Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   yoda (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25202)

mastone 25-12-2010 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And another update :playfull:

Jay 25-12-2010 12:15 AM

Fantastic Progression Mastone!!

Keep it up mate. Its good to watch someone evolve as an artist -well done.

Jay

mastone 25-12-2010 12:57 AM

Hey Jay

How have you been?
And thanks for the compliment, I am, for the first time, a bit sour about it being christmas tomorrow 'cause I really wanted to finis this one up this weekend..... ah well maybe I can pull an Ebenzer on the 2nd Christmas day( yes we dutch have 2 christmas days, probably because of the rising divorce rate since the 50's LOL ) :)

Mayaniac 25-12-2010 10:37 AM

Nice. It would be cool to see him posed with a lightsaber!

mastone 27-12-2010 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mayaniac
If you take a look at page 9, then somewhere in the middle of that page you will find your needs satisfied " saberwise" ;)

I just started blocking out the cloth texture of the garment, it took me forever since spotlight kept crashing on me, in the end I loaded a couple of tetures in as alpha's en used the dragrect brush to get in the details, which in the end worked out just fine especially since I finally saw what I was doing ( with spotlight you don't actually see what you are painting ).
The stupid border around his neck cost me around 30 minutes but it was well worth it since it adds a certain realism to the cloth...and to the character.

It's still in blocking out stage, but I like it already, I will keep the detail of the clothgarment somewhat finer, since I will be planning to make the clothpattern of the robe/cape a bit coarser adding a little contrast between the two.

Anywho...hope you like it:playfull:

BrianM 27-12-2010 04:08 AM

That's a great looking model mastone hoping I'll become good enough to make something like that in the future. Lots of nice detail going on.

mastone 27-12-2010 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Brian,

Thanks, but aim a little higher then my skillset ;), just keep on practising and you"ll get there.

Well another day another post ;):
- did some basic blocking in of the texture, of the overcoat/cape
-Have refined the head some more, he loks a bit like a sith yoda because of the eye coloration , but don't worry once back in Maya I will set up proper eyes these are just placeholders

mastone 27-12-2010 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started blocking in the texture of yoda himself

murambi 27-12-2010 10:12 PM

wow love the textures one question though will you be rendering in maya and if so how will you bring in the textures displacement or normal maps

mastone 27-12-2010 10:35 PM

Hi Murambi

Thanks,

yes will render in Maya with renderman and use displacement and bump map as well as color and specular maps

Perfecto 27-12-2010 10:42 PM

Are you still working on his eyes? I ask because everything is looking so incredible awesome but for some reason his eyes don't seem as high of quality as the rest of him.

mastone 27-12-2010 11:12 PM

LOL, the eyes are just placeholders I have imported in ZBrush, but to get a bit character I painted the eyes a bit instead of rendering with the white globes, so in short yes I will do the eyes properly ;)

mastone 29-12-2010 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here is a testrender I did with renderman, generating each set of maps( body, cloth and cape) costed around 30-45 minutes to generate so it was a reall test of patience had some Zbrush crashes in the meantime as well, but in the end quite worth it :playfull:

bullet1968 29-12-2010 02:19 PM

Mate that does look cool...hmmmm Star Wars...jeez man that seemed so long ago..sigh...light sabre at the end mate?? or character only, it will be?

cheers bullet

mastone 30-12-2010 02:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Go the whole nine yards with this one I will ...

I spent the better part of the day (and night apparently) tweaking shaders light and all that sod.
But without wanting to be arrogant....it is AWESOME :)

bullet1968 30-12-2010 03:06 AM

maybe a tad bright on the dome you are.. a little light under the chin, needed it is. LOL that does look much better though mate

cheers bullet

AWESOME bahahahahah

mastone 31-12-2010 02:05 PM

A bright light it is, but like it al the more I do.
But testing out renderman I am so away put your weapons I mean you no harm LOL.

Started rigging I have and fall to the dark side I probably will, since tedious and slow this proces is

honestdom 31-12-2010 03:05 PM

hey looks really good!
I agree the top light is burning things out. I also think the texture on the cloth looks like its the wrong scale and stretched/skewed. I don't get why the cloths are lighter inside?

