Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Yamaha Roadstar (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19065)

dilberts 13-11-2005 05:11 PM

Yamaha Roadstar

1 Attachment(s)
Trying something new, a Yamaha motorbike. This is going to be a long project as I only have reference pics to work from, but I want it to be really detailed. Here's what I got so far.

Visitor 13-11-2005 05:19 PM

promising start dilberts

if you get the details right i'm sure it will be worth the long time it's going to take

don't know your level of usage but little advice if your fairly new {{just my own opinion }}} to help your workflow make sure you use layers for each section of you project and when you come to shaders use Bins to keep your shaders in manageable batches in hypershade it can all get very confuseing and muddled

look forward to seeing this progress

:bandit:

MattTheMan 13-11-2005 05:23 PM

Dilberts, sup? What happened to that AMAZING Porche you were making? Anyway, nice start! :beer:

gster123 13-11-2005 07:13 PM

Nide start Dilberts, looks like a nice start on the front end!

Did you use the car for anything or just drooling over?

P.S When you gonna post some of those awesome clay renders?

dilberts 13-11-2005 07:27 PM

The Porsche is still lurking around (It's on my avatar now). I took a break cause I had been working on it for months and was tired of the same model. I had an animation in mind for it, but it would be a huge rendering job, so for now I'm going to have some fun modeling this bike.

Visitor is right about the layer manager. I use this big time with all my models. Once your scene starts to get complicated, tumbling in the scene window is like moving in slow motion. Turning off some of the complicated layers while you work on a single object can really speed up the user interface.

Jay 13-11-2005 08:50 PM

Dilberts

Looks cool so far, love motorbikes so I'll be watching this thread.

Matt: Nice Llama dude!!

Jay

MattTheMan 13-11-2005 09:21 PM

Thx, Jay :beer:

dilberts 14-11-2005 03:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update. It may not look like much of an update, but there's a ton of fillets between all the surfaces so that they look real up close. So far it's all NURBS apart from the axle (which I forgot to smooth in this render).

dilberts 15-11-2005 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did some work on the handle bars. All NURBS so far.

utpal 15-11-2005 08:23 PM

well, needless to say, you are pretty good at automobile modeling...
:beer:

but, rather than chosing popular automobiles, how about doing something more exotic? like an ariel atom, or confederate hellcat??
have you seen a hellcat? man, such a bike....

dilberts 15-11-2005 11:19 PM

The models I pick are really based on the quantity and quality of reference pics that I can get my hands on. Therefore, usually that limits me to the more popular vehicles. I'd have to say that I am more of a technician/engineer than an artist, but I'd love to work with a 2D concept artist in the future in a product visualization capacity.

cung 16-11-2005 12:19 AM

mode looks really good. looking forward to the final product.

utpal 16-11-2005 04:52 PM

product visualization.... hmm that would be a dream job, wouldn't it? imagine working on making the models of new prototypes....:nod:

Quote:

Originally posted by dilberts
I'd have to say that I am more of a technician/engineer than an artist....
ditto. though, i am not much of an engineer either (didn't finish my diploma:p )
i tried to model a motorcycle way back when i started to learn maya... but, it just had mostly cubes, and spheres and cylinders....

MainlineX 17-11-2005 03:36 AM

Heya :)

Great start thus far. Will keep an eye on this thread:) Keep it up:)

Mills

dilberts 18-11-2005 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Updates.

dilberts 18-11-2005 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more

FubaR 18-11-2005 05:28 PM

Hey. Very nice !
Looks like a damn clean mesh. Could we see a wireframe?

webbcreativearts 18-11-2005 05:45 PM

I am simply inspired by your work Dilbert!! great job:beer: :beer:

dilberts 18-11-2005 11:58 PM

Fubar, I'll post a wire sometime, but it's not a poly surface, so there's no mesh. Just lots of trimmed surfaces with fillets everywhere.

FubaR 19-11-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Fubar, I'll post a wire sometime, but it's not a poly surface, so there's no mesh. Just lots of trimmed surfaces with fillets everywhere.
ok.

Visitor 20-11-2005 06:26 PM

looking clean there dilberts

will you be keeping it all nurbs or converting later ??

dilberts 20-11-2005 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's where I'm at with the engine. This engine is turning out to be the hardest modeling I've ever tried. The heatsink was a nightmare to model, and there's still a ton of nuts and sticky out bits to model.

This model will stay NURBS. There's no point in converting to polys or subD's as NURBS are easier to deal with at render time. Laying out the UV's for a poly model this size would be a horrendous task.

dilberts 22-11-2005 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more renders. I added a few more details to the engine, and set up the render environment. Unfortunately I can't render the whole bike with an IBL set up as my system can't handle it, so I just did it with the engine close up. I'm not even half done and the scene is already too big. :headbang:

dilberts 22-11-2005 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
engine

DJbLAZER 22-11-2005 02:09 PM

If you convert it to polys before you render, your computer might handle it, takes a lot less RAM.

dilberts 22-11-2005 05:09 PM

Unfortunately, that's not an option. 99% of the surfaces are NURBS trims that don't convert well to polys. And even if they did, merging all the vertices for a clean continuous surface would take at least 2 lifetimes :eek: I'm gonna do some optimization once the modeling is complete, and should be able to squeak out some nice renders.

clopper 22-11-2005 05:15 PM

lovely work dilberts. is there any way you can give some good clear instruction about how you do your rende, looks really good.
I am aware that there have been previous topics like this but I find that they are always a little confusing. Your advice would be great on how you render and set up the scene.

dilberts 22-11-2005 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure clopper, here it is.

