Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   franky the return (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24442)

mirek03 07-01-2007 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hey there, as i said, I was inspired to spend an hour or so. Yea, its a great tut. finding some weird tool behaviour on Maya 8 though. Never really used it much, quite happy with 6.5 or 7, i;m sort of thinking of using 6.5 again but one needs to keep up with the times these days. I had to go out and spend $4000 (two years interest free) on ProTools and an M Box just to stay in the scoring music game, much less the race. (got rather big premier coming up and only three weeks left to do the music, it will be packed with animation and CG people. TAFE is show casing there digital section with this movie, could be a good break for me.)

anyway, that's another story but it made me realise that one needs to keep up with the times if it involves work.

here's the latest with Franky. :)

mirek03 09-01-2007 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well I finished the second part of Kurts free Franky. I love this tut.

Simon, thanks again for that tip on the Extrude tool, dont know what would have happened if YOU hadn't of helped. I would probably still behere extruding Kurts tut in all the wrong places lol :confused:

whats the world coming to eh?? The further we go the more 'cool' we get.

take care

gster123 09-01-2007 01:54 PM

Looks good man, do you plan to texture him afterwards?

enhzflep 09-01-2007 05:58 PM

:bandit:
Heh heh..

It is a good tute, isn't it. Both this and the cartoon dog were great value. The dog was the first thing I tried rigging, texturing and blend shapes with. It was also the model I used to get the hang of using a control system that would allow each eye to look in a seperate direction or at the same target, depending on the value of a custom attribute. Mmm 3dBuzZ has some good stuff too.

Glad to hear of your relief, putting such a pain in the a$$ issue like the extrude bug behind you. I know I stuggle enough when the pc is doing what it is supposed to.:p

Yup, inspite of global warming, the world is becoming a somewhat colder place to live, but in the immortal words of a young Aussie, "Such is life"...

Looking forward to seeing frankie finished mate, just wait for the sense of achievement you get when he's 'coloured in'. Not to mention the inspiration one gets for trying bigger and better things.

'till later,

Simon.

publicFunction 09-01-2007 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
mirek you are doing well...

Just to show you how I did here is my version of Frankie Textured :)

mirek03 09-01-2007 08:44 PM

hi Gster, great to see you taking a peek, yea I do plan to texture him. will probably need help ith that :)

Simon, young ozzy.., you'd be refering to Ned Kelly no less lol. global warming?? yea, its becoming an oxymoron :)

R@nSiD (how do you say that?? :) ) looks good, very toony. did you rig him too. Did you try a numder of textures or did yousettle on one texture, i mean did you try any of the toon shaders or anything. I really have no idea about that yet, its something that is puzzling me at the moment. How ill I texture him??

thanks guys all much appreciated. :)

publicFunction 09-01-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mirek03
R@nSiD (how do you say that?? :) )... did you rig him too. Did you try a numder of textures or did yousettle on one texture, i mean did you try any of the toon shaders or anything.
Pronounced Rancid (wierd huh - and yes it's spelling is wrong on purpose and theres a tail behind it).

He is 3/4 Rigged. Hes has the basic rig in and all the weights painted to the joints. I have 1 hand rigged to a NURBS Curve (used as controller for the attributes that are tagged to SDK (Set Driven Keys) for fingers and thumb (index, ring, middle finger & thumb rolls and a fist). If you can grab Mikes rigging tute and Kurts foot roll one, very handyand worth the tupence. AS for textures I can UV map ok, but I am no 2D artist, but got the effects or look I wanted with some of photoshops default brushes. Thank god for my Tablet.

I did flirt with the toon shader, but it didn't look right

mirek03 10-01-2007 02:54 AM

ummmm, looks like im in for a steep learning curve (and loving it) :)

cheers mate. (ransid lol)

mirek03 12-01-2007 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
stole some time between an A flat and a G, not much between them so not a lot of time.

here is franky before I turned some of him to polys, its the first time I have done that on a 'real' model

mirek03 12-01-2007 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
.., and then i discovered what 'cleaning mesh' means. I thought I knew but it was all news to me. so any thoughts please say, i have no idea if this is good or bad or how I might improve on it. Only the head arms and body are joined.

i created a lot of geometry because I had no idea what I was doing when I was merging verts, but sort of figured it out as I went.

again I must thank Kurt for this extraordinary tut, I have others of course but there is something quiet magical about this one.

mirek03 13-01-2007 07:26 AM

should I try and get the edges lined up evenly spaced, cleaned up, should I rebuld, or will all be revealed as I go in the tut?? this is the question. :)

publicFunction 13-01-2007 08:33 AM

The flow of the goemetry must flow from the body to the legs, so add a bit more (where needed), to the legs... Or delete anything that is not vital to the body geometry. Same goes for the hands and arms ;)

mirek03 13-01-2007 02:32 PM

thanks mate, i did this before I read your reply. body, heads and hands are joined, the body not yet, i have just made duplicates of the side (legs and half body) to see what it looks like. Thanks for that advice, will do; I'm half way through the 3rd part and half way through this film I am working on (sounds great ??? I'm surprised at myself :) )

cheers again mate, I'm still soldering on :)

mirek03 13-01-2007 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
forgot to put the update ??? dduuurrr!!!

marlonjohn 14-01-2007 01:01 PM

mirek > "been busy withe music though, just found out the movie is being previewed in town in 4 weeks..??"

is your music or something being previewed soon?