Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   From were are You? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21329)

Rostoons 17-05-2006 07:46 PM

I'm from bedford in Bedfordshire in the UK but i'm currently studying in Swansea

luanatf 17-05-2006 08:47 PM

I'm from Italy :)

MattTheMan 17-05-2006 08:56 PM

funny, I was just about to ask why everyone but me, Joopson, and Some Guy were from the UK

Oh, and you too skywola

Joopson 17-05-2006 09:27 PM

lol, good point......... LOL

Some Guy 18-05-2006 09:49 AM

How many people here are form Aussiestralia? I know Mirek is but that is about it...

arran 18-05-2006 12:28 PM

I'm from London and I live in New York.

13th_resident 19-05-2006 08:07 AM

hey arran has anyone in NY comment you on the correct way of saying words.
the words on the right is the way the british say it.
for example.

soccer instead of football
zebra instead of ze'bra
schedule instead of she'ju'ole
aluminum instead of al'minn'eum
garage instead of ge'ridge
lever instead of le'ver
yogurt instead of yo'gert

MattTheMan 19-05-2006 11:43 AM

and thats the Right way to say stuff :D

arran 19-05-2006 02:24 PM

No, no one has really commented to me to say whether one way of saying something is 'correct' or not. (Maybe I am too 'dull' to talk to. ;) )

When I first moved here, I did notice for about the first month that some people would repeat everything that I said or would say inane suppossedly 'english' phrases over and over to me like 'would you like a cup of tea?' which doesn't help when you are trying to get drunk.

There are a ton of different words and pronunciations that crop up all the time, such as the word 'sneakers' for 'trainers' or the word 'detail'.

Some words or phrases that I would advise against using include the word 'jumper', as in 'I am going to put on my jumper' - that will get you some funny looks, as will stating 'I would like to smoke a fag' and lastly, be very careful of the word 'fanny'. Let's just say that if an american ever says to you 'I have an itchy fanny', it does not mean the same thing!

mmoore5553 19-05-2006 02:27 PM

okay cause i am find what you said interesting ..smoke a fag ? is a cig ?

put a jumper what is that ?

gster123 19-05-2006 02:29 PM

A jumper is a long sleved top, and a fag's a cigarette

So where do they have an itch???

arran 19-05-2006 02:49 PM

ha ha - ok - a jumper is like a sweater to a British person, but to an American it is a small girl's dress and a 'fanny' means arse, as in fannypack = bumbag (Not that you would ever have need or own such a thing!)

I am sure Mirek and Some Guy can give us suggestions of Australian words and different meanings as well - perhaps a new thread?

Any americans please correct me. ;)

Oh, and apologies if I caused any offence.

13th_resident 19-05-2006 06:37 PM

there is also trousers and pants.
the most funny thing that i heard here when i first came to england was. "i think you fancy him". of course i didnt know what that ment before. :blush:
here they measure ppls weight in "Stones". not pounds or kilograms but stones. i think 1 stone is equall to 14 pounds.

i think BMS is also from australia.

tiddles 24-05-2006 10:30 AM

Well you can add one for to the Australian pile ;)

I'm from Newcastle, New South Wales...

I would like to take this opportunity to invite the rest of the World to pull up a jumbuck and take the weight of ya billabongs !!

:beer:

mmoore5553 29-05-2006 07:08 PM

hmmmm tiddles interesting ...hope you are saying pull up a chair and take a load off

lol :beer: