Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   THX1138 - N0RM - Jan/Feb (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24408)

goksimaster 17-01-2007 03:38 AM

It's looking realy nice, just maybe to change the thigh

THX1138 17-01-2007 05:03 AM

goksimaster, could you be more specific about the thigh? I am constantly tweeking the mech's topology, and perhaps it's something else thats making them look to small or too big. also I would like to note that the upper leg covering is not supposed to go all the way up and meet the waist. It stops about 2 thirds up to provide freedome for the leg joint. Please see the refference pic on the first page of this thread.

Thanks again for the CC, it help me out alot!:beer:

papalatistudios 17-01-2007 07:08 AM

Just wanted to jump on here and say hey. Keep up the good work let me know if you want some crit.

Later.

THX1138 17-01-2007 03:23 PM

I'm always up for crit palpa, so blast away! :D

Thanks again for the kind words.:)

THX1138 23-01-2007 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Small update.

Tweaking body proportions a bit more. Been working on the upplerleg joint design a bit. Havent found a design I like yet. I also added new feet ( they look alot better ), and I finially added his hands. Still haven't done any new work on the head yet.

THX1138 24-01-2007 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Did some work on the head. I modeled the helmet as a seperate piece, and boy guess what happened. I went over way over my 2000 poly limit ( 2999 poly's to be exact ). I also have to thank the hands for adding to that poly count aswell. Now the fustration begins. I ask myself now, do I go back and remodel the hands and helmet to bring that count down a bit, or do I just keep going?

Anyway, I will probably make another version of the helmet and see what you folks think.

THX1138 24-01-2007 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A closer look.

NeoStrider 24-01-2007 06:30 AM

i really liked the model as it was progressing, but i've gotta say, the 'new' helmet kills it. you've got a whole style that keeps with (somewhat) hard edges, and then BAM! round helmet. it almost feels like some mom picked up two toys from the floor, found the helmet later, and not knowing any better, just stuck it on the robot... when it really went on the space avenger dude. everything else on the model i really like, but the helmet's gotta go - or at least keep with the hard(er) edges motif, it really works well.

THX1138 24-01-2007 06:54 AM

Thanks for the crit Neo, or should I say... Mr. Anderson.

Anyway, all joking aside. Yeah, the round helmet is a total clash with the style I have allready established. I think I should stick with a much lower res version, and keep with the motif.

Thanks again! :beer:

NeoStrider 24-01-2007 08:06 AM

LOL no problem.

and the name.... is neo... :P

marlonjohn 26-01-2007 09:34 PM

the model looks great and the detail is good aswell... only crit i would have is that the helmet ears dosnt really look like the reference picture since its smoothed more out i think...

marlon

THX1138 27-01-2007 10:54 AM

Thanks for the comment marlonjohn !:beer:

Yeah, that helmet does differ a bit in design from the concept pic, and it shows. I'm currently remodeling a new one that better matches the concept pic. I just haven't had much time these past few days to do much modeling because of work.

Thanks again for thje comment!

THX1138 31-01-2007 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update.

Got a new helmet on him now that is alot closer to the concept pic. I still have some detail work to do on it to match the concept pic, but it's getting real close now.

MrTerminator 01-02-2007 02:32 AM

I like the new helmet. It hasn't got too much roundness, just a little bit :)

THX1138 01-02-2007 10:38 PM

Thank you Mr. T .:beer: I'm really happy with my progress so far. This new helmet is the hardest piece so far to model. My concept pic has such a bad perspective, and it's topology is bad. The sketch was made rather quickly if I recall, and It's been about 4 years since it I drew it.