seen for the competition. The composite piece you did was jaw dropping. My projector pails in comparison. Man, I really hope you win this! THX1138 raises hand in martal arts pose again ( David Carradine impression ); " My son, you are ready".

t1ck135 05-01-2006 06:20 PM

Just seen this - thanks THX1138, it was down to your help that the render came out well :)
The composite was a 15minute quicky, simply clone-tooled out the original, resized the render, added a semi-transparent grey/blueish layer over the render and smoothed a couple of edges. The render actually missed the top of the cello hence the cropped composite ;)

Hope you're in for the new challenge!

THX1138 06-01-2006 01:31 AM

I might enter the Jan/Feb challenge as it' only deals with the head and not a whole body. I'm looking up tutorials on Maya fur righ know. I have a subject allready picked out to model, but I need a good understanding of Maya fur before I go any further.

t1ck135 06-01-2006 09:29 AM

yeah I know what you mean, think I'll be learning paintFX for this one as I dont have fur (quite literally ;) )