Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   2D Art Concept/Show Your Stuff (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21011)

THX1138 02-01-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullet1968
THX bahahahha from memory....I meant my memory lol.

LoL, was just messin with ya. Anyway's, the ability to import the physical model into photoshop is a geat idea. Too bad that it's difficult to do. Puts maya paint to shame.

stwert 02-01-2012 08:09 PM

I tried painting a 3D model in photoshop and it was bad... really awkward navigation, which should be top priority when painting directly on the surface. Could have been that I wasn't used to it, but it didn't feel right.

daverave 02-01-2012 09:14 PM

You need to be in the 3D part of photoshop and it need to be in a format that photoshop can understand obj or fbx, better still get mudbox or zbrush............dave

SilverFeather 22-01-2012 12:30 AM

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ss-d4n6dhx.png
Made the female version of the Zriganz alien species. Inspired by sharks and beta fish. A bit too dark but then again so are betas.

bullet1968 22-01-2012 12:49 AM

bahahaha THX I know you were joshin mate LOL.

As dave said and I think I posted...you need to export the mesh as an obj or similar.

quote [You can import OBJ, U3D, KMZ, DAE, and 3DS formats straight into CS3 and above. Again they are not too good as yet...I dont have CS5, that may have improved heaps.]

As I pointed out )no dave you are right, painful in PS)..it is very difficult to paint the 3D in PS. As dave has found out the nav tools suck...and my laptop wouldnt process so when I spun it around..it locked up. Yes THX if it was more intuitive and easier toolset it would be fantastic...especially for things like seams etc which ALWAYS appear. I believe the UV mapping in Maya is not good for joining things like lines across a fuselage or similar. UV a cube for me...then produce 3 lines on the UV one on each sector in PS and get them to line up perfectly..then if you do, do 3 diagonals...and tell me how you fare???

cheers bullet

THX1138 23-01-2012 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Diagonals you say bullet? I would auto map, sew them together in the UV editor, export to photoshop.

Silverfeather, try using a lighter color to give your fish creatures a bit more depth. Here is a quick example I did using your fish.

bullet1968 24-01-2012 01:11 AM

I think we may be overloading this thread....perhaps silver you should make a thread with your 2D questions and only post the finished products in here? THX I will PM you man..

cheers bullet

stwert 24-01-2012 01:13 AM

I've always thought this thread should be its own forum section. Lots of people do 2D stuff on the side, which is fantastic, and there should be more room for discussion, questions and critique. And I honestly don't think it would detract from a "maya" forum to have a small section for all kinds of 2D. There's plenty of other software stuff going round anyway.

THX1138 24-01-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

I've always thought this thread should be its own forum section. Lots of people do 2D stuff on the side, which is fantastic, and there should be more room for discussion, questions and critique. And I honestly don't think it would detract from a "maya" forum to have a small section for all kinds of 2D.
I would be in favor of that also.

Bullet, your right, I think we are overloading this thread a bit.

Dango77 14-02-2012 03:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stwert (Post 332123)
I've always thought this thread should be its own forum section. Lots of people do 2D stuff on the side, which is fantastic, and there should be more room for discussion, questions and critique. And I honestly don't think it would detract from a "maya" forum to have a small section for all kinds of 2D. There's plenty of other software stuff going round anyway.

Me too, I tend to do a bit of 3d and a bit of 2d everyday, but apart from DeviantArt I don't really have anywhere else to discuss or show 2d art.

After spending the morning playing with Dyna and Fibremesh in Z, I decided to attempt drawing a horse, as I haven't ever tried before, here are the results, sketch, and colour version (quick painting in PS), drawing took about 10 minutes, colour about 5.

bullet1968 14-02-2012 08:58 PM

not bad dango.....straight from the brain or replicated??

cheers bullet

Dango77 14-02-2012 10:42 PM

Cheers Bullet,
It's just a sketch from a photo, I wish I could draw a horse from memory! lol

THX1138 15-02-2012 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice one Dango! keep practicing and sooner or later you will be able to do it from memory.

Here is a dog sketch I did a long time ago. Cant remember exactly when ( guess I should have put a date on it ). It's still not finished believe it or not. It stared out as just a doodle, but as time went by, I kept adding more and more to it till I got burnt out on it. This is probably as far as it's ever going to get, enjoy.

