Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Help in Modeling a L Shaped Torch( The one used in Army) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24626)

allanphua 14-01-2007 05:18 AM

Help in Modeling a L Shaped Torch( The one used in Army)

Hi anyone out there can guide me on the steps on how to model this L Shaped torch? I am really a newbie to MAYA 8.0 and really dun have the interest in designiong and modelling. I really need help. I would like to use Polygonal Modeling using Cylinders and Pipes and what are the things i need to do? I also know that i need to assign a new material to the object before modeling.

marlonjohn 14-01-2007 05:05 PM

hello allanphua,

i would love to help but i dont have a clue what an l shaped torch looks like of have never even seen one even when i try googling it. could you post a picture/reference of it and maybe we could get you started on it right away :)

marlon

allanphua 17-01-2007 04:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[IMG]http://[/IMG]

allanphua 17-01-2007 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

marlonjohn 17-01-2007 07:41 AM

ermm is it me or when i try to extract the file some error comes up and wont let me.

heres a quicker way,

www.imageshack.us
browse your file and let it load.
go to the buttom and find "direct link to image" and copy that
then type [.IMG]linkhere[./IMG] (remove dots)

publicFunction 17-01-2007 07:56 AM

Do you mean?

http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/images/853/tor.jpg

NeoStrider 17-01-2007 01:42 PM

lol a flashlight? and here i was thinking blowtorch! hurray for local syntax.

allanphua 17-01-2007 04:52 PM

yup.. tahts what i m trying to mean. HOpe you can hjelp me get started. Can u help me soon!

marlonjohn 19-01-2007 12:59 PM

ahaha yeah does look like a blowtorch neostrider :p

hey allan, ill try think of how to do it then guide you threw :)

allanphua 19-01-2007 02:05 PM

i need the finished model by 2nd feb. Hope it can be started soon, Can u send me the Maya Binarry format of the model?

publicFunction 19-01-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by allanphua
i need the finished model by 2nd feb. Hope it can be started soon, Can u send me the Maya Binarry format of the model?
Is this uni work? Or a paid project? Why does it have a time scale of the 2nd of Feb?

We can advise on how to approach it but no one here will really do your work for you if they do not get credit for it. That's called Plagiarism

marlonjohn 19-01-2007 02:28 PM

thats plenty of time but please dont expect me to do the modeling for you or even someone else.

does anyone know how to should model this peice out?

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3287/torchid0.jpg

j5ive 19-01-2007 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this in 5 mins, basically take a cylinder, delete the top faces, select the top verts, rotate about 45 degrees, duplicate and rotate so the two 45 degree edges meet, combine and merge verts.

allanphua 19-01-2007 11:27 PM

what are the measurements of the size of the cylinder?

allanphua 19-01-2007 11:30 PM

i don't understand when you say duplicate and rotate so the two 45 degree edges meet, combine and merge verts.

How to do it? Can explain clearer using MAYA?

enhzflep 20-01-2007 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah, don't worry about it. Sometimes a pic's worth a 1000 words, and this is especially true when trying to come to grips with something.

j5ive was spot on the money with his description, though for a newie it may seem a little bewildering. I did it slightly differently than described, but no matter it's still a torch.

Here's all the steps needed with pics.

1. Create 32 sided cylinder
2. Delete all the edges on the top and bottom
3. Extrude the top face, scaling out a little
4. Extrude again, just moving upwards
5. Rotate part by 45 deg
6. Use cut faces tool, using axis as a guidline
7. Delete unneccesary faces
8. Rotate to this position
9. Duplicate it
10. Rotate the duplicate
11. Rotate the duplicate again
12. Select top verts and move them up a bit
13. Pick duplicate as an object, then hit insert, hold down V and move the axis point to the topmost vertex. Hit ins again.
14. Select duplicate as an object, hold V then move until the two parts line up
15. Select both objects, Polygons->Combine, Select verts at intersection & hit EditPolygons->Merge.

16. Work out which part to attack next.....

Simon.

publicFunction 20-01-2007 01:58 PM

Both solutions are spot on on this.

Really there are a few ways to approach this and still end up with the same results. Go to the Maya F1 Files and do the tutes there first. This will give you a much better idea of the Maya basics.

From the sounds of it you have literally just started with Maya, so good luck, its a tough learning curve.

marlonjohn 20-01-2007 10:23 PM

hey allanphua, have you started any progress yet?

haha i was bored in the afternoon and decided to see how much i could do in a little time for fun :p this is what i got up to, colours are abit off. if you like anything from mine just give us a nudge and ill tell you how to model it allanphua or anyone else :)

marlon

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/184/light13fi.png
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/498/light22qy.png
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1548/light30ii.png
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9651/light43md.png

allanphua 21-01-2007 09:40 AM

what should i set the radius and the height of the cylinder to? What about the Subdivisions around the Axis and along the height?

allanphua 21-01-2007 09:46 AM

Should I use NURBS or POLYGON Primitives to set the attributes? How to set it to 32 Sided? isit found in the Polygon Primitives or NURBS

marlonjohn 21-01-2007 10:03 AM

you dont really need the exact measurements, just try go by eye and go as best as you can.

if im on the right page as you, if you want to set 32 sided, go to the option box for polygon, before you actually click on it itself.

allanphua 21-01-2007 10:23 AM

i just cant get it right. I do not know how to set the dimensions to 32 sided.

publicFunction 21-01-2007 10:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by allanphua
I do not know how to set the dimensions to 32 sided./QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to do some tutorials fisr before attempting this on your own. Press F1 and do those. You are not going to learn via forums tbh. Download the free tutorials from here, these cover the basics.