For the close up engine render above I had the following set up:

First, surround the entire model with a NURBS sphere, with the bottom quarter of the sphere deleted and replaced with a nurbs plane that is edge/global stitched to the sphere. This gives you a nice surrounding environment with a flat plane in the middle to set your object on. Make it considerably larger than your entire model. Make sure that in the render stats section for this environment, that cast shadows, and visible in reflections/refractions is turned off.

Next, assign a regular lambert to the environment, and also to your model. Make both a pure white color.

Finally, go to Render Globals and turn off "use default lights", turn mental ray settings to production quality, and Final gather rays to whatever your system can handle (the above render was 100 rays). Now here's the important part. Go to "image based lighting" in the mental ray section and hit create, which will bring up a window in the attribute editor. Hit the file icon and attach an HDR image of your choice. I used a beach scene with a yellow sunset and brown rocks for the above render which gives it the yellow tint. Doing this gives the clay render a subtle variance in color from the final gather bleed. Experimenting with different HDRI's can completely change the feel of your scene.

Render, and hope your system doesn't crash :headbang:

Here's my Porsche model rendered in the same way.

For the full bike shot I tried to fake this with a 3 light setup. It's not as good, but if you spend time messing with the position and intensities you can get close and render in a fraction of the time. Change the color of each light to try to fake the final gather bleed effect in the higher quality render.

Hope this helps.

Supra Devil 23-11-2005 01:05 PM

WoW can i have tht car !! :eek:

clopper 23-11-2005 03:59 PM

let me just clarify soemthing dilbert. I dont quite follow what you mean with deleting the nurbs dome and stitching. Do you mean literally delete the bottom faces of the dome and then putting a flat surface in there place so the car can sit on it?
I really want to get the clay render sorted as I love it how it appears as if there are no edges around the scene of walls etc.

PS, here is my first car that I want to clayify!

[IMG]http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/8800/best49yv.jpg[/IMG]

Any help on dirt shader in photoshop and how to draw them would be appreciated too, but my main priority is the clay render

Turbo Dan 23-11-2005 05:36 PM

thats why i stick to polys, it may not look as clean but its a lot more forgiving if you need to fix something up or convert to say sub-d

dilberts 23-11-2005 11:55 PM

clopper, create a nurbs sphere with 4 vertical sections. Select the first isoparm up from the bottom of the sphere and detach at that isoparm. Delete the bottom quarter. You should now have an upside down bowl. Create a nurbs square plane and scale/move until the corners of the plane are just about touching the edges of the open part of the bowl. Now go back to the sphere and once again detach it into 4 surfaces by selecting the isoparm that sits right next to each of the corners of the plane. Now, for each side of the nurbs plane, there is a corresponding part of the sphere detached and ready to be stiched. (Match up the parameterization of the surfaces i.e. if your plane is 4x4 in U and V, make sure that the corresponding part of the sphere has a parameterization of four.) Then edge stitch each piece of the sphere to it's corresponding part of the plane., and end with a global stitch if you like. I usually squish my sphere down a little in the Y direction right at the beginning, so it starts out more like a squished ball. Personal preference though.

dilberts 24-11-2005 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on the other side of the engine.

clopper 24-11-2005 03:51 PM

pure magic, sorry to keep pestering you, but when you stich the nurbs plane can this be done with polys via combine etc as i have never worked with nurbs?
To sticth is just a matter of selecting the isoparms and then combining?

dilberts 24-11-2005 05:53 PM

Sure, you could do it that way. It might sound like a complicated process with NURBS, but once you have the tools down it's actually a lot quicker. I'm so used to making that NURBS environment sphere now that it only takes about 45 seconds.

The stitch tools are very useful but can be a little tricky. With the stitch edge tool you have to be aware of which isoparm you pick first because of the way the tool is set up with the bias (the bias can be adjusted), and also the tangency button in the options can cause problems if you don't know which surface you want to be tangent to what. Best thing to do is play around with some simple spheres/cylinders, stitching and detaching surfaces until you get a feel for what the options within the tool are doing.

Visitor 24-11-2005 07:02 PM

comeing along nicely dilberts watching with lots of interest here ;)

i tried your setup for the clay render and i must have have messed up somewere............... using a lambert on the nurbs setup and my rod mesh it just renderd black yet changeing the shaders to blinn it rendered but was glossy any idea why the lambers doesn't render ??

dilberts 24-11-2005 09:10 PM

Make sure your environment sphere has "cast shadows" off in the render stats, it could be shadowing your whole model. Also make sure the sphere has "double sided" checked in the render stats. Other than that, it's hard to troubleshoot without seeing your actual set up.

Visitor 24-11-2005 09:16 PM

thanks dilberts i see my messup right off in your reply
Quote:

sphere has "double sided" checked
i have this habit of turning everything to single sided :headbang: :headbang:

will retry it now i know to leave bouble sided :beer: :beer:

dilberts 25-11-2005 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Updates on the engine. Starting to work on the details now.

dilberts 26-11-2005 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a break from modeling for a few minutes to mess with some shaders. This was a render of a quick paint and chrome test. It's just a rush job so that I could test how my system is going to handle reflections. Suffice to say there's going to be no final gather on this project, my system crashes every time I try to render the whole bike :angery: However, I think once I mess around with the lights and reflection source, I'll be able to squeeze out a nice final render with a regular mental ray render with simple lights.