SilverFeather 15-02-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX1138 (Post 332117)
Diagonals you say bullet? I would auto map, sew them together in the UV editor, export to photoshop.

Silverfeather, try using a lighter color to give your fish creatures a bit more depth. Here is a quick example I did using your fish.

Meh, i'm giving up on 2D, only using it as a reference for later on. They just don't end up exactly they way i want them to be. I want some kind of extremely dark color with some burning color effects (not flames, color burn, something like that).
I really would rather just stick to 3D.

THX1138 15-02-2012 10:18 PM

Don't give it up, or you could possibly regret it some day in the future. Even texturing a 3D model requires you to know how to do a little bit of 2D.

bullet1968 16-02-2012 08:06 AM

Im with THX...the more you do NOW and make mistakes etc WILL help you later silver!! as THX has pointed out...to make GOOD 3D you have to have some knowledge of 2D apps and the way you apply them. Give a gift but dont give in. Nice Dog THX!!! pencil or tablet?

cheers bullet

bullet1968 16-02-2012 08:11 AM

Horses arent that hard really dango....once you have done 1 head at least....fairly simple.

cheers bullet

SilverFeather 16-02-2012 05:19 PM

But doesn't 3D already add depth to the textures you paint? Bump mapping also adds depth. I just don't know how to create depth in 2D and for the alien fish, I wanted some kind of burning colors, not shiny/light.
I wanted them similar to the Betta fish's aspect, which is quite dark.
http://acvarism.ro/wp-content/galler...8191213502.jpg

Not my fish btw.

THX1138 16-02-2012 10:38 PM

@Silverfeather: Texturing doesn't add depth do a 3D model (depth has to be modeled ), and neither does bump mapping. All Bump mapping does is create a surface appearance, which could either look rough or smooth. How rough or smooth it looks you have to control through your materials attributes.

I recommend that before you go any further with 3D, that you watch a video or read a tutorial on the texturing process. There are alot of things I can tell from your post that that you don't fully understand the whole process yet.

@ Bullet1968: The dog was done in pencil, and some of the textures were painted in photoshop cheers mate!

SilverFeather 16-02-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX1138 (Post 333294)
@Silverfeather: Texturing doesn't add depth do a 3D model (depth has to be modeled ), and neither does bump mapping. All Bump mapping does is create a surface appearance, which could either look rough or smooth. How rough or smooth it looks you have to control through your materials attributes.

I recommend that before you go any further with 3D, that you watch a video or read a tutorial on the texturing process. There are alot of things I can tell from your post that that you don't fully understand the whole process yet.

@ Bullet1968: The dog was done in pencil, and some of the textures were painted in photoshop cheers mate!

That's because I haven't reached that point yet. Maybe I am confusing depth with something else. What I understand by depth is 3D appearance.

stwert 16-02-2012 11:54 PM

Depth is any visual cue that tells your brain something is in front of another. Stereopsis is the one that "3D" movies use, but a much more important cue is simply occlusion (i.e. one object partly obscures another, therefore it is in front of it), and other things like light, shadows, and other tonal quality give you "depth" which is what you can use textures and other 2D for. Maybe that's not what anyone was talking about, but learning and using "2D" is I think very important for understanding 3D and art in general.

SilverFeather 17-02-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stwert (Post 333296)
Depth is any visual cue that tells your brain something is in front of another. Stereopsis is the one that "3D" movies use, but a much more important cue is simply occlusion (i.e. one object partly obscures another, therefore it is in front of it), and other things like light, shadows, and other tonal quality give you "depth" which is what you can use textures and other 2D for. Maybe that's not what anyone was talking about, but learning and using "2D" is I think very important for understanding 3D and art in general.

Yeah but I cannot understand lighting / shadowing in 2D, that's why I'm saying I probably should give up on that since I seem to just not understand how to shadow the characters I draw.

THX1138 17-02-2012 12:28 AM

Your not going to understand it if you don't learn how to do it. Same thing applies to 3D. 2D and 3D go hand in hand. You really cant do one without the other in my honest opinion. Even the amazing folks who sculpt in Z-Brush or Mudbox with no reference have more than likely spent time doing 2D at some point.

