Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   yoda (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25202)

mastone 24-02-2007 01:58 PM

yoda

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I'm currently modeling yoda(from starwars;) ).
I'm not nearly finished yet, but i like the eyes already,especially since i only used procedural textures.
I want to use the mental ray skinshader and i know this will be really (bliep, bliep) knowing mental ray shaders:p
I want to model the big creases in his head, but i want to texture the small ones, if someone has any idea how to do this to get the best results i would appreciate it .
Any other advice is welcome of course.
cheers

mastone 28-02-2007 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is my halftime render, it still needs some work around the eyes.

ColdWave 28-02-2007 12:51 AM

You can work a little bit of the mouth to be more natural.
but i like your model ! w8ing for progress :)

mastone 28-02-2007 12:55 AM

yes your right about the mouth, i need to make some edges hard because i smoothed the rough model, create the mouth opening, make some teeth etc.
but thanks for your comment.;)

mastone 01-03-2007 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
adjusted it a little bit .......

mastone 02-03-2007 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm detailing everything now, there's still some work to be done around the ears, mouth en several other area's but i'm starting to like it:attn:
Comments and/or critique are still welcome of course

ColdWave 02-03-2007 03:07 PM

It looks really good now :) w8ing for update

MrTerminator 02-03-2007 03:36 PM

that looks quit good. Make a white background in the next renders ;)

bobalie 02-03-2007 05:07 PM

maybe some hair? Sparse and white.
Good job so far!

mastone 02-03-2007 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thxs for the compliments guys.
I still need to tweak some thingsand add some hair of course
Maybe i"ll get around to it tonight but maybe in the following week.
I've added an ambient light to the scene so that the overall image is a little brighter

mastone 02-03-2007 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
adjusted nose and ears, applied some textures etc. any crits are welcome

mastone 02-03-2007 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another image....

Emo 03-03-2007 05:42 AM

Looks great... dont forget the hair at the end lol

roco5000 03-03-2007 02:31 PM

wow, that looks good! i'm gonna keep an eye on this one!

kinda off topic:
any-one know why in episode III they made yoda look younger and different than episode II? its something thats been bugger me for ages!
The only excuse i can think of is that the force in general is stronger and yoda feeds off the force, so it makes him better, just like when we eat a healthier diet!?!? (as well as new technologies in CGI stuff)

Gamester 03-03-2007 04:08 PM

Very cool really.....just change the background or the lights intensity, cause Yoda always was the simbol of light and your image is to dark for that.....just a critic :D

Keep doing it :attn:

Are you going to do the body?

Best Regards

Gamester

mastone 03-03-2007 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@ emo; no I won't

@roco 5000; thanks and I haven't even noticed the difference between episode2 and episode 3 yoda

@gamester;I've made a lighter render just for you:hug:
(off topic; when i rendered the previous /darker images it looked quite good and i could see al the detail but when i look at the image on another monitor the picture is to dark.
i have a samsung syncmaster 940 bf monitor(tft), could you or anybody else tell me why this is ?)
And yes i want to do the body also, i'm even thinking of animating him, make him play around with his lightsaber a little bit;)

roco5000 03-03-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
make him play around with his lightsaber a little bit;)
hey keep it clean, i dont want to see that sort of behavour with yoda!

mastone 03-03-2007 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
not that kind of playing:eek:
I've posted a render cause i didn't like the way he looked, so i've adjusted him a little bit, and i think he looks a lot more yoda, let me know what you think

bobalie 03-03-2007 10:40 PM

I personally don't think that the dome of his head goes quite that high . . . what do you think guys? Regardless, it's miles away from what I could ever do right now, so I shouldn't critisize :P
Good job! If you want a really easy animation, just have him meditating :P

04-03-2007 01:20 AM

check THIS out
tutorial for the sight-balls ... thats right i said it!!!

also i agree the model is goo exept for the top of the head i think it a little of on the dome part:beer:

Gamester 04-03-2007 04:27 AM

Much better your last render :beer:

Are you using mental ray ou mayasoftware rendering?

roco5000 04-03-2007 01:06 PM

i prefer the one with narrower eyes and teeth showing, here's some pics for you:
http://baixaki.ig.com.br/imagens/wpa...ode-3-6800.jpg

http://www.gamez.nl/upload/781358_61...11262-yoda.jpg

http://files.myopera.com/Nyingje/alb....png_thumb.jpg
i know those 3 hav all the darker look of "i'm gonna lighsabre your ass off, come and get it" instead of the crazier lighter yoda, but i got the feeling of darker yoda from your earlier ones

AnthonyCg 04-03-2007 01:31 PM

The modeling looks great, but Yoda's skin is more so a dirtier green than a pure green and I bet if you used fur, you'd get some good hair going.

