Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   MAC vs PC (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24896)

surferbro66 02-02-2007 08:57 AM

MAC vs PC

I don’t know if this is the right forum for this but here goes. I have been playing around with Maya for a few years and have decided to get serious with it this year and learn ZBrush. so before I buy my own version of Maya ( I use my room mates) and ZBrush, should I be thinking about switching to a Mac? I have a pretty up to date PC and high end Graphics card, I know Mac used to be the Graphic art standard but is it still? I see lots of plug in's for Maya for PC are there less for Mac? :bow:

gster123 02-02-2007 09:59 AM

Theres no difference, there is in the useability and this is where you will get the divide of opinion, to me Macs look pretty, but are limitted in the hardware, software (unless you want to run windows under bootcamp, hence whats the point of having 2 Os's??)

As for Graphics standard, I think lots of studios run Pc's more than Macs

papalatistudios 02-02-2007 01:45 PM

If I had the money to buy the latest g5 with those new woodcrest xeon processors. I would! They are the fastest processors on the planet. Every benchmark every where will show that.

02-02-2007 02:05 PM

DONT BUY A MAC!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE THE OPITAMY OF EVILE

i say use good old windows its easier

papalatistudios 02-02-2007 02:21 PM

Im not a MAC user, but I will just say this....

We as pc users have always been used to the windows format....

WINDOWS = DATABASE

...the same was for those of us who remember dos.

Now look at MAC OS, hierarchy...yes, but ever thing does not lie folder within folder with folder within subfolder, oh wait dont forget to uncheck hidden files and folders to find another group of folders with folders.

Dont forget to make sure that all those extensions are in place.

Having to upgrade your drivers every other month.

Making sure that your firewall is up to date and your antivirus is running with updated definitions.

Dont forget to run your spyware programs all 5 of them.

Now I realize I am throwing the lot of the problems all at once. But not one of these is a fabrication.

Just the other day I got a call from a client I built a system for that used to use macs. She called up panicking that she cant find the "start bar" and doesnt know what to do. She said she never had to worry about a start bar before.

The last mac I owned was a Apple II GS which was actually at the same time the first macintosh was being released.

I only have knowledge of the newer macs from school.

To put it simply...

A monkey could not run windows, but he could run a mac. :lmao:

02-02-2007 02:38 PM

true but ummmm... i got nothin

:beer:

papalatistudios 02-02-2007 03:07 PM

:lmao:

marlonjohn 02-02-2007 03:53 PM

"Theres no difference, there is in the useability and this is where you will get the divide of opinion, to me Macs look pretty, but are limitted in the hardware, software (unless you want to run windows under bootcamp, hence whats the point of having 2 Os's??)"

totally agree...

wasnt there a thread like this 2 months back i remember?

"A monkey could not run windows, but he could run a mac."

soo true lol, btw how do you do them extra emotion(little faces)

starjsjswars 02-02-2007 04:09 PM

Macs suck face it.:p

Go windows more compatible.

surferbro66 02-02-2007 04:58 PM

Thanks!!

Thanks! You all confirmed what I thought. I really did not want to change to Mac anyway.
:attn:

surferbro66 02-02-2007 05:05 PM

WoW!

1 Attachment(s)
I am currently attending Gnomon online Classes and I found this post tonight. Even more reason to not get the Mac

Posted:Posted: Sat Jan 27 19:55:34 PST 2007 Post Subject: lighting problems

I'm having some lighting problems. I will set up the shot and get the lights the way I want them . But if I move the camera the lights pretty much disapperar. Is any one else having this problem.

I'm using a mac A pretty good one I think.

