Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   New Character (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19546)

Jay 21-12-2005 09:17 PM

New Character

Hey Guys n Gals

I wasnt goin to post this until it was further along but in the end I thought sod it!!

Cheers
Jay

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3707/head014rk.jpg

Nusirilo 21-12-2005 09:51 PM

Hey man, nice looking model. Mind posting a wireframe for my perusal? :)

Also, I was wondering, when it comes down to it, how do you fix the crease in the middle of the face (without going to subds if possible). I only ask because I need to know for a model that I'm having trouble with, and I figure that you would know.

Anyways, good work.

GioChrono 21-12-2005 09:56 PM

Hey,

Judging by the nostrils, is this character a coke addict! just kidding.

Cool, keep it coming

Gio

Jay 21-12-2005 10:01 PM

Nusirilo

Thanks man,

Heres the wire, still lots to do as you can see.

As far as gettting rid of the crease goes, thats basically down to your own skill and patience at the end of the day. SubDs alone will not make the crease disappear as its another surface type like poly or nurb, the 'fault' if you will lies in the model not the surface itself. I would suggest pulling edges and verts and some use of the artisan tool using smooth option as well

Cheers
Jay

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1405/wire1yb.jpg

Jay 21-12-2005 10:02 PM

Hey G

LOL, yeaaaahh maaan

Jay:eek:

mc-fleury 21-12-2005 11:10 PM

hehe jay looking good so far.what are you going to model.

Jay 22-12-2005 08:37 AM

dude

Im remodelling the girl from my graphic novel as its just wrong!

I've revamped the design slightly, also Ive become a bit more savvy with anatomy so things will look better in those areas to (I hope)

Cheers
Jay

Jay 22-12-2005 09:01 PM

Hey Guys

Been tweaking the eyes and the shape of the head slightly, back to texturing my other dude now

Jay

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6276/head028ra.jpg

mc-fleury 22-12-2005 09:31 PM

EDIT: NEVERMIND

mc-fleury 22-12-2005 09:32 PM

looks prrety good!!nice texture on the eye,cant wait to see it rendered.lips are very well done, and the eyes area looks sweet too.now yo just have to keep up the great work.

jornkes 23-12-2005 06:20 AM

she looks a lil like my sister ! specially the chin.. cool..

I like, are you going to animate it ??

Jay 23-12-2005 07:55 AM

Thanks guys

No it wont be animated, but it will be rigged for posing etc.

Cheers
Jay

Kartzan 23-12-2005 08:42 PM

Looks pretty good, although the eye seems a little weird to me. Maybe its the contrast between the white and the pink towards the side, maybe try blending and creating a smoother transition.

Jay 23-12-2005 09:28 PM

Its not a final eye, just a place holder, so I can adjust accordingly

Cheers
Jay

Falott 23-12-2005 10:40 PM

hi Jay!
very good start! I hope you don´t mind if I give you some - no crits but suggestions, cause I know you´re capable of much more than I am with maya. but I know - you can do it better. right now it looks like some freehand drawn picture, which is ok, but only if you used reference before:)

the chin compared to the lips appears to be a bit too small. or the lips seem too big I guess compared to the nose, lips themself look very nice - exept the corner of the mouth which could use some more definition. the part above the eye seems to press down onto the eye - I mean there is no delimitation of upper and lower area. and the root of the nostril, where nose connects to cheek/zygoma I sense some lack of definition - it simply has a too round outline.

I like the eyelids the most - they are awesome modeled + tip of the nose is very sexy! hope I didn´t offend you.

kind regards
daniel

Jay 23-12-2005 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Fallott

No Im not offended at all. Its a work in progress thread so everyone will have their opinions.

I have reference as always, so no worries there. The mouth and nose arent finished.

The 'root' of the nostril area is one Ive been studying for a while and it becomes more defined the older a woman gets, and I would like to leave this one in her early twenties so not to many lines etc.

The lower brow above the eye is alot different on a female compared to a male. The male brow is heavy and deeper but on a female its alot smoother resulting in a more compressed area between the brow and eyelids, this is one area of the face where you can distinguish the difference between the 2 sexes. I still have alot to do on this so it will look right eventually.

I have attached a pic of female eyes, notice how smooth and compressed they are. I will be going for something like this.

Cheers
Jay

Falott 23-12-2005 11:29 PM

if this pic was CG, I´d say her nose doesn´t look realistic cause it´s too small like after surgery... you know what I want to say?

"Schöheit liegt im Auge des Betrachters."

cheers my friend. you do allright!

vladimirjp 23-12-2005 11:35 PM

Quote:

cheers my friend. you do allright!
yea, J's not too shabby

:p

Falott 24-12-2005 09:04 AM

lol

Jay 24-12-2005 10:20 AM

Thanks Guys

Jay 06-01-2006 11:25 PM

Well back to this one at last, taking a break from texturing for a couple of days to concentrate on this model, been tweaking the mesh around the eyes, inner front of the nose and the jaw.

Enjoy

Jay

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8169/head031wz.jpg

Falott 07-01-2006 01:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
what I struggled myself with some days ago is the coke nose thing. I discovered that if the septum near the tip of the nose is broadened it gives this extra natural appearence. cause where you scale out the CVs to the side they allready lie on top of the septums root (CVs), seen from the frontview. in case you don´t know what I mean (cause most often I don´t understand my own english) I drop a pic here. sure it´s still not perfect, infact I think proportions now look even worse than before those little adjustments, but this coke nose prob vanished more or less..

Jay 07-01-2006 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Falott

Dont worry I know what you mean. Its a difficult one to derive this as your nose is a little different to mine, yours is more of a Roman shaped, very strong and narrow. I havent adjusted the front area (tip), just the inner front thats visible above the lips (circled) Ive got a ton of reference on that area and the differences are amazing.

I have feeling as well that age differences play a big part again in that area, as the older you get the more 'Droopy' things like ears and noses become. Ive studied my wifes nostril and its generally a traditional kidney shaped hole, but looking at my daughters they are more a smoother oval in fact they are almost circular.

I do agree that the front of the nose near the tip tapers in more which is something that Im aware of and will get taken care of in due course. Thanks for your input Daniel once again, much appreciated. I'll post some more angles later

Jay

jhaydock 07-01-2006 01:28 PM

Looking great so far Jay, and love those prominent lips just right for her look i'd say

This is a remodel of the woman in the comic, I think you're on the right track this time, shes not as stern looking, a more gentil facial posture... like it alot,

Cheers,

Jamie.

Jay 07-01-2006 05:15 PM

Hey Jamie

Thanks. Yeah she is a remodel of the girl, Im redoing the whole model. My 'level' of work has gone up a bit since I did the last one, and recently Ive been looking at it and well, its not what I want and anatomy wise the ears are wrong and the lips are too sharp for starters. The basic design is still there with the 'skirt' hanging from the hips etc. Also I want her to be a little softer looking and have a younger hair style as the one now is okay but looks a little older than I need, but never the less she'll still have a look that says she could kick your ass at any time.

People will think what a waste of time but..the old model will get used as I need another female character, in fact it will be the girls mother so I'll tweak that a bit, so then theres nothing gone to waste. I'll be sorting my site out too so it wont have the old models on there very soon (ones being revamped). I'm just really wanting to push my own artistic abilities again this year and level up again.

Will post some updates later

Cheers
Jay

Nusirilo 07-01-2006 06:43 PM

I am so glad I looked at this thread again. I am currently finishing off my face model for a Star Wars mod I'm working on, and I thought there was something wrong with the nose, but couldn't figure out what. After looking at the nose on your girl, however, I was able to figure out the problem and fix the nose. Now it looks great (although still probably not as good as yours :) ).

Keep up the great work.

Jay 07-01-2006 06:45 PM

Hey Nusirilo

Make a thread and post your model up. Im always intrigued when people make Star Wars models. Glad this was of help for you

Cheers
Jay

Jay 07-01-2006 09:46 PM

Hey Everyone

Started on the neck, last post for today cos Samuel L Jackson movie is on!! Maximum respect!!

Later
Jay

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8405/head048lp.jpg

Joopson 07-01-2006 10:06 PM

wow!, not that i am one to crit on your work, lol, but the nose goes from thick to a little to thin, i think
-andy

MattTheMan 08-01-2006 12:12 AM

Very sorry to say this Jay, but... that is a man I see... not a woman. Probably cuz of the wide cheekbones and wide chin.
but the modeling is EXCELLENT. Well... I guess its average for you... but to me... :eek:

Nusirilo 08-01-2006 12:16 AM

Yea, the cheek bones could probably be reduced in size a little, but I can definitely tell it's a girl, probably because of the eyes.

Angalid 08-01-2006 01:05 AM

just wanna say that it looks great :beer:

DJbLAZER 08-01-2006 07:07 AM

very nice model, but as the others said, you could decrease the cheekbones a bit. But it's definately not a must, there is plenty of women but such cheekbones. And she absolutely looks like a girl.

Jay 08-01-2006 11:02 AM

Hey Guys

Thank god some decent crit!!

Quote:

but the nose goes from thick to a little to thin, i think
Joopson: Dude, I dont get what you mean.

MattTheMan, Nusirilo , DJBlazer: The cheeks look fine, Do you guys mean the lower rear jaw bone? As thats what Im seeing. It looks a little square so I'll round it out a little.

Matt: A man!! :eek: :eek:

Cheers for now
Jay

t1ck135 08-01-2006 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to partially agree with matt, the front view of the head seems quite androgynous at the moment.

I think the jaw is too square, the bottom lip is a little too angular (needs to be slightly more rounded off), the top of the head has too many angles (I know it'll probably be covered with hair but it accentuates the other angles more at the moment) and maybe the top eyelid is a little too close/sharp with the eyebrow.
I've roughed up a little sketch over the previous image to show you what I mean (if you dont mind that is). Layer it over your previous image to see easier what the bits I've played with.
These are only suggestions though as I'm no expert ;)

Jay 08-01-2006 03:08 PM

Tick

Of course I dont mind, I wouldnt be here for crit otherwise;)
What you've sketched are exactly the areas Im looking at, thanks for your input. The top of the head was in need of tidying so I wasnt overally worried, it was more of an after thought even though I tend to go round the whole model tidying as I go.

So your no expert, yet you know what to look for, which is fine by me. Ive been looking at this for a ewhile so a bit of fresh air is just the ticket!!

I tell you what though, creating guys and creature heads are a lot easier than female characters. Its partly the reason why Im redoing this character, to get some practice on the female form more as well

Cheers
Jay

vladimirjp 08-01-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay

get some practice on the female form more as well

Cheers
Jay

yea. we all could use a little female form practice . it makes us see things in an entirely different perspective. ;)

Jay 08-01-2006 03:58 PM

Hey Vlad

But of Course!! I knew what you meant!!;)

Cheers Dude, hope ya good

Jay

Jay 08-01-2006 09:45 PM

Update-a-diddly-doo!!

You know the drill...

Cheers
Jay

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1023/head051np.jpg

DJbLAZER 09-01-2006 01:18 AM

Looks better... can't find anything really to criticize.

Oh yeah, she has no ears ;)