Still dont know why you are using renderman :P
its cool, but you could get the same result in mental ray and not spend 350 quid on a renderman license!

mastone 31-12-2010 04:05 PM

Hey Honest

Glad you like it ;)
With regards to the cloth: I did this on purpose I am doing a hommage to the puppet yoda from the empire strikes back ( although I do take a bit artistic license..) and there his cloth seams are even larger, it also enhances the fact that he is small in size.
The reason I use renderman is the same reason I use Maya over 3ds max, it speaks to me the camera effects are blazingly fast displacement renders just as quickly as if it isn't even there I have used 8K maps and it still renders out in 15 minutes.
regarding the light I off course see that the top is bright, but going down it gives (at least on my monitor(s) )a reall nice fall of, i am not saying this will be the definite lighting scheme, nor that is the perfect lighting set up, but i can see everything just fine .
don't know why the cloth at the back is brighter could be because of the hdr image or the sss-shader, but it will be fixed upon finalizing

mastone 06-01-2011 02:09 AM

Got a bit sick of rigging today , so did a testrender on a modified mesh hope you like it
C & C is most welcomehttp://www.eyellem.nl/rendermantestrender.jpg

mastone 12-01-2011 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been fiddling with getting on some of his hair ( amongst other things):playfull:

bullet1968 13-01-2011 03:32 AM

looking good mate....are you going to put him in the Dagobah scene?

cheers bullet

mastone 13-01-2011 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah how did you know?
I have been making a start with it actually

bullet1968 14-01-2011 12:35 AM

There was a disturbance in the force....strong it was.

Well it was a wild guess...judging by his age and the fact he was in Dagobah when Luke went for training, so a guess LOL. Looking good man!

cheers bullet

mastone 16-01-2011 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah the force run strong in your family it does ;)

Have been fiddling with the stick and his hair

bullet1968 16-01-2011 09:16 PM

Oh it does LOL...number 2 son is addicted!

mastone 23-01-2011 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been tweaking the head ....

mastone 06-02-2011 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been tweaking and fiddling,here's a link to an animated GIF:
http://www.eyellem.nl/Yoda_comp.gif

C & C is most welcome

bullet1968 07-02-2011 12:24 AM

LOL looks good mate...love it

tweetytunes 07-02-2011 12:57 AM

Looks cool - apart from the feet, think they could with some more work - they are not at the same level as the face which is looking really good

TDW 07-02-2011 11:14 AM

Didn't notice the missing level of detail on the feet so much, but they should be a bit larger i think. Appear a bit small compared to he hands. Character as such is cool, great job on the head!!!

TDW ;)

mastone 07-02-2011 06:10 PM

Thanks guys, will work on the feet

chilledoutredhead 07-02-2011 06:21 PM

really great work, especially after seeing the original image you posted

Mayaniac 07-02-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilledoutredhead (Post 313863)

Woah!!! I just jumped back to the start of this thread. Such an improvement from the original.

mastone 12-02-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilledoutredhead (Post 313863)

Well it was a long time ago...in a galaxy far far away since I posted that first image and luckily I tend to improve over time ;).
I was going to amaze you guys with another render, but since my license for renderman expired the scene file doesn't load renderman is somehow encoded in the scene file and since I haven't saved as an .ma file I can't open the file in notepad grrr.
So I will probably have to wait until somewhere next week until I can open it up again.
Ah well back to Zbrush then ;)

optimistic 12-02-2011 07:30 PM

good work..........

mastone 12-02-2011 07:57 PM

Thanks guys !!!

mastone 13-02-2011 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since I have to await my new renderman license ( can't open a scene with renderman nodes in it without getting a license pop up followed by a crash we"ll have to make due with a zbrush render ;)

the_basilisk 15-02-2011 12:05 AM

thats awesome, have you made any animations with him? I read through the whole thread today. I like your clothes, ive tried making clothes in maya and in other programs but i cant make any realistic clothes, how did you do it?

the_basilisk 15-02-2011 12:07 AM

And the platform holding his house should look a bit more like a hill a think, because it doesnt look natural, make it sharper too.