Any help would be great. Here are my specs

mirek03 02-02-2007 05:47 PM

Ive got both mac and windows, (intel, dont even bother with boot camp, don't like windows set up, yes a monkey can run on a mac' I'd go for the mac any day.)

took me months to figure windows took me days to figure the mac, beautiful machines, no doubt about it,

I got the Mac because a lot of pro studios use them, and I had to learn them, but this is something i do not regret. whats good enough for the pros is good enough for me; final cut pro i a beautiful editing suite i have learned to love, that too is very friendly along with the packages that go with it, Motion, Soundtrack, DVD pro, ect, very nice software.., and i have lots of different widows software from Avid to CuBase, Fusion aftereffects ect., the Mac is soooo nice

i could not praise the 24 inch Intel tiger mac enough. the new vista OS for windows already has a bad rep (heard some very bad things about the windows to microsoft connection, bad privacy issues, check it out), while tiger/leopard is looking good.

my 3 cents worth.., go Mac! windows is fine too, also depends on how much one is prepared to put into Maya, one gets what they put in no matter what the OS.

The Architect 02-02-2007 07:53 PM

Macs vs. PC is pointless. I think why people in 2D graphics use Macs is that they look more pretty (according to most people, not me) and the people doing graphics always have works of art hanging around their studio so having a generic beige box will spoil the evironment.

From a hardware point of view, both a PC and a Mac using Intel will have the same processors (if you know where to look, you can buy dual or even quad socket Xeon system boards with support for 32 GB of RAM for PC), the same graphics cards, the same hard drives, the same everything except for case and bundled OS. In my opinion, most the performance from a Mac comes from its OS, which is much more better at given itself a smaller footprint, unlike Windows which suffers from software bloat and other stuff, although you can just get yourself Linux.

mirek03 02-02-2007 08:12 PM

ummmm?? my friend, I think you must be joking that 'artists' prefer macs because they are prettier, there are many 'artists ' on this forum, including you and we are all no differant. you are corect that Macs are pretty, but no serious' artist' would buy a computer based on its appearance. performance is everything when handling huge files, video or audio or the process of rendering (100%).

no no, Macs are much ore user riendly and artists, if anything (dont quote me) may be a little lazy when it comes to bothering tolearn the ins and outs of an OS jst to use an app properly, something one forgoes when using a mac. believe me, 8 months ago I would have put my hands up for the PC, but then again, who would trust a guy with a face like Bil Gates?? I must have been blinded by science.

anyway,the reasons you mentioned sound good enough, whatever they mean, small footprint..,yea, that s :) I like them because they take a small shoe :)

i agree, a piontless argument, but a valid question !

The Architect 02-02-2007 08:46 PM

mirek03 > '...I think you must be joking that 'artists' prefer macs because they are prettier...'

Yeah, I was joking there. But some people do judge computers according to looks, an example being a friend of mine who is a bit fanatical when it comes to the appearence of the case...

mirek03 > 'Macs are much more user friendly'

I always hear that, but in my case, Mac OS is more difficult to use than anything I have ever used (DOS, Windows, SUSE Linux, Lindows). But on stability and reliability and speed, it beats Windows a hundred times.

mirek03 > '...who would trust a guy with a face like Bil Gates??'

lol!! I agree. All the 'dial home' things in Vista and the checking for illegal copies.... By the way, have you seen his mugshots on Wikipedia from the 70s?

marlonjohn 02-02-2007 11:43 PM

thats soo old but yet soo funny! lol... bill gates was a bad boy in the 70's... something like speeding all the time and stealing cars or something? it was in silicon valley, best movie ever!

how microsoft steals the idea's from apple and still does :p there was something a couple months back where when gates was giving a talk about vista when it was going to be released etc, he said everything exactly like what steve jobs said when he released the mac.... pretty interesting,

[EDIT: pirates of silicon valley]

papalatistudios 03-02-2007 02:49 AM

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are clones, its like a star trek episode. Where you have the clone that is a genius when it comes to creativity, however he is unstable emotionally due to his intellect. Then you have clone number 2 who is the sinister one, who does everything he can to get the power he doesnt have, whether that means cheating, stealing, or killing to get it. In the end, they go behind locked doors and try to come up with ways to conquer the species. You know the 2 species Macites and Windonians.

However the Linuxians have a plan to bring the Macites and Windonians together in peace one day, by counteracting the poison of the compatibility virus and the "prettier disease", with their own powerful weapon, opensource.

Im lmao just thinking about it.

pbman 03-02-2007 05:00 AM

i would go for pc but

wen i went to uni interview they said linux is the industry stardard for use with maya

surferbro66 03-02-2007 06:14 AM

Linux!?

Oh Man I was just thinking about geting Vista lol. I never have used Linux.

DrRobotnik 03-02-2007 06:38 AM

Re: Linux!?

Quote:

Originally posted by surferbro66
Oh Man I was just thinking about geting Vista lol. I never have used Linux.
Have a dual boot and use both, thats what i do.

papalatistudios 03-02-2007 07:08 AM

Most PC users dont know, that MAC OSX is built on a UNIX Kernel. The same as Linux which is why both operating systems are more stable and more powerful than windows. If I could afford MAC I would get one, now. 2 years ago I wouldnt.

marlonjohn 03-02-2007 11:23 AM

"wen i went to uni interview they said linux is the industry stardard for use with maya"

i tried using that once but had no clue how to even install the dam thing! ;)

mirek03 03-02-2007 12:42 PM

no, mugshot.??? did he get busted for coke too, maybe him and George were hanging on the streets together then. :)

dig to see it, you have it?

this ma vs PC thing, its a killer isn't it lol?? useless argument (but I still like the mac, :) ever had to do a DOS ind of thin for real so I wont have to worry on that score) :) :) :)

linux.., industry standard.?? which Planet.?? planet Zargon!??

pbman 03-02-2007 11:23 PM

hey man
just saying what i was told

gster123 03-02-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mirek03

linux.., industry standard.?? which Planet.?? planet Zargon!??

Linux is used a hell of a lot.

severinianthony 04-02-2007 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
As for Graphics standard, I think lots of studios run Pc's more than Macs
I can kinda vouch for that...

As a generalization from my personal experiences with Mac's and PC's, I've found that Mac's seem to run a bit slower; for no reason whatsoever. I mean just running; not Maya, not the internet, not anything...

Anyway, studios are quite commonly time-is-money philisophical, and if it takes a Mac two minutes to power on, versus a PC taking 2 minutes to power on, log in, start up Maya and open one's project...well, you do the math; time spent waiting on your system is time not spent working on...well, work.

Other than this, I've seen no difference between performance.

The Architect 04-02-2007 06:55 AM

papalatistudios > 'Most PC users dont know, that MAC OSX is built on a UNIX Kernel. The same as Linux which is why both operating systems are more stable and more powerful than windows. If I could afford MAC I would get one, now. 2 years ago I wouldnt.'

Didn't Apple run a promotional thing about their OS being built on UNIX base when it came out? Anyways, I don't consider Mac OS X to be UNIX in its pure form with all its 'pretty' features and stuff. Anyways, at least its 'UNIX like' and doesn't crash every five minutes, unlike Vista which is 'spyware like' with its dial home features'.

mirek03 > 'linux.., industry standard.?? which Planet.?? planet Zargon!??'

You are joking right? Linux is used to run supercomputers (eg. SGI Altix), nuclear reactors (the ones that didn't do a 3 mile island, the ones that did used Windows) and many other things including workstations for Maya and graphics (Boxx).

Most people think that Linux is this really difficult to use command prompt OS but you can get GUIs on them (quite a lot actually, with ones to suit people who use Windows, Macs). Anyways, command promts are much better than GUIs when you know everthing about an OS, just ask anyone who does a bit of 'cyberspace tresspassing'.

mirek03 04-02-2007 02:21 PM

OK, i admit I'm ignorant about computers, and it seems we are all heading the linux direction.., am I wrong, i get this 'windows is good' 'mac is not so good as windows, but stabler, faster or maybe not faster, depending?? ' and' Linux is stabler enough and virus free enough to be trusted with reactors, and I assume it is fast enough'

mmm???, i am still glad i have the mac, this thread looks like even the guys who don't like macs.., like them??

all very confusing for a simpleton like me :)

Well to be on the safe side I have both and Have more fun on the mac, maybe 'cose it is prettier, why not??

really, i think one needs to spend a bit of time on both before making a choice, we don't all want the same thing, well maybe, sped and performance!! looks like i will end up checking out Linux at some stage but I have command prompts, i dont have the time.., or do I??

The Architect 04-02-2007 03:33 PM

mirek03 > '... am I wrong, i get this 'windows is good' 'mac is not so good as windows, but stabler, faster or maybe not faster, depending?? ' and' Linux is stabler enough and virus free enough to be trusted with reactors, and I assume it is fast enough'

I think the summary is that no one is supporting Windows here and no one really cares about the Mac vs. PC from a hardware point of view. So I guess its not what kind of computer it is but what kind of OS it runs.

publicFunction 04-02-2007 04:15 PM

The MAC vs PC agrument is older that most of the people in this community. It has been raging on for nearly 3 decades, it will rage on until one goes bust (will never happen in my life time).

No one can determine which is better. It's what you as a person are more familiar with and wish to use. A personal preference, if you will. For others its what they use at work, so there is no choice, you use wht your company tell you to and get on with it. Lastly its software, some software is not created for PC, only MAC and vice versa.

Both OS have there good points and there bad points.

As for the no OS comment...

No Operation System = Expensive & Heavy Paperweight.

gster123 04-02-2007 07:31 PM

Your right there, its coming to an argument of which os is better, apples (no pun) or pears, oranges or bananas.

As far people saying that the mac os is easier to learn.. All I do is install a programme than click the little shortcut to load it, which I think most people do, which is the same on both platforms. Maybe im being naive and i'm not too computer savvy??

As far as the Virus argument goes, yep Macs "dont" have them, its only because the people making them havent targeted macs and arn't going to get as much destruction/fun (if you call it that) from a mac virus compared to a windows one, also people seem to "like" the apple company. (do a google for Mac Viruses, theres been a few).

Kind of makes me laugh the new ad campaign apple have overhere as thats what its based on, could say its false advertising???

mirek03 05-02-2007 07:01 AM

yea, may as well be 'whats your favorite colour?'

as for work?? yea, no choice, no way i would have bothered to get a mac except I had to.

anyway, its all good to talk about, why not :)

The Architect 05-02-2007 01:37 PM

gster123 > 'Kind of makes me laugh the new ad campaign apple have overhere as thats what its based on, could say its false advertising???'

The one where the PC is going through 'major surgery' becuase he needs a new webcam but the Mac has one built in already?

lol! Thats funny becuase its so... stupid?

I'm not saying that the Mac webcam is dodgy (I wouldn't know) or the ad itself is bad (I like the humor), but if you want high performance hardware, you are gonna have to 'plug' it in!

R@nSiD > ' The MAC vs PC agrument is older that most of the people in this community. It has been raging on for nearly 3 decades, it will rage on until one goes bust (will never happen in my life time).'

I like to think it ended when IBM stopped making PCs ages ago.

publicFunction 05-02-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
I like to think it ended when IBM stopped making PCs ages ago.
IBM has not stopped manafacturing a home PC, and they still make units for business. Infact I own an IBM Itellistation thats 1 year old and is a dual Xeon 2.8. The MAC v's PC argument will live as long as the PC and Mac are being made.

Remember IBM are not the only peolple in the world to make a PC. HP, Dell, Packard Bell, IBM, Fujistsu-Seimens, Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, NEC, Mitsubishi the list is endless.

gster123 05-02-2007 02:16 PM

No these ones

http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/

There basically saying that PC's need to restart and macs dont (hmm ive been on some of the newer ones that do), that Macs are Home Pc's not really for business, they both run office, (But dont say that you might need to get a sepperate os for extra cash), etc etc

So if you take them for what they are saying, Macs are great for the home!

mirek03 05-02-2007 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gster,mate.., if you have never had much experience on a Mac, well you start to appear dog headed and going for the throat. No one hates PCs, I like all computers and 6 months ago would have backed you up (even though i had hardly used a mac. why is that??) but not now. I think if you spent a lot of time on a mac I think you might get hooked (they ARE addictive).