Once you understand the Maya UI and get to grips with just creating objects then I'd say ull be ready to attempt this.

marlonjohn 21-01-2007 10:41 AM

EDIT: yeah i agree with ransid, first learn the user interface before even starting to try and create something, your trying to walk before you can crawl i think...

but here it is anyway... ived posted some screenshots how,

http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/8172/122482476tb.png

allanphua 22-01-2007 08:28 AM

1. Create 32 sided cylinder
2. Delete all the edges on the top and bottom
3. Extrude the top face, scaling out a little
4. Extrude again, just moving upwards
5. Rotate part by 45 deg
6. Use cut faces tool, using axis as a guidline
7. Delete unneccesary faces
8. Rotate to this position
9. Duplicate it
10. Rotate the duplicate
11. Rotate the duplicate again
12. Select top verts and move them up a bit
13. Pick duplicate as an object, then hit insert, hold down V and move the axis point to the topmost vertex. Hit ins again.
14. Select duplicate as an object, hold V then move until the two parts line up
15. Select both objects, Polygons->Combine, Select verts at intersection & hit EditPolygons->Merge.

16. Work out which part to attack next.....

How to do Step 2, 3 4 and 7? How many degress do i have to rotate the duplicate?

enhzflep 22-01-2007 12:13 PM

Roflmao..

2. Hold right button(over object), select edges, select alledges in top view on end oof cylinder, hit delete.

3. Hold right button(over object), select faces, select top face, Polygons->ExtrudeFace. Click a scale part of the manipulator then drag the scale using the blue box that appears in the middle of the manipulator.

4. With the last face still selected, hit g, then use the up arrow to move it the right amount.

7. Hold right button(that's right, you guess it, over the object) and select all the faces you don't need and hit del.

10. Rotate the duplicate?? Huh? It's clearly 180deg from img 9 to img 10. From img 10 to 11 is clearly 90deg, but on another axis.

Finally, send me some money so I can try to placate the people I've probably annoyed with the detailed instructions under the circumstances... :p
Simon.

wokendreams 24-01-2007 07:29 PM

Make your cylender
Wedge extrude 45
extrude top face

Just for the corner piece, I noticed no one mentioned wedge extrusions.

allanphua 25-01-2007 03:10 AM

i dont know how to do wedge extrusion? Its too confusing for me to follow without any steps or pictures.

marlonjohn 25-01-2007 03:16 AM

allanphua, it seems you are very new to maya...

it would be better if you learnt the whole maya user interface so then you know whats what and where everything is. try googling for some tutorial etc

thats my thought,

allanphua 29-01-2007 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I Really need help. Can anyone help me in Step 4? I juz can't extrude and further scale upwards, I've tried but when i scale upwards, the other part is not in line. And i don't know how to do it. Here is the image that I have done. Can send me the edited copy and I'l try to continue my model from there.

bruce dwyer 29-01-2007 02:55 AM

need some fundermentals

it might be worth down loading one of the Kurt videos to get some fundermental skills either the cartoon dog or the human form it would help a lot give you a range of skills that would cover this and more ... apologies if i have miss-read it;)

allanphua 31-01-2007 07:13 AM

before getting started i need to use image planes first to model according the image.. can anyone guide me along after i have used image planes
? I tried to followed the steps but to no avail.

bruce dwyer 31-01-2007 11:57 AM

like i said before

but they are free and they ae fantastic they dont take long to work thruand they real will answer all these questions for you

thewooleymammoth 01-02-2007 06:10 PM

you should just watch the the human tutorial in the free video training section, you dont even have to follow along and everything will make worlds more sence to you, good luck with your torch,

allanphua 05-02-2007 06:44 AM

marlon john, can help me get the steps out for the design u posted earlier? I really need helpp. I got stuck until that part...

Can anyone help me to guide me along on how to model using image planes? Which view should i uuse?

gster123 05-02-2007 01:09 PM

Use the front and side, poss the side only for this if you can get a decent ref pic.

I thingthat you should go over the basics of the extrude tool as its a really simple object to model (theres a free tutorial on the extrude tool here on simply maya that should get you going on what you want)

allanphua 06-02-2007 03:41 PM

can post the link to the extrude tutorial? Can anyone help me with the graphics that was posted earlier by marlon john?

j5ive 06-02-2007 03:48 PM

mate, seriously, just check out the start-up basic tutorials. People will not be willing to do work for you as simple as selecting faces and extruding.

enhzflep 06-02-2007 03:56 PM

That's right j5ive..

Trust me Allan, j5ive was being nice when he said that.

Do ALL of the tutes in this link then you'll be fine. (With the possibl exception of the first one - Character design) If not, you're not thinking hard enough.

Simply Maya FREE tutes

S.