mastone 04-03-2007 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@roco;
thanks for the pictures but I already have those images except, for the desktop one.
(If you look carefully to the head of that first image you posted you will see that when you split the head in two, yoda has like two different faces it looks very good )
@gamester;
thank you and i did a layer render with ambient occlusion and a beauty layer both with mental ray
@ acid44; thanks for the tutorial, and appreciate the critique;)
@bobalie;Thanks for your comment, and i disagree with you about you could not critisize my work because you(think you) cannot do it.
I posted the image here so that maybe someone could spot something i didn't see and maybe as doubtfull as it is( i am a slowwww learner) i will learn something, so that i will be better at the end.
@ echo red;
About the skin; i know it isn't the right skin colour i actually tried the mental ray skin shader, but suffice to say that it wasn't a succes:headbang:, so it will probably will be a blinn with some procedural textures and a bump map
About the hair; i don't know if i will you use hair or fur i think i will try both on see what looks best.
anywho thanks for your comments.
a little remark on the side;
Making yoda proves much more difficult than i originally anticipated every reference image i have from yoda looks different.
I'm trying to model yoda like a mix between the 'dark' yoda and the 'crazy light' yoda so i need to tweak the model some more with work and all i will probably start with the body in the weekend if it will go as planned anyways.
A little tip for people who are just starting with modeling of characters; delete half of your character and add a mirrored smooth proxy to the remaining half, so you will get a cleaner model i've attached an image which explains this a little bit more

roco5000 04-03-2007 03:28 PM

i dont follow you with the two faces? ive put it into photoshop and cut it roughly down the middle and viewd both sides seperately, maybe yo can explain what i should be lokoing for

mastone 04-03-2007 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the only thing i ment was that when you look at th right and left half of the face there are slight differences, so that when you would cut the face in the middle and copied and mirrored left and attache this to the left side and did the same for the right side you would get two different faces :lol:
I've edited the rightside of the face quickely in photoshop(so it looks crappy but you"ll get the general idea(i hope) )

wasatch5_sparticus 04-03-2007 07:16 PM

looks like you're making some real "head-way" on this project! lol KUTGW!

Sparticus

roco5000 05-03-2007 01:09 PM

i would have said it was the expression on his face myself :P

mastone 08-03-2007 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi i just want to post another render before going to bed;)

bobalie 09-03-2007 12:07 AM

He looks really good, and I really hope not to offend, but he looks . . . childish? I'm not sure why, but he looks very young. You know Yoda, hes like 900 years old lol. Maybe its the lack of old whispy hairs? What do you guys think?

EDIT***: as an edit, and looking at the pic, I defintely think thta its the hair you need. GO on!

Gamester 09-03-2007 09:17 AM

Better, much better.....just think that yoda seems a little 2 fat and just like bobalie said, seems a little younger than he is

But very good now :D

AnthonyCg 09-03-2007 04:44 PM

The skin color looks great now. I do agree with Gamester though;
the head looks a little flat.

severinianthony 09-03-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bobalie
He looks really good, and I really hope not to offend, but he looks . . . childish? I'm not sure why, but he looks very young. You know Yoda, hes like 900 years old lol. Maybe its the lack of old whispy hairs? What do you guys think?

When 900 years old you are, look as good you will not!

But aye, he needs more definition on his brow, such as winkles in addition to the funky surface that is Yoda's forehead.

Other than that, I agree that grey wisps of hair will do it, too.

mastone 09-03-2007 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with al of you guys so there's no argument there, i wanted to put some grey hairs on him, but it was already very late like 1 o'clock in the evening/ night and the alarmclock is set to 6 o'clock so needless to say it was to late to be doing that. it would also mean that i would rush it and f#ck it all up.
I personally don't think he looks to flat, but i agree that he looks to fat, i think that this is easily solved by pulling the vertices around the cheekbone down and back, to get that skinny look.
The aging part could in my opinion be solved by pulling down the lower eyelid and make it more oval.
then make the browridge more arched, the grey hair would obviously help of course.
then there are the aging/ liver-spots on the top of his head(see attached image), i think i'm going to solve that by using a layered shader
And the last part to make yoda older is something i don't know how to do for sure and that is the dimples around his cheekbone and on his upperlip, i think i will model it because i suck bigtime in texturing let alone painting one by hand in photoshop.
in time i want to improve my skill in texturing, but at the moment my texturingskill isn't good enough to make something that realistic, so there you have it i'm not perfect :lol:

leonlabyk 09-03-2007 06:16 PM

Great stuff, you have got a lot of character going on with the face for such a low res model. Also, have you got any plans to make the rest of him and give him his saber.

looking forward to more on this.

mastone 10-03-2007 10:14 AM

yes i wanted to do the start on his body this weekend but the head isn't finished yet so we"ll see
and thanks for all the compliments they are boosting morale here :p

mastone 10-03-2007 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi , i applied some fur to his head, and moddeled some creases in his head to get a more aged look

mastone 11-03-2007 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've just started with the body, i will later adjust the head when everything is done so i can look at it with a clear view.
I'm modeling his actual body and i will later use cloth to give him some clothes

AnthonyCg 12-03-2007 04:50 AM

Body modeling is looking good so far. I think you should decrease the fur size and make it a little greyer.

Gamester 12-03-2007 05:21 AM

It's becoming really nice

Just want to give you an advice for your body modeling......don't forget that yoda is known by is great mind strength not the body strengh, but don't forget that he is a jedi and he got a very strong training so don't make him to slim