As for your comment (and I have thought about it a lot since getting FCP because I did stick it out with Avid at your advice, true!) before that FCP and Avid are similar, the only thing I see that IS similar is the timeline (slight exaggeration) and a few tools. FCP is soo much more friendly, at least these days anyway, I have 5.1 and man, its like using the most simplest program with the most high end results an it is fast fast fast. I have seem people fly on Avid (dont forget I use ProTools, an Avid product and Avid too) but FCP intel 5.1., is just as fast.

If your talking Pro.., then its a matter of preference is all, too many camps using Avid verses FCP in the Pro world; past that is FILM editing, now THERE is an ART, Im not talking digital, I'm talking celuloid. (I know you know all this but anyway...) That's where things might get a little more limited to the editors experience, but seeing as we are talking digital here, well, I think it is preference.

as for starting up, yes, most high end programs need a restart on the I Mac intel, but so what anyway, who cares and whoever suggested that it is a plus that Macs do not need a restart must be retarded or groping for a sales pitch, very poor advertising, I would have thought a Mac stood on its own for a number of reasons past that (one, they are pretty LOL :) and the PC is ugly ugly LOL :) )

as for the camera, it IS quality, but I know some who cover it because it is intrusive, but it IS quality. as proof here is a picture of me, showing JUST' my 'good' side LOL taken on the Mac inbulit I cam

publicFunction 05-02-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
There basically saying that PC's need to restart
A famous company by the name of Microsoft stated that with XP, it would mean the end of reboots. Well that was bollox.

Never believe what you see in advertising, marketing is all about misleading you to buy the product, with out actaully mis-selling it and stayin' as legal as possible.

For the record Gster worked for Apple.

mirek03 05-02-2007 02:58 PM

sorry guys looks like i got names and posts mixed :)

gster123 05-02-2007 02:59 PM

I have had quite a bit of experience on a mac, I worked on them for about 6 months.

As for being dog headded and going for the throat, i'm not at all, I was showing the adverts that are being used over here to promote Mac's and taking them at face value, whats the impression you get from them?? Also you agreed with me on the restart point in your last post, so you must get the same impression from the ad's??

As for the Avid/final cut pro I said that they are very similar, which I found to be true, layout, shortcut keys, effects etc etc.

One of my mates had the Mac book pro and hes never off the built in camera doing things like youve posted, he loves it! He does lots of sound recording like yourself using Pro tools, which kicks the arse of pretty much any PC software in that department!

The Architect 05-02-2007 03:22 PM

R@nSiD > 'IBM has not stopped manafacturing a home PC, and they still make units for business. Infact I own an IBM Itellistation thats 1 year old and is a dual Xeon 2.8. The MAC v's PC argument will live as long as the PC and Mac are being made.'

... that was a joke. The original IBM PC? Anyways...

I thought IBM sold their non workstation, server, supercomputer line to Lenovo a couple years back... They still make PCs????

gster123 > 'There basically saying that PC's need to restart and macs dont (hmm ive been on some of the newer ones that do), that Macs are Home Pc's not really for business, they both run office, (But dont say that you might need to get a sepperate os for extra cash), etc etc'

Is restarting really that bad that it can be a major selling point?

R@nSiD > 'Never believe what you see in advertising, marketing is all about misleading you to buy the product, with out actaully mis-selling it and stayin' as legal as possible.'

True. Anyone seen the Vista ads where you have all these people saying 'wow' to things like snow and then Vista? The only reason I can think of that will make me say 'wow' when I'm using Vista is when it crashes before I logon...

mirek03 > 'I think if you spent a lot of time on a mac I think you might get hooked (they ARE addictive).'

Hmm... Addictive hey? Wait, I think I'm getting a conspiracy theory! lol