Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Baby's head (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21731)

Minstrel 27-06-2006 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More tweaking with the lights and the eyes. I also added a bit of the upper torso. Pretty much done with the modeling I think. I guess is going back to the hair now. CC welcome :)

Minstrel 25-07-2006 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some small progress on the eyebrow and eyelashes.

JAY, thx so much for sharing that tutorial on the eyelashes...amazing!!! I had no idea you could do such things. That technique opens up a bunch of possibilities for other things. I'll probably redo the eyelashes, so easy now :)

I'll get back to the hair at the top one of these days.

starjsjswars 25-07-2006 10:13 PM

tut? whats the link?

arran 27-07-2006 07:46 PM

Great work minstrel! This is looking nice!:beer:

Jay 27-07-2006 07:56 PM

Minstrel

No Probs...glad to help

Jay

NeoStrider 27-07-2006 09:14 PM

between the last two pictures you posted (the last one without eyebrows, and then the one with eyebrows) it looks like the baby's head got scaled down a bit... did something happen, or is it just a trick with the perspective? i think the shape of the baby's head honestly looked better in the pic without the eyebrows...

starjsjswars 28-07-2006 04:38 AM

jay whats the tut you gave him, can i have the link?

Jay 28-07-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

jay whats the tut you gave him, can i have the link?

can I have the link ....please?

Yes you can...

Jay

http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/communi...itemId=2800119

Minstrel 31-07-2006 09:09 PM

Hey guys, thx for the comments, yes, I redid the shape of the head (it wasn't the perspective). The upper part of the head was too big (the forehead). I played some more with the eyebrow and eyelashes and I feel good enough about them to move onto the hair. But Im getting a little lazy.

tadpole3159 31-07-2006 09:18 PM

the hair looks crazy hard it's all messy in the picture how you gonna do that? i wanna keep an eye on this and see how you do :ninja:

Minstrel 03-08-2006 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
eyebrow and eyelashes are "final". Hair on top is a test...im trying fur attached to a hair system to get some dynamics going. This picture below is one of the results. Im trying to insert a second fur system to fill in the spaces but im getting some strange results. I need to play more with it.

Minstrel 05-08-2006 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying some new things, experimenting with hair contraints, very neat stuff.

arran 05-08-2006 07:43 PM

Looking good minstrel!

At the moment I think the eyebrows are a little bit too strong. I think you need to thin them out a bit.

I like your hair experiments!

DJbLAZER 07-08-2006 01:46 AM

To me the eyebrows look to thin and sharp actually, like they have been plucked, and usually girls in that age doesn't pluck the eyebrows :) Make them a bit thicker but not so sharp, either make the color or the fur gradually fade out.

Minstrel 07-08-2006 07:25 PM

The issue with the eyebrows is right on the money, i played quite a bit to try to get the right density to it, and try to unsuccesfully simulate the fading using "custom equilizer maps". I did not think of fading the color to achive that effect, very good idea...i'll have to try that (perhaps mapping the opacity might also do the trick...). The good new is that I played with the lighting and amazing how changing the spot light (the main source light) to an area light completely changed the look. I'll post an image tonight but i am very pleased how the eyes really come out, as well as how much softer the eyebrows appear. My only issue with using area lights is that the shadows have some artifacts forcing me to crank up the number of rays coming out of the area light making rendering about 3-4 times longer than when using the spot light. I am using something like 55 rays...which is huge compared to the 15 i was using with the spot light, and the artifacts are still not completely gone (I'll have to go even higher to 60-70 rays). Not sure if there is a way to blurr the shadow to eliminate those artifacts without having to increase the number of rays...Any ideas?