SilverFeather 17-02-2012 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by THX1138 (Post 333298)
Your not going to understand it if you don't learn how to do it. Same thing applies to 3D. 2D and 3D go hand in hand. You really cant do one without the other in my honest opinion. Even the amazing folks who sculpt in Z-Brush or Mudbox with no reference have more than likely spent time doing 2D at some point.

I'll try but I don't know how to add depth while keeping the dark non-reflective aspect of those fish aliens. I'd make a separate thread just to not expand this one just talking about 2D but I don't know where. Maybe someone can help me achieve that effect I want, because I somehow have to use very dark but also burning colors in the picture.

This is somewhat close to how I'd like it to be. But it's a bit too dark.

THX1138 17-02-2012 10:04 PM

I recommend that you forget about the color for right now, and focus on the anatomy instead. There are features on your Alien fish that don't translate very well because of the dark color scheme.

Do another concept with just line art only. Do it with pencil and paper and scan it, or take a cell phone pic or something, then post it here.

SilverFeather 18-02-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX1138 (Post 333333)
I recommend that you forget about the color for right now, and focus on the anatomy instead. There are features on your Alien fish that don't translate very well because of the dark color scheme.

Do another concept with just line art only. Do it with pencil and paper and scan it, or take a cell phone pic or something, then post it here.

I don't have any scanners, so it will be blurry due to the phone (but I can make it sharper in Corel).
I will work on that tomorrow if I have time.
Though this one wasn't made on paper (unlike the other alien fish that looked like a bipedal shark). It was made on the pc for easier erasing if I'd make a mistake.

Ozgalis 27-02-2012 04:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some stuff I am working on, the one of them I am sure many of you will recognize, its Alex Alvarez's Fume. I wanted to give it my own little spin though, still trying to figure out how to do some of the stuff I want to.

THX1138 27-02-2012 10:06 PM

Cool stuff mate! I really like the Alex Alvarez's Fume sketch.

bullet1968 28-02-2012 01:57 AM

Cool stuff Oz....keep it up mate...lots practice.

cheers bullet

Ozgalis 28-02-2012 02:38 AM

thanks guys, I am hopping to actually get around to completing these soon. I think I am going to trace fix some issues on the last sketch, I dont like how the top of the jaw looks disconnected, and I am not a fan of how I did some of the shading, tried doing cross hatching for the skin and smooth for the bone...I think I should reverse that theory.

bullet1968 28-02-2012 03:00 AM

I shade evrything...and only use lines or hatching for small areas. You know how to shade properly??? with different graphites? and using a SLIGHTLY if at all damp finger to 'rub' the shades??

cheers bullet

Ozgalis 28-02-2012 03:44 AM

yea, I actually have done quite a few shade studies, different shade ink, or graphite, these I did while I was working so I never had the proper tools. It was just an on the spot had a few hours to blow type of thing

Perfecto 28-02-2012 04:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd post something in this thread. This is one of the character concepts for a project I'm working on. Scanner broke so I had to use a camera.

THX1138 29-02-2012 03:58 AM

Nice one Perfecto!

bullet1968 29-02-2012 04:17 AM

Very beastly Perfecto.....very nasty looking

cheers bullet

joverall22 29-02-2012 04:56 AM

I likes :)

twisteddragon33 01-03-2012 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a drawing i planned on making into full armor similar to Iron Man. I did end up modeling this in 3d too but I've been stumped on the chest part. Got the arms, hands legs feet sketched out too but not uploaded.

Originally in pen on a memo pad at my desk while i was waiting for my computer to be repaired by our infinitely incompetent IT department... had to transfer them to scan though.

bullet1968 01-03-2012 03:32 AM

cool td.....what stumped you in what way? design wise?

cheers bullet

twisteddragon33 02-03-2012 03:47 AM

Well i had the design in my head as being a very sleek, thin, recon style suit and everything i was designing was too big bulky for this design. I kept the designs for other uses but i have trouble with small and stealthy. Making is sleek and small usually lost most of the details i wanted as well. Although its been some months since i sketched something out i should try again.

SilverFeather 23-03-2012 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been busy lately, but I drew the outline of those fish aliens I had before. I tried on paper but after 12 times of failing to make the snout properly, I ended up resorting to Corel + Mouse again -.-

So, how can I make the ones on this pic:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ss-d4n6dhx.png
to look more like the one in the attachment? It's hard to get lighting effects while keeping a dark purble+red+blue color on it.